• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trouble at the Fair

Sonora Rebel

imported post

As a former cop... One cannot disturb the 'peace' of a LEO. If there is no complainant... there is no crime. 'Boy?"... heh... Whutta hump. 'Anybody dunno how a 1911 operates is a moron. The only possible question would be OC in a 'public gathering'... but that varies from place to place. KSP yet? I can understand the rent-a-cop... but KSP should be well versed on OC in KY by now. Maybe they're just stuck on stupid. 'Hope you made that phone call. I'd be makin' one to a lawyer if I were you as well.

zer0cool

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
One cannot disturb the 'peace' of a LEO.
100% Correct! If the sight of a gun "disturbs the peace" of a LEO then they're in the wrong business.

Sonora Rebel wrote:
The only possible question would be OC in a 'public gathering'
Public gathering is ok in KY as long as its not a "gathering" or "meeting" of a governing body. He was well within his rightsbut he wasntin the "comfort zone" of a badged ego. I work with and around LEOs all the time and i doubt any would hassle you if you were OCing. Unless you were OCing with it sticking out of the top of the front of your pants with no holster and your looney toon boxers hanging out.OR if your idea OCing is waving with it like the Queen of England does with her glove.

Statesman

imported post

zer0cool wrote:
Unless you were OCing with it sticking out of the top of the front of your pants with no holster and your looney toon boxers hanging out.
If you are still wearing Looney Tunes boxers, you deserve to be stopped and questioned. :lol:

OR if your idea OCing is waving with it like the Queen of England does with her glove.
That would be a brandishing charge, correct?

zer0cool

imported post

If I remember correctly, we don't have any thing regarding "brandishing" unless it's in reference to a weapon on school property in a vehicle. You canhave it in a vehicle on school property but KRS states you cant "brandish" it.i.e. Dropping the kids off at school. But I believe (from what I remember) if you started pointing or waving the weapon around and nothing is transpiring for you to apply justifiable deadly force, that is wanton endangerment.

NOTE: The KRS statute that I'm referencing is under CCDW.

Statesman

imported post

Can anyone confirm this? I've read quite a few statutes on CC, and the use of deadly force, but nothing about brandishing yet. Maybe I should check my CCDW manual.

zer0cool

imported post

Here it is:

527.070 Unlawful possession of a weapon on school property -- Posting of sign -- Exemptions.
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]
(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a weapon on school property when he knowingly deposits, possesses, or carries, whether openly or concealed, for purposes other than instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, or the purposes permitted in subsection (3) of this section, any firearm or other deadly weapon, destructive device, or booby trap device in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field, or any other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education, school, board of trustees, regents, or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. The provisions of this section shall not apply to institutions of postsecondary or higher education.

(2) Each chief administrator of a public or private school shall display about the school in prominent locations, including, but not limited to, sports arenas, gymnasiums, stadiums, and cafeterias, a sign at least six (6) inches high and fourteen (14) inches wide stating:

UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON SCHOOL

PROPERTY IN KENTUCKY IS A FELONY PUNISHABLE

BY A MAXIMUM OF FIVE (5) YEARS IN PRISON AND A

TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR ($10,000) FINE.

Failure to post the sign shall not relieve any person of liability under this section.

(3) The provisions of this section prohibiting the unlawful possession of a weapon on school property shall not apply to:

(a) An adult who possesses a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a vehicle operated by the adult and is not removed from the vehicle, except for a purpose permitted herein, or brandished by the adult, or by any other person acting with expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property;
[/font]

[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]This post should not be construed to be legal advice, and is given for informational purposes only. Please check with an attorney before using any information given.

[/font]

zer0cool

imported post

Well there are several things that you could be convicted of if you decided to do that. Wanton Endangerment, Disorderly Conduct, Terroristic Threatening, and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Therefore Pulling a weapon out of its holster in public isnt the greatest of ideas. OR one of your fellow OCers or CCers might see you as a threat and apply deadly force. :what:THAT WOULD BE A CLUSTER!

This is all IMO and my 2 cents.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Pulling in public is NOT something you'd want to do. Don't do it! That's a whole Pandora's box of trubble just waitin' to happen.

'N yes... one of US might shoot you!:(

Statesman

imported post

The officer then attempted to unload my pistol (bare bones 1911) after about 2 minutes of attempting to pull the slide back, he dropped the mag and kept pulling on the slide. I told him that he had to flip the slide safety and he looked at me like i speak chinese. i pointed at it and said "push that switch down" he still couldnt figure it out. After about 5 minutes he figured it out, and i got a lecture about carrying in public, and that "cocked and locked" is extremely unsafe practice.

It's apparent to me that the gun would have been much safer holstered, as it originally was before the harassment began, rather than someone unfamiliar trying to unload it in a public gathering. Five minutes? That has got to be exaggerated a bit.

Curious, what was the scope of the lecture? More importantly, where did he get this information?

Statesman

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Pulling in public is NOT something you'd want to do. Don't do it! That's a whole Pandora's box of trubble just waitin' to happen.  

'N yes... one of US might shoot you!:(

Yeah, I would never do it. I know better. People freak out enough as it is just seeing a holstered gun.