Thread: Another reson to be careful while handling

Post imported post

Always remember your firearm safety rules:

1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.

2. Never allow the muzzle to point at anything you are not willing to see destroyed.

3. Be sure of your target and know what lies behind it.

4. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned on target.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,406363,00.html

GRETNA, La.— A 23-year-old man's attempt to show his girlfriend a pistol ended in tragedy when the gun discharged, killing her, Jefferson Parish Sheriff's deputies said.

Deputies said 23-year-old Averyell Davis was shot in the abdomen Monday night.

Sheriff's spokesman Col. John Fortunato said Curtis C. Murray has been arrested and booked with one count of negligent homicide.

The couple was in the living room of their home in Gretna when the gun discharged, Fortunato said.

He says Davis told first responders that her boyfriend accidentally shot her, Fortunato said.

Davis died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

Post imported post

GRETNA, La. — A 23-year-old man's attempt to show his girlfriend a pistol ended in tragedy when the man pulled the trigger, killing her, Jefferson Parish Sheriff's deputies said.
    Fixed.

Post imported post

True, but a sad situation in all. It could have been totally avoided...

Post imported post

I agree. It's too bad he didn't hit himself with that bullet. Natural selection FTW.

Post imported post

Maybe he just wanted her to think it was an accident.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

Post imported post

Yeah, I'm not sure that a man shooting his g/f "accidentally" necessarily qualifies as a circumstance in which safety rules were not followed. I mean, we do not know that the barrel was not pointing at something he was not willing to see destroyed ... As someone who has dated a whole lot, I"m just sayin' ....
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

Why did they arrest him? The article clearly states that the "gun discharged". I mean , it's just like the antis say, GUNS KILL PEOPLE. That is clearly the case here, isn't it?

It is sad, but I, too, wonder if it was trulyaccidental.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

State Researcher

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    Why did they arrest him? The article clearly states that the "gun discharged". I mean , it's just like the antis say, GUNS KILL PEOPLE. That is clearly the case here, isn't it?

It is sad, but I, too, wonder if it was trulyaccidental.
    It wasn't accidental, the gun meant to do it! :?

Anyway, idiot reporters aside, at least he's being charged appropriately. NEGLIGENT homicide is definitely fitting.

Post imported post

I just want to comment on the 4 rules. The first one as posted is incorrect. All guns are ALWAYS LOADED. If you have an old african safari gun that no once has ammo for within 400 miles, it's still a loaded, deadly gun. It may not have ammo, but it's still "loaded". This should be taken so far as to use a safe backstop for dry firing practice, because obviously all guns are always loaded, even if you believe there to be no rounds in them, they are loaded, so dry firing is still live firing.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I just want to comment on the 4 rules. The first one as posted is incorrect. All guns are ALWAYS LOADED. If you have an old african safari gun that no once has ammo for within 400 miles, it's still a loaded, deadly gun. It may not have ammo, but it's still "loaded". This should be taken so far as to use a safe backstop for dry firing practice, because obviously all guns are always loaded, even if you believe there to be no rounds in them, they are loaded, so dry firing is still live firing.
    I have to disagree. If the first rule is supposed to be "All guns are always loaded", thenthe second ruleshould be "Anything you point at will be destroyed". Neither of these statements are true, no matter how you put it. Treating every weapon AS IF it were loaded is exactly what you should do, hence why it is the first rule.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    I have to disagree. If the first rule is supposed to be "All guns are always loaded", thenthe second ruleshould be "Anything you point at will be destroyed". Neither of these statements are true, no matter how you put it. Treating every weapon AS IF it were loaded is exactly what you should do, hence why it is the first rule.
    Plus, how would you clean a loaded gun?

Post imported post

I tell everyone that my #1 the gun is always loaded, if you know it's unloaded, it's still loaded.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    Plus, how would you clean a loaded gun?
    I've got a glock. According to this, it doesn't need to be cleaned.

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...id=90&Item

Will Rogers

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    I have to go with Dre on this one...

You should not make untruthful statements regarding safety rules. The reason is that one always has that little thing in the back of your mind telling you it really isn't so.

The same thing happens with people who set their clocks forward 5 minutes so they aren't late. The problem is that they KNOW that it is set forward 5 minutes, so no matter how much they try to convince themselves that the REAL time is on the clock, they KNOW it isn't.

Same thing with saying: Every gun is always loaded. No matter how many times you tell yourself, you know it isn't. Then one day, you get confused. You think that it really isn't, and it is.

It is much better to say: Every firearm should be treated as if loaded.

That way, regardless if it is loaded or is not, if your grandmother cleared it, you just pointed it at the ground and pulled the trigger, if the Almighty himself just came down from Heaven above and told you the chamber was empty, you won't have a negligent discharge.

Rule Number One: ALWAYS HANDLE A FIREARM AS IF LOADED.

Post imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    I have to go with Dre on this one...

You should not make untruthful statements regarding safety rules. The reason is that one always has that little thing in the back of your mind telling you it really isn't so.

The same thing happens with people who set their clocks forward 5 minutes so they aren't late. The problem is that they KNOW that it is set forward 5 minutes, so no matter how much they try to convince themselves that the REAL time is on the clock, they KNOW it isn't.

Same thing with saying: Every gun is always loaded. No matter how many times you tell yourself, you know it isn't. Then one day, you get confused. You think that it really isn't, and it is.

It is much better to say: Every firearm should be treated as if loaded.

That way, regardless if it is loaded or is not, if your grandmother cleared it, you just pointed it at the ground and pulled the trigger, if the Almighty himself just came down from Heaven above and told you the chamber was empty, you won't have a negligent discharge.

Rule Number One: ALWAYS HANDLE A FIREARM AS IF LOADED.
    The rule dad and granddad (and about 7 combined uncles ) taught me was.

#1 Treat everygun as if it was loaded, until you havedissasembled it for cleaning; and the firing pin isn't touching anything to cause a "boom".
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when youre serious and when youre being sarcastic. Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

The purpose of the first rule is basically to make sure you follow the other rules, EVEN when you KNOW the gun is not loaded.

For example:

You've just cleared the gun, you know it's not loaded. HOWEVER you should STILL keep your damned booger hook off the bang switch! Why? Because of rule #1. Even if you have made a dreadful mistake in clearing, and there is still a round in the chamber, the gun WILL NOT fire without something pulling the trigger.

Another example:

You need to clean you Glock, so you drop the magazine, lock the slide and inspect the chamber. You feel the chamber with your finger to make sure there is no round, even. You let the slide go forward, and you KNOW that the gun is unloaded. Now, to take down a Glock, you have to first dry fire it to release the spring pressure on the trigger. HOWEVER, you don't just point it any old direction to dry-fire it, you point it at a SAFE DRY-FIRE BACKSTOP. Why? Because of rule #1. Even if you made a mistake, and there is still a round in the chamber, all that will happen is that you will fire harmlessly into a bucket of sand, or a box of old phone books, etc. Sure, you'll be embarassed, but no one will be hurt- because you made sure to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

The rules of gun safety are foolproof. IF YOU FOLLOW ALL THE RULES ALL THE TIME, YOU WILL NOT EVER "ACCIDENTALLY" SHOOT SOMEONE. The four rules are really actually very simple. All you have to do is not skip over any of them, and you CANNOT screw up.

Post imported post

A general rule I've taught my family is to handle a gun as if any misstep could kill someone unintentionally.

Of course, I get more specific than that, but the overarching concept is that the risk of harm is enormous even if the amount of carelessness is slight.

Post imported post

There is a difference between a loaded gun and a gun with rounds in it. I know it's a small, philosophical thing, but I consider it very important.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

ok, you gotta explain that one to me.