• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It finally made the news. CC at CU Boulder Campus...

Evil Ernie

imported post

"....Jim Manley, a member of the group. He said those with concealed weapons permits are trained and have earned the right to arm themselves."

Get it right Jim, you've earned the "privilege". You've had the right since the day you were born.
Other than that, they're fighting the good fight.

thorvaldr

imported post

Yes, I'm glad to see them standing up for their rights (priviledges), I'm glad to see it being covered, and I'm pretty sure they won't get it.

Yet another reason to go to CSU. CSUPD has always honored concealed permits.

entartet17

imported post

I went to Metro and the entire Auraria campus (CU Denver, Metro, and CCD) is very anti-gun. They'll not only arrest you if you carry on campus but whichever school you go to will academically suspend or expel you (as if getting arrested isn't enough of a punishment).

Prophet

imported post

entartet17 wrote:
I went to Metro and the entire Auraria campus (CU Denver, Metro, and CCD) is very anti-gun. They'll not only arrest you if you carry on campus but whichever school you go to will academically suspend or expel you (as if getting arrested isn't enough of a punishment).

While I wasn't allowed to carry openly in Denver when i was in town for the Ultimate College National Tournament this past may i did openly carry in Boulder. No one seemed to have a problem with it and when i went to the University store to pick up a stuffed buffalo as a sovenier i had the manager lean across the counter and inquire what i was carrying. (1911 .45 in case you're curious) To which he responded about his Baretta 9mm if i recall correctly.

From my limited experience in boulder i wouldn't be surprised if this measure passed...but considering my experience in colleges with a liberal slant i won't be surprised if it doesnt.

thorvaldr

imported post

Now everyone wants to be like CSU. Can't blame them.

http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/27208409.html

UCCS Students Push For Guns On Campus

Posted: 8:46 PM Aug 20, 2008
Last Updated: 7:16 AM Aug 21, 2008
Reporter: McKenzie Martin
Email Address: mmartin@kktv.com

Some college students are pushing to allow firearms on campus. They say it would stop a tragedy, like the Virginia Tech Massacre from happening again.

Some UCCS students believe handgun permit holders should be allowed to carry their weapons on campus. Wednesday the group made a presentation to the Board of Regents asking that the current no firearms on campus policy be changed.

UCCS students John Davis and Bobby German have spent the past several months gathering signatures.

"We would like them to allow those members of the campus community who have concealed hand gun permits to carry them on campus," Davis said.

The two seniors both have concealed weapons permits themselves, meaning they can legally carry handguns almost everywhere they go, except on campus.

"It's a personal safety issue," Davis said.

They started the UCCS Chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus last fall, after the Virginia Tech massacre.

"I thought it was sad that those students weren't able to defend themselves," Davis said.

He compares the deadly day at Virginia Tech with the shooting that happened right here in Colorado Springs at New Life Church.

"A volunteer with a concealed gun permit was able to stop a madman who had several hundred rounds of ammunition," Davis said.

With nearly 400 signatures from students at both UCCS and CU in Boulder, the two friends presented their case to the Board of Regents.

"I'm sort of surprised it hasn't come up sooner,” said Chairman of the Board, Steve Bosley.

He says he thinks it's a good subject to discuss, but the board will need a lot information before they are able to move forward.

"There were some recommendations made by some of the board members as to some details that they may bring back to enhance the request," Bosley said.

Davis and German say they plan to fulfill those recommendations and keep fighting for what will make them feel safe.

In order to get a concealed weapons permit you have to be 21 years of age. CSU in Fort Collins is the only campus in Colorado that currently allows permit-holders to carry their guns.

olypendrew

imported post

Notwithstanding then-Attorney General Salazar's opinion that the Board of Regents still retained authority over this matter following statwide preemption, it's still very much an open question. Plenty of attorneys would disagree with Salazar's conclusion. I, for one, conceal carried everyday of the three years that I was at CU for law school. I took the position that the Regent's ban was unenforceable in any event, and that it would only become an issue if I actually had to defend myself or others from a violent attack, in which case it would be worth the possible expulsion.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
Now everyone wants to be like CSU. Can't blame them.

http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/27208409.html

UCCS Students Push For Guns On Campus

Posted: 8:46 PM Aug 20, 2008
Last Updated: 7:16 AM Aug 21, 2008
Reporter: McKenzie Martin
Email Address: mmartin@kktv.com

Some college students are pushing to allow firearms on campus. They say it would stop a tragedy, like the Virginia Tech Massacre from happening again.

Some UCCS students believe handgun permit holders should be allowed to carry their weapons on campus. Wednesday the group made a presentation to the Board of Regents asking that the current no firearms on campus policy be changed.

UCCS students John Davis and Bobby German have spent the past several months gathering signatures.

"We would like them to allow those members of the campus community who have concealed hand gun permits to carry them on campus," Davis said.

The two seniors both have concealed weapons permits themselves, meaning they can legally carry handguns almost everywhere they go, except on campus.

"It's a personal safety issue," Davis said.

They started the UCCS Chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus last fall, after the Virginia Tech massacre.

"I thought it was sad that those students weren't able to defend themselves," Davis said.

He compares the deadly day at Virginia Tech with the shooting that happened right here in Colorado Springs at New Life Church.

"A volunteer with a concealed gun permit was able to stop a madman who had several hundred rounds of ammunition," Davis said.

With nearly 400 signatures from students at both UCCS and CU in Boulder, the two friends presented their case to the Board of Regents.

"I'm sort of surprised it hasn't come up sooner,” said Chairman of the Board, Steve Bosley.

He says he thinks it's a good subject to discuss, but the board will need a lot information before they are able to move forward.

"There were some recommendations made by some of the board members as to some details that they may bring back to enhance the request," Bosley said.

Davis and German say they plan to fulfill those recommendations and keep fighting for what will make them feel safe.

In order to get a concealed weapons permit you have to be 21 years of age. CSU in Fort Collins is the only campus in Colorado that currently allows permit-holders to carry their guns.
So is UCCS off limits for concealed carry for students only or for everyone? I don't remember seeing any signs on campus.

entartet17

imported post

It is not against the law to conceal carry at UCCS. That being said, all of the CU schools (UCD, UCHSC, UCCS, CU, etc) have policies that prohibit carrying on campus. No signs are posted that I know of, but it's in the student manual. I know at CU Denver, the Auraria Police will make you leave campus and tell you not to come back carrying. Of course, if you're CCing then they wont know you have a gun anyway.

Since it's not illegal, they use the threat of academic sanctions to keep students from carrying. I dont know what they would do if you're not a student other than make you leave campus.