• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SPD to check stand 3

arms_libertas

imported post

Over the weekend I was helping a friend move into Seattle, a few blocks south of 23[suP]rd[/suP] Ave E & Madison. Around 9:15pm Saturday night we finished organizing his furniture, dishes, etc. and he needed to make a run to the grocery store. We went to the Safeway on the corner of 23[suP]rd[/suP] & Madison and began a stock-up run.

We were there for about 45 minutes in total and both of us were OC’ing. About halfway through the shopping list I hear a store employee make a call over the PA, “SPD to check stand 3, SPD to check stand 3”. I think to myself, “here we go”, and started doing mental prep. by going over responses in my head while Icontinue shopping.

No officer ever approached us while we were shopping. When we were checking out, I realized that there was a SPD officer stationed at the grocery store. He is sitting about 15ft beyond the check stands on a stool, and happens to be directly in front of the checkout line we picked. As I begin to load the conveyor, out of the corner of my eye I see himnotice my holster and my friends. At this point I’m too far away to talk to him, so I just let things go, but am fully expecting a social contact. We end up needing a second cart to carry the bags and I walk over to the door to grab one. As I pass the officer, he is concentratingnoticeably hard on my holster, I’m guessing he was trying to check the chamber loaded indicator on my XD because he had ample time to identify the make/model in my CQC holster. I nodded and greeted him with a “Good evening”, he nods back and I get the cart. As I came back with the cart he did stand up and move 2 lanes over… I’m not sure if he was tired of the stool or was positioning himself.

We loaded up the rest of the groceries and headed out the door, again I gave a nod as I passed by. The officer had a little bit of a smile/smirk on his face, and I don’t meananything negative. I was pleased when I saw that because I knew he wasn’t going to talk to us at all…

As we left, some of the employees said to one another “It’s okay, they were cops”. So from this rather uneventful encounter I have a question. Whenever someone asks me of course I say I’m not a LEO, but if someone supposes that you are a LEO without engaging you, what obligation do you have to correct them? Most of the time I’ll let ignorant people remain ignorant, not because I want to appear as a LEO, but rather because sometimes I don’t want to get into a 2A debate with a Safeway clerk on a Saturday night after moving furniture all day.

ScottyT

imported post

arms_libertas wrote:
Whenever someone asks me of course I say I’m not a LEO, but if someone supposes that you are a LEO without engaging you, what obligation do you have to correct them? Most of the time I’ll let ignorant people remain ignorant, not because I want to appear as a LEO, but rather because sometimes I don’t want to get into a 2A debate with a Safeway clerk on a Saturday night after moving furniture all day.

Never heard of a legal obligation to correct someone's assumption -- as long as you aren't palying along with that assumption of course.

I have heard someone say "he must be a cop" once in the 5+ months I have been OCing, and since it was just a lazy grocery shopping trip I stopped and chatted him up for a bit.

If you have time/care, talk to them. If you are in an indifferent mood or on a schedule, ignore it.

Machoduck

imported post

“It’s okay, they were cops”

Who are "they"? The clerks could have been talking about anyone, perhaps a pair of detectives that were in the store earlier. In addition to not being obligated to correct wrong assumptions, nor are you obligated to sort out ambiguities.

MD

kparker

imported post

Wow, are things around 23[sup]rd[/sup] Ave E & Madison really such that Safeway needs an armed cop on duty? You'd have done your friend a better favor if you moved him to Ballard instead! :)

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

arms_libertas wrote:
As we left, some of the employees said to one another “It’s okay, they were cops”. So from this rather uneventful encounter I have a question. Whenever someone asks me of course I say I’m not a LEO, but if someone supposes that you are a LEO without engaging you, what obligation do you have to correct them? Most of the time I’ll let ignorant people remain ignorant, not because I want to appear as a LEO, but rather because sometimes I don’t want to get into a 2A debate with a Safeway clerk on a Saturday night after moving furniture all day.

That's a very good question. I don't think anyone necessarily has the "obligation" to correct the misunderstandings of others. However, I don't think it's a good idea to encourage a false image.

There was a question I was going to ask about something OCers could say when approached by a sheep. Basically, being ambiguous while at the same time being reassuring, something along the lines of "It's OK, I'm supposed to have it" sounded like a really good idea when I thought of it. However, there are two problems with this. First, if you say this the natural question out of the other guy's mouth is "why"? The more they ask, the harder it is to be ambiguous aboutthe reasons behindyourcarrying. Second, saying something like that, though technically true, is specifically designed to infer that you are something you're not; that you hold some commonly-thought-of government position that mandates keeping a handgun handy. By doing so you hope to dissuade any further inquiry, but it encourages a false image, and though the consequences of doing so are not always immediately apparent, they are usually present and negative.

So, in my usual roundabout way, I'm just saying what I said in the first paragraph; when asked directly, it doesn't make sense to lie or to hide the truth. People aren't educated, you personally could face consequences of such things, and the results are generally bad. However, I would not normally go out of my way to correct anyone making a falseobservation like thatif it doesn't foreseeably affect the next 10 minutes of my life. If I hear someone not-so-quietly whisper "oh my God, he's got a gun" I will make some effort to assuage whoever uttered it, or else prepare myself for an encounter with an employee, manager or security detail, but if I'm on my way out of the store and someone mutters "he's probably a cop" I wouldn't bother to disillusion them.

Trigger Dr

imported post

At the Kitsap OC picnic, there was a table next to ours (about 10 feet away)and the people using the table were fishing, swimming etc. When they finally came back to the table, I went over and told them "We are not trying to take away your table, were just having a picnic, just a bunch of us that exercise our right to carry a firearm"

The young lady said " Oh, I thought you were a bunch of cops" and did not seem to even care about us being armed. The Husband asked a few questions and was quite pleased when I gave him a pamphlet.

bcp

imported post

Or a black jacket with OCDO in large white block letters on the back.

arms_libertas

imported post

Thanks for the input everybody. Everyone seemed to answer about the way I expected them to and in-line with what I was thinking. I was asked earlier the same day if I was a LEO, so since it happenned twice in one day I figured I'd better make absolutely sure I was in the green.

just_a_car

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
bcp wrote:
Or a black jacket with OCDO in large white block letters on the back.
Then people would just think we're a special division.
Well, they'd think you were special alright: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Organization

People commonly refer to that disorder as "OCD" so I've always wondered how many people overhear one of us talking about OCDO and assume we mean the disorder.

bcp

imported post

Maybe just put WTF on the jacket instead. Several meanings.

DEROS72

imported post

When they ask if you are a cop just say

Nope and I don't play one on TV either

"Here's your sign"