• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good news for those who choose to buy online...

G

imported post

I contacted CDNN a few days ago inquiring about pricing of a HK P2000 LEM .40s&w. He told me on their end they do not collect taxes. I then call the Pawn Shop here in Oak Harbor that is FFL Licensed and asked them about taxes. The owner told me the only thing they collect is the transfer fees. Life is good:celebrate

amlevin

Be prepared

Here's a good write-up on this subject from Olympic Arm's Owner's Association Forum

http://www.oa2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10618

According to this, your FFL is NOT following the State Law. YOU are still liable for the Sales/Use Tax even if he doesn't collect it.

RCW 82.12.040(1) states:

Every person who maintains in this state a place of business or a stock of goods, or engages in business activities within this state, shall obtain from the department a certificate of registration, and shall, at the time of making sales of tangible personal property, extended warranties, or sales of any service defined as a retail sale in RCW 82.04.050 (2)(a) or (3)(a), or making transfers of either possession or title, or both, of tangible personal property for use in this state, collect from the purchasers or transferees the tax imposed under this chapter. The tax to be collected under this section shall be in an amount equal to the purchase price multiplied by the rate in effect for the retail sales tax under RCW 82.08.020. (Emphasis added).

Don't celebrate yet. The tax is still due and don't put it past the State to fine BOTH the Dealer and the Transferee.

joeroket

Here's a good write-up on this subject from Olympic Arm's Owner's Association Forum

http://www.oa2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10618

According to this, your FFL is NOT following the State Law. YOU are still liable for the Sales/Use Tax even if he doesn't collect it.

RCW 82.12.040(1) states:

Every person who maintains in this state a place of business or a stock of goods, or engages in business activities within this state, shall obtain from the department a certificate of registration, and shall, at the time of making sales of tangible personal property, extended warranties, or sales of any service defined as a retail sale in RCW 82.04.050 (2)(a) or (3)(a), or making transfers of either possession or title, or both, of tangible personal property for use in this state, collect from the purchasers or transferees the tax imposed under this chapter. The tax to be collected under this section shall be in an amount equal to the purchase price multiplied by the rate in effect for the retail sales tax under RCW 82.08.020. (Emphasis added).

Don't celebrate yet. The tax is still due and don't put it past the State to fine BOTH the Dealer and the Transferee.

+1

joejoejoe

The State cannot afford to solve mundane crimes like car theft; I don't think they have the manpower to regulate out of state purchases. If it were in the amount of 5,000 or over, I could see an eye being turned. However, WA doesn't require gun registration, so this seems like it would be nothing more than a craigslist sale.

Joe~

amlevin

The State cannot afford to solve mundane crimes like car theft; I don't think they have the manpower to regulate out of state purchases. If it were in the amount of 5,000 or over, I could see an eye being turned. However, WA doesn't require gun registration, so this seems like it would be nothing more than a craigslist sale.

Joe~

Unlike solving car theft crime where the state does not realize any revenue but actually the opposite due to police costs, chasing down those who evade the "Use Tax" does interest them. Enough that there are people who's sole job is to do so working for the Department of Revenue.

Washington may not require registration but the purchase of a handgun does require paperwork that clearly discloses who has purchased firearms, if they were sold from the Dealer's stock, or were transfers.

Almost every business in the State of Washington, at one time or another receives an audit by the Department of Revenue. It is specifically geared to making sure that the businesses are collecting the appropriate sales taxes.

All an auditor has to do is compare 4473's, State Forms, Sales Records, and the Excise Tax reporting form to see if the Sales Tax or Use Tax has been collected. Since this is new you can be assured that they are looking.

For those that remember back to when vehicle registrations were based on an annual excise tax of just over 2% of the "fair(?) market value" of the vehicle, and many were licensing their cars, boats, motorhomes, and airplanes in Oregon, the State Patrol assigned "detectives" to chase down these "tax evaders".

Never think that the State won't be coming after the taxes due. It is what they do, no matter how much it p!$$es us all off.

BTW, I know you didn't "name" the business but in the future you might do the business a favor by merely refering to "this business I know about" and then pass the identifying info on via e-mail or PM for those that are interested. No point in posting the info for anyone in the State Government to read while they are snooping here. Let them earn their pay.

Last edited:

trevorthebusdriver

I was pricing pistols and FFL transfers and was surprised to find the new law about collecting sales tax. It almost negates the online price advantage especially when you can find internet-low prices at Outdoor Sportsman right next to Safeco Field. Every gun is literally over $100 cheaper than Wade's in Bellevue.

amlevin

I was pricing pistols and FFL transfers and was surprised to find the new law about collecting sales tax. It almost negates the online price advantage especially when you can find internet-low prices at Outdoor Sportsman right next to Safeco Field. Every gun is literally over $100 cheaper than Wade's in Bellevue.

For handguns it's almost impossible to save anymore. If you want to build an AR-15 however, buy the stripped lower locally, and then order the rest. I have built several AR's and my savings have been as much as 20% when you consider the savings on SST. If you watch the "Coupon Codes" for company's like Brownell's and Midway-USA, you can often get free shipping. THAT makes it even better.

Trigger Dr

Trevor, check these guys out! My piece was cheaper than Outdoor Sportsman even including the FFL + tax.
Too bad I lost it in a tragic boating accident. :cool:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

I recently read the obituary ofr a longtime friend. I had sold him my entire gun collection about 4 month before he died. His wife told me she sold them all in an estate sale last weekend. I sure would have liked to buy them back. My loss.