Thread: Using VBPD Badge on a lower

Post imported post

I'm looking to get the VBPD Badge engraved onto an AR-15 Lower for a friend's Birthday. He and I and no way related to VBPD and was wondering if there are any legal actions to prevent from putting it on there.

Already found a place to do the engraving and it's only $4.

Thanks for your help.

-Carlo

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

IANAL but I think that is fine. Unless you use it somehow to impersonate a police officer you are just like everyone else that wears a T_shirt from the 80's when sting was in THE POLICE and all the people that wear NYPD and NYFD shirts that are not police or firefighters.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    IANAL but I think that is fine. Unless you use it somehow to impersonate a police officer you are just like everyone else that wears a T_shirt from the 80's when sting was in THE POLICE and all the people that wear NYPD and NYFD shirts that are not police or firefighters.
    That's what I was thinking. There are so many FBI, CSI, and CIA shirts like in D.C. so yeah, just wanted to make sure is all

Thanks.

Post imported post

I have some of those style shirts.. I even have some from friends that were chief's. I never wear those shirts AND Carry.. I don't want to put pieces of a puzzle together that makes me an easy arrest target. Heck, I even hate the CCW badges that some gun stores sell.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I found this code while searching the code of VA...

§ 52-9.1:1. Retention of officer's badge upon retirement

It, basically, says that a retired state police officer may only have his service badge after the State PD Supervisor has had it mounted. Thus preventing him from wearing it on his/her person.

While there are significant differences between that scenario and the scenario that you present, thus making it almost not-applicable, I dare say that an attempt to obtain a VBPD badge by a non-VBPD LEO will be met with like resistance.

Although, I have so far, been unable to locate any code specifically stating that citizens may not possess and or mount a badge in a fashion as you indicate.

I am about ready to leave the office for the day, and am unable to continue my search, but you may do so at: http://leg1.state.va.us/

Post imported post

When Virginia Beach Police Officer Rod Pocceschi was murdered on Dam Neck Road back in 2003, a couple of motorcycle groups held a fundraiser for his wife and children.

The VB Police Dept had dark blue tee shirts printed up with a regular VBPD shield on the left front pocket area and a huge VBPD shield on the back with the words "In Loving Memory; Of Our Fallen Brother; Officer Rod Pocceschi; 1969 to 2003. The shirts were to help raise even more money and we all bought them.

To this day, everytime I wear that shirt, someone asks me if I'm a retired VBPD officer - I've never worn it while open carrying because, to me, that would be too close to impersonating an officer. It also seems to me that a VBPD badge engraved onto an AR-15 could be asking for some unwanted LEO attention....IMHO....if an LEO ever saw it.

Post imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
    I found this code while searching the code of VA...

§ 52-9.1:1. Retention of officer's badge upon retirement

It, basically, says that a retired state police officer may only have his service badge after the State PD Supervisor has had it mounted. Thus preventing him from wearing it on his/her person.

While there are significant differences between that scenario and the scenario that you present, thus making it almost not-applicable, I dare say that an attempt to obtain a VBPD badge by a non-VBPD LEO will be met with like resistance.

Although, I have so far, been unable to locate any code specifically stating that citizens may not possess and or mount a badge in a fashion as you indicate.

I am about ready to leave the office for the day, and am unable to continue my search, but you may do so at: http://leg1.state.va.us/
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't plan on putting a badge number or anything, Probably leave it blank. I basically just want a picture of the VBPD badge on an AR Lower.

Post imported post

A couple of years ago, I bought a used Glock 19 from Summit Gun Broker. It's got the VA Beach Sheriff's Dept. insignia on the slide. You should have no problem at all... unless you try to use your AR as ID...
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

Deanimator wrote:
    A couple of years ago, I bought a used Glock 19 from Summit Gun Broker. It's got the VA Beach Sheriff's Dept. insignia on the slide. You should have no problem at all... unless you try to use your AR as ID...
    Thanks for the info.

Post imported post

C45P312 wrote:
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't plan on putting a badge number or anything, Probably leave it blank. I basically just want a picture of the VBPD badge on an AR Lower.
    Ahh. Ok. I understand what you're doing. I think you'd probably be ok with that. However, I don't know for sure.

Post imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
    I I dare say that an attempt to obtain a VBPD badge by a non-VBPD LEO will be met with like resistance.
    Go to just about any gun show and look at the "collectables" tables. There have not been as many as there used to be, but you can still buy them.

Responding to the OP's question - you shouls have no problem as long as the person doing the engraving has a good copy to work from. It might be worth the extra $4 to have the engrave a piece of scrap metal first so you can see what it will look like before you commit your lower.

stay safe.

skidmark

"He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

skidmark wrote:
    vrwmiller wrote:
    I I dare say that an attempt to obtain a VBPD badge by a non-VBPD LEO will be met with like resistance.
    Go to just about any gun show and look at the "collectables" tables. There have not been as many as there used to be, but you can still buy them.

Responding to the OP's question - you shouls have no problem as long as the person doing the engraving has a good copy to work from. It might be worth the extra $4 to have the engrave a piece of scrap metal first so you can see what it will look like before you commit your lower.

stay safe.

skidmark
    Thanks for the advice. I was a bit weary as well for the price so, but then the person asured me it was a of good detail. VBPD does all thier engravings through them already because they have it on file. If I still wasn't satisfied, they invited me to swing by thier shop to see the VBPD Engraving on some plates they are doing at the moment for them lol

Post imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
    C45P312 wrote:
    Ahh. Ok. I understand what you're doing.
    I don't. Why do you want it? Whud I miss?
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Post imported post

according to his thread on arfcom its a gift for someone whom i presume is a vbpd cop

Post imported post

I would not think twice about engraving whatever you wish on your rifle. There are countless ARs out there engraved:

U.S. RIFLE
    PROPERTY
    OF U.S. GOVT
    M16A1

All perfectly legal. Engraving a badge on a rifle is so far apart from impersonating a police officer I wouldn't worry about a thing. Heck, to make it even better I would have "PROPERTY OF VBPD" engraved on it also!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Generally, impersonating a police officer requires some overt act, like making a traffic stop.....its a case by case thing, but most prosecutions that I have seen have that as a basis.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

If you are not associated with VBPD, then I have to ask: Why?

Post imported post

Make sure the badge isn't copy righted. The engraving shop should ask that same question of you, unless he knows it isn't.

Didn't the OP say it was for a gift to a non-VABchPD friend?

Post imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
    If you are not associated with VBPD, then I have to ask: Why?
    Just a gift. I wanted to make something memorable from Virginia Beach and I think putting a VBPD Badge on there is better than putting

Carlo Galinato
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Happy 35th Birthday

^ sounds so cheesy lol