• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Using VBPD Badge on a lower

C45P312

imported post

I'm looking to get the VBPD Badge engraved onto an AR-15 Lower for a friend's Birthday. He and I and no way related to VBPD and was wondering if there are any legal actions to prevent from putting it on there.

Already found a place to do the engraving and it's only $4.

Thanks for your help.

-Carlo

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

IANAL but I think that is fine. Unless you use it somehow to impersonate a police officer you are just like everyone else that wears a T_shirt from the 80's when sting was in THE POLICE and all the people that wear NYPD and NYFD shirts that are not police or firefighters.

C45P312

imported post

ed wrote:
IANAL but I think that is fine. Unless you use it somehow to impersonate a police officer you are just like everyone else that wears a T_shirt from the 80's when sting was in THE POLICE and all the people that wear NYPD and NYFD shirts that are not police or firefighters.
That's what I was thinking. There are so many FBI, CSI, and CIA shirts like in D.C. so yeah, just wanted to make sure is all

Thanks.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have some of those style shirts.. I even have some from friends that were chief's. I never wear those shirts AND Carry.. I don't want to put pieces of a puzzle together that makes me an easy arrest target. Heck, I even hate the CCW badges that some gun stores sell.

vrwmiller

imported post

I found this code while searching the code of VA...

§ 52-9.1:1. Retention of officer's badge upon retirement

It, basically, says that a retired state police officer may only have his service badge after the State PD Supervisor has had it mounted. Thus preventing him from wearing it on his/her person.

While there are significant differences between that scenario and the scenario that you present, thus making it almost not-applicable, I dare say that an attempt to obtain a VBPD badge by a non-VBPD LEO will be met with like resistance.

Although, I have so far, been unable to locate any code specifically stating that citizens may not possess and or mount a badge in a fashion as you indicate.

I am about ready to leave the office for the day, and am unable to continue my search, but you may do so at: http://leg1.state.va.us/

Bubba Ron

imported post

When Virginia Beach Police Officer Rod Pocceschi was murdered on Dam Neck Road back in 2003, a couple of motorcycle groups held a fundraiser for his wife and children.

The VB Police Dept had dark blue tee shirts printed up with a regular VBPD shield on the left front pocket area and a huge VBPD shield on the back with the words "In Loving Memory; Of Our Fallen Brother; Officer Rod Pocceschi; 1969 to 2003. The shirts were to help raise even more money and we all bought them.

To this day, everytime I wear that shirt, someone asks me if I'm a retired VBPD officer - I've never worn it while open carrying because, to me, that would be too close to impersonating an officer. It also seems to me that a VBPD badge engraved onto an AR-15 could be asking for some unwanted LEO attention....IMHO....if an LEO ever saw it.

C45P312

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
I found this code while searching the code of VA...

§ 52-9.1:1. Retention of officer's badge upon retirement

It, basically, says that a retired state police officer may only have his service badge after the State PD Supervisor has had it mounted. Thus preventing him from wearing it on his/her person.

While there are significant differences between that scenario and the scenario that you present, thus making it almost not-applicable, I dare say that an attempt to obtain a VBPD badge by a non-VBPD LEO will be met with like resistance.

Although, I have so far, been unable to locate any code specifically stating that citizens may not possess and or mount a badge in a fashion as you indicate.

I am about ready to leave the office for the day, and am unable to continue my search, but you may do so at: http://leg1.state.va.us/
Thanks for the heads up. I don't plan on putting a badge number or anything, Probably leave it blank. I basically just want a picture of the VBPD badge on an AR Lower.

PRIDE_video.jpg

Deanimator

imported post

A couple of years ago, I bought a used Glock 19 from Summit Gun Broker. It's got the VA Beach Sheriff's Dept. insignia on the slide. You should have no problem at all... unless you try to use your AR as ID...

C45P312

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
A couple of years ago, I bought a used Glock 19 from Summit Gun Broker. It's got the VA Beach Sheriff's Dept. insignia on the slide. You should have no problem at all... unless you try to use your AR as ID...
Thanks for the info.

vrwmiller

imported post

C45P312 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I don't plan on putting a badge number or anything, Probably leave it blank. I basically just want a picture of the VBPD badge on an AR Lower.
Ahh. Ok. I understand what you're doing. I think you'd probably be ok with that. However, I don't know for sure.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
I I dare say that an attempt to obtain a VBPD badge by a non-VBPD LEO will be met with like resistance.
Go to just about any gun show and look at the "collectables" tables. There have not been as many as there used to be, but you can still buy them.

Responding to the OP's question - you shouls have no problem as long as the person doing the engraving has a good copy to work from. It might be worth the extra $4 to have the engrave a piece of scrap metal first so you can see what it will look like before you commit your lower.

stay safe.

skidmark

C45P312

imported post

skidmark wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
I I dare say that an attempt to obtain a VBPD badge by a non-VBPD LEO will be met with like resistance.
Go to just about any gun show and look at the "collectables" tables. There have not been as many as there used to be, but you can still buy them.

Responding to the OP's question - you shouls have no problem as long as the person doing the engraving has a good copy to work from. It might be worth the extra $4 to have the engrave a piece of scrap metal first so you can see what it will look like before you commit your lower.

stay safe.

skidmark
Thanks for the advice. I was a bit weary as well for the price so, but then the person asured me it was a of good detail. VBPD does all thier engravings through them already because they have it on file. If I still wasn't satisfied, they invited me to swing by thier shop to see the VBPD Engraving on some plates they are doing at the moment for them lol

Renegade

imported post

I would not think twice about engraving whatever you wish on your rifle. There are countless ARs out there engraved:

[align=center]U.S. RIFLE
PROPERTY
OF U.S. GOVT
M16A1
[align=left]
All perfectly legal. Engraving a badge on a rifle is so far apart from impersonating a police officer I wouldn't worry about a thing. Heck, to make it even better I would have "PROPERTY OF VBPD" engraved on it also!
[/align][/align]

Table

imported post

Make sure the badge isn't copy righted. The engraving shop should ask that same question of you, unless he knows it isn't.

Didn't the OP say it was for a gift to a non-VABchPD friend?

C45P312

imported post

SIGguy229 wrote:
If you are not associated with VBPD, then I have to ask: Why?
Just a gift. I wanted to make something memorable from Virginia Beach and I think putting a VBPD Badge on there is better than putting

Carlo Galinato
Virginia Beach, VA
Happy 35th Birthday

^ sounds so cheesy lol