• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry OK with teachers, staff carrying guns at schools

marklar

imported post

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/081908dntexschoolguns.de0bca6.html

AUSTIN – Gov. Rick Perry said Monday that he supported the Harrold school district policy to allow teachers and staff members to carry guns at school as long as they are adequately trained in gun safety.
"I'm pretty much a fan that if you've been trained and you are registered, then you should be able to carry a weapon. Matter of fact, there's a lot of instances that would have saved a lot of lives," Mr. Perry said.
The governor is a staunch advocate of right-to-carry provisions and has advocated allowing licensed gun owners to carry them into places where they can currently be banned, such as college campuses, churches, bars and private businesses.

akpoff

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good for Gov. Perry! I'm glad this topic (armed teachers and school staff) is being discussed publicly. Here in Houston the Chronicle quoted several teachers and administrators who opposed the idea, and that's their right. The worst thing that could have happened would have been for everyone to just agree that it's "bad" idea, as will undoubtedly happen in certain areas of our country east of Texas. :)

I think parents everywhere are waking up to the fact that a building full of vulnerable children and unarmed caretakers makes for a bad situation and that armed citizens aren't the bad guys.

Hopefully this debate will lead to a) more school districts adopting similar measures, b) the Legislature allowing CHL to carry into schools and sporting events, ending with c) every law abiding citizen allowed to carry for "defense of self and the State".

rodbender

imported post

akpoff wrote:
Here in Houston the Chronicle quoted several teachers and administrators who opposed the idea

Hopefully this debate will lead to a) more school districts adopting similar measures, b) the Legislature allowing CHL to carry into schools and sporting events, ending with c) every law abiding citizen allowed to carry for "defense of self and the State".

That's not surprising. I wonder how many agreed with the idea and weren't mentioned.

My choice is d) all of the above

akpoff

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rodbender wrote:
akpoff wrote:
Here in Houston the Chronicle quoted several teachers and administrators who opposed the idea

That's not surprising. I wonder how many agreed with the idea and weren't mentioned.

My choice is d) all of the above

I was a bit unclear. I meant a leads to b then to c. So yeah, 'd' all the above. :)

kingmonkey

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Gov. Perry seems like a real stand up kind of guy! Do you know how he feels about OC?
Perry is an asshat on everything but guns. I like the fact that he is a firm believer in right-to-carry but that doesn't make him a stand up kind of guy. This is the same guy that wants to steal 584,000+ acres of prime Texas ranch and farm land to build a road to bring in cheap Chinese goods from Mexico faster while at the same time turning every interstate and highway in Texas into a toll road.

rodbender

imported post

kingmonkey wrote:
Dutch Uncle wrote:
Gov. Perry seems like a real stand up kind of guy! Do you know how he feels about OC?
Perry is an asshat on everything but guns. I like the fact that he is a firm believer in right-to-carry but that doesn't make him a stand up kind of guy. This is the same guy that wants to steal 584,000+ acres of prime Texas ranch and farm land to build a road to bring in cheap Chinese goods from Mexico faster while at the same time turning every interstate and highway in Texas into a toll road.
I know, but let's get open carry passed then we can kick him out.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sen. Hutchison is considering running next year. If I remember correctly, she's the person who said "In my Home State of Texas, Gun Control means using both hands" :) I'm not sure how she is on other issues, but I know she's a Gun-rights kinda gal!