Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: SPD to check stand 3

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle (Ballard), Washington, USA
    Posts
    66

    Post imported post

    Over the weekend I was helping a friend move into Seattle, a few blocks south of 23rd Ave E & Madison. Around 9:15pm Saturday night we finished organizing his furniture, dishes, etc. and he needed to make a run to the grocery store. We went to the Safeway on the corner of 23rd & Madison and began a stock-up run.

    We were there for about 45 minutes in total and both of us were OC’ing. About halfway through the shopping list I hear a store employee make a call over the PA, “SPD to check stand 3, SPD to check stand 3”. I think to myself, “here we go”, and started doing mental prep. by going over responses in my head while Icontinue shopping.

    No officer ever approached us while we were shopping. When we were checking out, I realized that there was a SPD officer stationed at the grocery store. He is sitting about 15ft beyond the check stands on a stool, and happens to be directly in front of the checkout line we picked. As I begin to load the conveyor, out of the corner of my eye I see himnotice my holster and my friends. At this point I’m too far away to talk to him, so I just let things go, but am fully expecting a social contact. We end up needing a second cart to carry the bags and I walk over to the door to grab one. As I pass the officer, he is concentratingnoticeably hard on my holster, I’m guessing he was trying to check the chamber loaded indicator on my XD because he had ample time to identify the make/model in my CQC holster. I nodded and greeted him with a “Good evening”, he nods back and I get the cart. As I came back with the cart he did stand up and move 2 lanes over… I’m not sure if he was tired of the stool or was positioning himself.

    We loaded up the rest of the groceries and headed out the door, again I gave a nod as I passed by. The officer had a little bit of a smile/smirk on his face, and I don’t meananything negative. I was pleased when I saw that because I knew he wasn’t going to talk to us at all…

    As we left, some of the employees said to one another “It’s okay, they were cops”. So from this rather uneventful encounter I have a question. Whenever someone asks me of course I say I’m not a LEO, but if someone supposes that you are a LEO without engaging you, what obligation do you have to correct them? Most of the time I’ll let ignorant people remain ignorant, not because I want to appear as a LEO, but rather because sometimes I don’t want to get into a 2A debate with a Safeway clerk on a Saturday night after moving furniture all day.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    800

    Post imported post

    arms_libertas wrote:
    Whenever someone asks me of course I say I’m not a LEO, but if someone supposes that you are a LEO without engaging you, what obligation do you have to correct them? Most of the time I’ll let ignorant people remain ignorant, not because I want to appear as a LEO, but rather because sometimes I don’t want to get into a 2A debate with a Safeway clerk on a Saturday night after moving furniture all day.
    Never heard of a legal obligation to correct someone's assumption -- as long as you aren't palying along with that assumption of course.

    I have heard someone say "he must be a cop" once in the 5+ months I have been OCing, and since it was just a lazy grocery shopping trip I stopped and chatted him up for a bit.

    If you have time/care, talk to them. If you are in an indifferent mood or on a schedule, ignore it.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Machoduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Covington, WA & Keenesburg, CO
    Posts
    566

    Post imported post

    “It’s okay, they were cops”

    Who are "they"? The clerks could have been talking about anyone, perhaps a pair of detectives that were in the store earlier. In addition to not being obligated to correct wrong assumptions, nor are you obligated to sort out ambiguities.

    MD

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    Wow, are things around 23rd Ave E & Madison really such that Safeway needs an armed cop on duty? You'd have done your friend a better favor if you moved him to Ballard instead! :-)


  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    295

    Post imported post

    22nd and Cherry is the heart of the CD.... very bad place. That's not to far from there.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX, ,
    Posts
    496

    Post imported post

    arms_libertas wrote:
    As we left, some of the employees said to one another “It’s okay, they were cops”. So from this rather uneventful encounter I have a question. Whenever someone asks me of course I say I’m not a LEO, but if someone supposes that you are a LEO without engaging you, what obligation do you have to correct them? Most of the time I’ll let ignorant people remain ignorant, not because I want to appear as a LEO, but rather because sometimes I don’t want to get into a 2A debate with a Safeway clerk on a Saturday night after moving furniture all day.
    That's a very good question. I don't think anyone necessarily has the "obligation" to correct the misunderstandings of others. However, I don't think it's a good idea to encourage a false image.

    There was a question I was going to ask about something OCers could say when approached by a sheep. Basically, being ambiguous while at the same time being reassuring, something along the lines of "It's OK, I'm supposed to have it" sounded like a really good idea when I thought of it. However, there are two problems with this. First, if you say this the natural question out of the other guy's mouth is "why"? The more they ask, the harder it is to be ambiguous aboutthe reasons behindyourcarrying. Second, saying something like that, though technically true, is specifically designed to infer that you are something you're not; that you hold some commonly-thought-of government position that mandates keeping a handgun handy. By doing so you hope to dissuade any further inquiry, but it encourages a false image, and though the consequences of doing so are not always immediately apparent, they are usually present and negative.

    So, in my usual roundabout way, I'm just saying what I said in the first paragraph; when asked directly, it doesn't make sense to lie or to hide the truth. People aren't educated, you personally could face consequences of such things, and the results are generally bad. However, I would not normally go out of my way to correct anyone making a falseobservation like thatif it doesn't foreseeably affect the next 10 minutes of my life. If I hear someone not-so-quietly whisper "oh my God, he's got a gun" I will make some effort to assuage whoever uttered it, or else prepare myself for an encounter with an employee, manager or security detail, but if I'm on my way out of the store and someone mutters "he's probably a cop" I wouldn't bother to disillusion them.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    At the Kitsap OC picnic, there was a table next to ours (about 10 feet away)and the people using the table were fishing, swimming etc. When they finally came back to the table, I went over and told them "We are not trying to take away your table, were just having a picnic, just a bunch of us that exercise our right to carry a firearm"

    The young lady said " Oh, I thought you were a bunch of cops" and did not seem to even care about us being armed. The Husband asked a few questions and was quite pleased when I gave him a pamphlet.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    Unless asked directly I would not address anyone's assumptions on the matter.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  9. #9
    Regular Member John Hardin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Snohomish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    684

    Post imported post

    You could wear a "NOT A COP" t-shirt...

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW WA
    Posts
    127

    Post imported post

    Or a black jacket with OCDO in large white block letters on the back.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle (Ballard), Washington, USA
    Posts
    66

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the input everybody. Everyone seemed to answer about the way I expected them to and in-line with what I was thinking. I was asked earlier the same day if I was a LEO, so since it happenned twice in one day I figured I'd better make absolutely sure I was in the green.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Poulsbo, Washington, USA
    Posts
    546

    Post imported post

    bcp wrote:
    Or a black jacket with OCDO in large white block letters on the back.
    Then people would just think we're a special division.

  13. #13
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    antispam540 wrote:
    bcp wrote:
    Or a black jacket with OCDO in large white block letters on the back.
    Then people would just think we're a special division.
    Well, they'd think you were special alright: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Organization

    People commonly refer to that disorder as "OCD" so I've always wondered how many people overhear one of us talking about OCDO and assume we mean the disorder.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SW WA
    Posts
    127

    Post imported post

    Maybe just put WTF on the jacket instead. Several meanings.



  15. #15
    Regular Member Ajetpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Olalla, Kitsap County, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,410

    Post imported post

    bcp wrote:
    Maybe just put WTF on the jacket instead. Several meanings.

    World Taekwondo Federation ?

  16. #16
    Regular Member DEROS72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SEATAC, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,819

    Post imported post

    When they ask if you are a cop just say



    Nope and I don't play one on TV either





    "Here's your sign"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •