• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawyers on retainer in WA?

xiphoris

imported post

Would OC veterans recommend getting a lawyer on retainer? Can anyone recommend a good, professional law firm that knows gun laws and would be available to represent me should I get arrested on a weapon violation?

I am NOT expecting to break any kind of law -- and very deliberately will avoid doing so -- but reading about many false arrests on these forums makes me want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row in case something does happen. I wouldn't want to be searching through the phone book trying to find a guy with a clue about WA gun laws.

I'd be looking for some lawyers on board with the OC thing and hopefully support the issue, or are at least willing to vigorously represent.

As someone who has never been in any trouble, never arrested, etc., I expect I would be quite shaken up if it does happen. I'd like to have a kickass lawyer have my back if things happen. I have a good job and a life that I don't want to risk unnecessarily, but I've decided certain risks are worth it to exercise and protect my rights. The only risk would be of a bogus charge, and a lawyer is the best defense against that.

Bear 45/70

imported post

xiphoris wrote:
Would OC veterans recommend getting a lawyer on retainer? Can anyone recommend a good, professional law firm that knows gun laws and would be available to represent me should I get arrested on a weapon violation?

I am NOT expecting to break any kind of law -- and very deliberately will avoid doing so -- but reading about many false arrests on these forums makes me want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row in case something does happen. I wouldn't want to be searching through the phone book trying to find a guy with a clue about WA gun laws.

I'd be looking for some lawyers on board with the OC thing and hopefully support the issue, or are at least willing to vigorously represent.

As someone who has never been in any trouble, never arrested, etc., I expect I would be quite shaken up if it does happen. I'd like to have a kickass lawyer have my back if things happen. I have a good job and a life that I don't want to risk unnecessarily, but I've decided certain risks are worth it to exercise and protect my rights. The only risk would be of a bogus charge, and a lawyer is the best defense against that.

You can if you want. But there is a lawyer available that is conversant in gun law and is a gun guy himself. He is at this time representing several of our members and has represented some in the past with good results in each case.

Loun & Tyner

509-4th Street
Suite 6
Bremerton, WA 98337-1401
(360) 377-7678

rloun@hotmail.com

jbone

imported post

Is it recommended to have a lawyer on retainer if I follow the laws of the land when I OC? My concern is genuine, I love to OC every chance I get but can not afford lawyer and court fees, I’m I still safe to OC? Are my chances of hitting the Lotto greater than running into a rouge LOE, or bogus city ordinance?

xiphoris

imported post

I already admit I don't know a lot about this, but my gut feeling, from reading this and many news stories online, is that you will be fine without a lawyer if what you want to do is get off and you are following the laws. The DA will drop charges or the judge will throw the case out -- if it even gets that far. More likely released without charges.

I am looking for a lawyer so that, in case the time comes, I am ready to fight back with a lawsuit of my own. My thinking is along the lines presented in this other thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/15121.html . I'm not sure I'd want to represent myself, though.

Being arrested would be a very stressful experience for me, and I hope it never happens, but just as I take similar measures to ensure the legal protection of my business in advance, I feel that I should in my personal life.

Bear 45/70

imported post

jbone wrote:
Is it recommended to have a lawyer on retainer if I follow the laws of the land when I OC? My concern is genuine, I love to OC every chance I get but can not afford lawyer and court fees, I’m I still safe to OC? Are my chances of hitting the Lotto greater than running into a rouge LOE, or bogus city ordinance?
To tell the truth, depending on your age and appearance, it can be a crap shoot. Do I have a lawyer on retainer? NO, but I do have his home and cell phone numbers. Have I ever need them, NO. The one thing you can do is contact your lawyer of choice and ask him how he thinks you shouldhandle it.

jbone

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
To tell the truth, depending on your age and appearance, it can be a crap shoot. Do I have a lawyer on retainer? NO, but I do have his home and cell phone numbers. Have I ever need them, NO. The one thing you can do is contact your lawyer of choice and ask him how he thinks you shouldhandle it.
Understood.

Let me ask this, if I'm taken in on a BS charge for carrying, found not guilty, charges cleared or dropped, does my record still show this action and will I have trouble buying firearms or renewing my CPL later down the road?, or even be able to posses or carry until my record is expunged?

Bear 45/70

imported post

jbone wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Understood.

Let me ask this, if I'm taken in on a BS charge for carrying, found not guilty, charges cleared or dropped, does my record still show this action and will I have trouble buying firearms or renewing my CPL later down the road?, or even be able to posses or carry until my record is expunged?

First off only a conviction can affect whether you get to possess or carry. Arrest and prosecution mean squat. However if arrested and/or charged, you will need the services of a lawyer and he should handle those issues for you. My lawyer of choiceis;

Randy Loun of

Loun & Tyner

509-4th Street
Suite 6
Bremerton, WA 98337-1401
(360) 377-7678

rloun@hotmail.com

A gun guy, ex-LEO. lawyer and judge pro-temp, gun collector and a shooting buddy. He is conversant in gun laws and is one of us.

jbone

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
First off only a conviction can affect whether you get to possess or carry. Arrest and prosecution mean squat. However if arrested and/or charged, you will need the services of a lawyer and he should handle those issues for you. My lawyer of choiceis;

Randy Loun of

Loun & Tyner

509-4th Street
Suite 6
Bremerton, WA 98337-1401
(360) 377-7678

rloun@hotmail.com

A gun guy, ex-LEO. lawyer and judge pro-temp, gun collector and a shooting buddy. He is conversant in gun laws and is one of us.
Thanks for the help as always. I'll keep the number in my wallet and hope I never need it.

RiverRat57

Defense Shield

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Thanks for the help as always. I'll keep the number in my wallet and hope I never need it.

I know this is an old thread, but, the USCCA has come out with a PrePaid Defense Shield service for us who carry.

Hope this helps.