• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In a Car without CCW

Whtdragn

imported post

Ok I got this from the horses mouth as you might say from one of the State Police at the Kentucky State Fair On sunday.

Question if you are Open Carrying and do not have a CCW where in the car is it legal to have the gun.

Answer : Dashboard, Seat Next to you in the open, Glovebox.

However he suggestedkeeping in the Glove box.

hotrod

imported post

Whtdragn wrote:
Ok I got this from the horses mouth as you might say from one of the State Police at the Kentucky State Fair On sunday.

Question if you are Open Carrying and do not have a CCW where in the car is it legal to have the gun.

You can have it in holster on your side, laying in your lamp, balanced on your head, taped to the steering wheel, etc. as long as it is not concealed. Open carry is very liberal in the Commonwealth.

superdemon

imported post

hotrod wrote:
Whtdragn wrote:

You can have it in holster on your side, laying in your lamp, balanced on your head, taped to the steering wheel, etc. as long as it is not concealed. Open carry is very liberal in the Commonwealth.
If it is not easily seen from the B-Pillar of the vehicle, it is concealed. If it was on the driver's side right hip, it would be concealed from the officer's view.

hotrod

imported post

If it's open and in a holster that is on the hip, right or left side, it is not concealed, there is case law in the Commonwealth on this very thing. I know they don't teach that left side b pillar approach at Richmond.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

hotrod wrote:
If it's open and in a holster that is on the hip, right or left side, it is not concealed, there is case law in the Commonwealth on this very thing. I know they don't teach that left side b pillar approach at Richmond.

I believe you're referring to Reid v. Commonwealth, 298 Ky. 800, 184 S.W.2d 101 (1944).

superdemon

imported post

hotrod wrote:

Didn't realize that there was case law on the matter, but in basic, they told us if you can't see it from the B pillar, it's concealed.

And yes, the DOCJT teaches the left side standart 8 point walk up.

hotrod

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
hotrod wrote:

I believe you're referring to Reid v. Commonwealth, 298 Ky. 800, 184 S.W.2d 101 (1944).
WVCDL you are the man. I hadn't taken the time to lookat thecase law, but, I know it is required reading. Thanks

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

If you have the concealed permit from KY or accepted state, you need not worry about whether a hip holstered gun, partly concealed by the seatbelt, is "concealed."

Statesman

imported post

hotrod wrote:
Whtdragn wrote:

What about dangling freely from the visor ? :celebrate

hotrod

imported post

Statesman wrote:
hotrod wrote:
Whtdragn wrote:

What about dangling freely from the visor ? :celebrate
Only with the proper lanyard

TheMrMitch

imported post

[align=left]Traveler's checklist:[/align]
[align=left] *Firearms Ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]
[align=left]
*Assault weapon ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]
[align=left] *Machine Gun Ownership:
no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only[/align]
[align=left] *Firearm law uniformity:
preemption law, firearm laws uniform throughout state[/align]
[align=left] *Right of Self-Defense: castle doctrine, right protected by statute[/align]
[align=left] *Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted[/align]
[align=left] *Concealed carry:
licenses granted to residents on a "shall issue" basis; automatic
reciprocity for nonresidents with licenses from other states[/align]

[align=left] *Vehicle carry and transportation:
firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may
be carried
loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns maybe carried in
the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed)
[/align]
[align=left][/align]

TheMrMitch

imported post

Passenger seat will be your call. IF the officer can see it, and says so, it shall NOT be deemed concealed.

Before one could carry concealed, I put mine on the dash or in the glove box.

Statesman

imported post

Hrm, I don't know if I'd want to put it on the dash. I can see someone freaking out about a guy with a gun on his dashboard, since it's pointing in some direction, possibly towards them.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I laid mine against the windshield, muzzle to the right. The hardest part was to keep it from sliding.....but I don't drive like a racer.....usually no problem. Do only what you're comfortable with....and legal.