• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Assistant Police Chief arrested for DUI

bayboy42

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
Who said the officer was carrying at all? In fact, the story didn't even suggest the officer was carrying.
I have never seen an on duty or off duty officer, drunk or sober, thatwas not carrying a weapon in their car or upon their person.
And I've seen many that were off duty, stone-cold sober and not carrying a weapon. I can't explain it but its true. Just the other day I was asked to come help move a hot tub. Three of the other fellas were off duty officers. Due to the location of the tub and the obstacles between its resting place and the trailer, I expected that most of them would either have to readjust or remove their weapons in order to carry the behemouth tub at some funny angles. None had any problems........becuase they weren't carrying:what:

tripledipper

imported post

I knew many NYPD cops who hadstopped carrying off-duty years ago, especially when they wereattending social functions, asguns and alcohol are indeeda volatile combination.Some also believed, right or wrong,that when their tour ended so did their responsibility to take action, as"the job" was quick toscrutinizeoff-duty involvements. You just can'tstereotype, andthis isanother example of howpersonal agendas and axes to grind rule these types of forums and theoriginal purpose is lost somewherein themix. IMHO, some onhere seem to enjoy the factthatothers makeerrors in judgment or make mistakes in the application of the law, and almost want to be confronted or challengedwhen they areOC'ing, which isof course is their right to do so.

nitrovic

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
Who said the officer was carrying at all? In fact, the story didn't even suggest the officer was carrying.
I have never seen an on duty or off duty officer, drunk or sober, thatwas not carrying a weapon in their car or upon their person.
I don't know what area you work, but I rarely see other officers carry off duty. I very rarely do unless I am going to a high crime area.

nitrovic

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
peter nap wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
ed wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
What does this have to do with open carry?
Actually, it has alot to do with it. Any high ranking officer is always under a microscope anyway. When I personally asked VA Gov. Tim Kaine why he VETOed the carry bill, he said that he met with many high ranking police officers to get his bearings for what to do. I am simply saying that we are all human... cops too... and am not bashing anyone according to race or sex... or job for that matter.

If that cop wanted to get absolutely smashed, cant stand up drunk... let her (in the privacy of her own home). But she did not.. she did it publicly and endangered you and I and others. And she did this against an oath that she swore to uphold.

When those that are in position to uphold the law then break the laws and influence lawmakers it can effect rights.. even open carry rights. It's a stretch I know. But it is also a domino effect. Just like the DC Heller case... it was not a landslide win for gun owners but it is a small step in the right direction. Then we will take another step, and another, etc.

Ed
If we are all "equal", then it should not have any bearing of her being a police officer. Like I said, this has NOTHING to do with open carry. Simply a police bashing thread.

Vic, the discussion hasn't been bashing, just discussing.
Since I felt guilty over how you were initially treated and tried to apologize before you took your last vacation from here, I'll do a little bashing now and John can delete the post.

Posting things like this on the net http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87046

Burned every last bridge you had with me. Every time you show up, it's the same complaint/whine session.

I don't think your a troll anymore, I think you're a cuff key short of a pair and I suspect that's why your not a cop anymore.

So why don';t you go to the McDonalds forum or whatever it is you do for a living now, and stop stirring up problems that don't exist here.

Don't bother responding because I'm through even reading your posts.
It's the same old cop bashing it is ever was. Nothing has changed. I could care less if you read my posts or not. Who said I wasn't a cop anymore? Anyway, you're just like the rest. Keep on bashing!!!
There are 3 current threads praising LEOs and their responses to situations. Two threads recounting bad LEO reactions but not bashing and concerned about ensuring training for LEO rather than any punishment.

But now THIS thread, that has now been derailed over personality rather than topic, will be the one that LEO readers will be directed towards to prove anything bad someone wants to insinuate. :banghead:

Excepting parts of the last few posts, since Nitrovic came back last month he had been making just regular posts and I had agreed with most of what he said. Actually I was pretty much agreeing with him in this thread until he said "Simply a police bashing thread." The response of "Vic, the discussion hasn't been bashing, just discussing," was right on too, IMO, and I wish it had stopped there.

And for the record, to paint the entire forum with a broad brush based on the interpretation of a few member's comments in a single thread is disingenuous and unfair.
I agree, I shouldn't have made it sound like the whole board was like that. However, it is a LARGE stretch to imply that this thread has any connection to anything about Virginia open carry.

nitrovic

imported post

peter nap wrote:
nitrovic wrote: Who said I wasn't a cop anymore?

You did Dickhead!

OOPS...I can't say Dickhead here...Sorry My Bad!

I mean..... You did Ex Officer NitroVic who has to eat bananas to control your diarrhea while body building so he can get a new job.
You are referencing a post over eight months ago. Why the personal attacks Peter, I always thought that was beneath you. Very dissapointing. I like the fact that you are at least checking up on me on other boards though. Yes, it's true, I intake a lot of protein shakes so I have to eat bananas to settle my tummy. Guilty as charged sir.:celebrate

nitrovic

imported post

peter nap wrote:
hsmith wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Thundar,

I was transporting a prisoner convicted of capital murder to prison that day. I ran into a traffic accident that put me almost 1.5 hours behind my scheduled arrival time and needed to complete my transport before dark. The trooper did not take any of that into consideration. I contend that common sense should have been the phrase of the day and that the trooper was a real jerk.
I think any of us here would agree that was unreasonable. I think what gets under peoples skin is sites like "copswritingcops.com" and seeing officers speeding on the highway to get back to their speed trap to write another ticket.

I see no issue with speeding for necessary reasons at all - i want a cop to get to my house if i need him. You needed to get a capital criminal to the destination, no harm no foul!

The speeding itself doesn;t bother me. We all do it and it's no more legal for the officer than it is for me. If you don't get caught, you don't get caught.

What does concern me though, is that all Va. Municipalities that I know of are self insured. They are also damn bad about paying claims. If an officer is speeding and is involved in an accident, it's your responsibility to show he was breaking Va law or acting recklessly. That's hard to do ig the Officer won't admit to speeding.

If you sue, they just claim Sovereign immunity and the case gets thrown out.
Not true at all. It IS more legal for an officer to speed than it would be for you. It all depends on that departmentg G.O's and what the officer was responding to. As far as crashes involving officers go, most jurisdictions (ecspecially large northern Va ones) will send a supervisor and crash investigator to most officer involved accident scenes. Even if the officer is running code they still have culpability at red lights, stop signs etc. It all depends on what department you are involved with.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nitrovic wrote:
peter nap wrote:
hsmith wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Thundar,

I was transporting a prisoner convicted of capital murder to prison that day. I ran into a traffic accident that put me almost 1.5 hours behind my scheduled arrival time and needed to complete my transport before dark. The trooper did not take any of that into consideration. I contend that common sense should have been the phrase of the day and that the trooper was a real jerk.
I think any of us here would agree that was unreasonable. I think what gets under peoples skin is sites like "copswritingcops.com" and seeing officers speeding on the highway to get back to their speed trap to write another ticket.

I see no issue with speeding for necessary reasons at all - i want a cop to get to my house if i need him. You needed to get a capital criminal to the destination, no harm no foul!

The speeding itself doesn;t bother me. We all do it and it's no more legal for the officer than it is for me. If you don't get caught, you don't get caught.

What does concern me though, is that all Va. Municipalities that I know of are self insured. They are also damn bad about paying claims. If an officer is speeding and is involved in an accident, it's your responsibility to show he was breaking Va law or acting recklessly. That's hard to do ig the Officer won't admit to speeding.

Not true at all. It IS more legal for an officer to speed than it would be for you. It all depends on that departmentg G.O's and what the officer was responding to. As far as crashes involving officers go, most jurisdictions (ecspecially large northern Va ones) will send a supervisor and crash investigator to most officer involved accident scenes. Even if the officer is running code they still have culpability at red lights, stop signs etc. It all depends on what department you are involved with.
Go away kid, you bother me!

cowboys-losing-807.jpg

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nitrovic wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
SNIP
Excepting parts of the last few posts, since Nitrovic came back last month he had been making just regular posts and I had agreed with most of what he said. Actually I was pretty much agreeing with him in this thread until he said "Simply a police bashing thread." The response of "Vic, the discussion hasn't been bashing, just discussing," was right on too, IMO, and I wish it had stopped there.

And for the record, to paint the entire forum with a broad brush based on the interpretation of a few member's comments in a single thread is disingenuous and unfair.
I agree, I shouldn't have made it sound like the whole board was like that. However, it is a LARGE stretch to imply that this thread has any connection to anything about Virginia open carry.
As to the blued portion it reiterates something you posted previously, hence my above bolded comment. ;)

Thank you for admitting/recognizing the above bolded portion of your quoted post. I hope you checked out those threads where members were praising LEOs for their responses and behaviors. There was another positive LEO interaction thread I caught today but don't remember which sub-forum.

nitrovic

imported post

peter nap wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
peter nap wrote:
hsmith wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
Thundar,

Go away kid, you bother me!

cowboys-losing-807.jpg
It is amusing you are calling me "kid" when you resorted to childish name calling. Very mature. :uhoh:

nitrovic

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Just to highlight in case any LEOs are directed here by an unjustifiably retaliative -Vic:

THERE ARE AT LEAST THREE RECENT THREADS WHERE LEOs WERE PRAISED, COMPLIMENTED, OR SUPPORTED.

Lets not lose sight of the facts behind -Vic's leaving last time. He posted some exaggeratedaccusations on another forum and made some near-hysterical accusations here. He's essentially a troll. And he can't be relied on not to attack us and bad mouth us to others if we somehow violate his sense of how things should be.There is no way we can call him a friend or trust him to bea friend.

We're better off ignoring him, except to maybe post truth to counter him like Deepdiver did in case someone else is directed to the thread.
I never posted any exaggerations. I was threatened to have my personal information given out, as well as threatened to have my work contacted and my security clearance looked into. All of this simply because I stood up for police officers. This was all from a moderator, I haven't even mentioned what several members threatened me with. All of that is in the past, but it did indeed occur. The truth is the truth. The majority of people here are good people, but when you have a moderator threaten things like this it needs to be addressed. I left this site because I was in a position that held a high security clearance for the government and didn't need to have a bunch of psycopaths calling my bosses and bothering people. I have since gone back to law enforcement. I could care less if you call my current bosses. Tell them I said hi. Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing. Even if one moderator on this site doesn't agree with it.:)

nitrovic

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
Sadly enough, DUI numbers among police officersare approaching epidemic levels nationwide. Many actually involve department issued vehicles while on duty. And arrests among police officers for DUI are just like civilian shoplifting arrests.... for every one that is caught, 99 don't have the misfortune of getting caught.

Furthermore, if she wasn't armed, she was probably violating department policy. My standard operating procedures (SOP) manuals always specified that, even while off duty,I shall have quick access to a weapon at all times.

edit: Comma disappeared, had to add back in. :)
Just to clarify this is simply your opinion correct? You have stated it as a fact. Also, what Department are you with that has in the GO's that you MUST carry your firearm off duty? Do you get paid while off duty if you indeed have to carry? I have never heard of this and I have trained with many jurisdictions in the US. If this is true, you should get your FOP or association to have that GO thrown out, that is horrible.

LEO 229

imported post

Sorry guys.....

Why exactly is this news worthy here?

Are we going to start posting every human that is charged with aDWI? Or will we narrow our list to law enforcement so show everyone that they are human too and make mistakes?

IMHO.... We really need to end this type activity here.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Sorry guys.....

Are we going to start posting every human that is charged with aDWI? Or will we narrow our list to law enforcement so show everyone that they are human too and make mistakes?

Most already agreed with that point already and the thread would have been dead for a week if not for people asking why this thread is here. :banghead:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

:lol:deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Sorry guys.....

Most already agreed with that point already and the thread would have been dead for a week if not for people asking why this thread is here. :banghead:

LEO 229

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Sorry guys.....

I guess you missed the end of mypost...

Here.. I will point it out so you can see there was another reason to comment..

"IMHO.... We really need to end this type activity here."

Good day Sir.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

"IMHO.... We really need to end this type of activity here."
I agree wholeheartedly. This thread had only the most tenuous of connections to open carry or gun rights if that and has since degenerated into "us vs them".

We are not an "us vs them" board. We are a "Love Everyone Who Loves Our Rights" kind of board.

Thread closed.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

tripledipper wrote:
I knew many NYPD cops who hadstopped carrying off-duty years ago, especially when they wereattending social functions, asguns and alcohol are indeeda volatile combination.

Kind of a conclusory statement without any basis - do the guns and alcohol mix like vinegar and baking soda and giove off gas or explode if in a small room?

Now if you had said, the officers wanted to drink and did not feel it was appropriate to be armed while drinking, then that's another story.