• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else have a spouse uncomfortable with OC?

Caveman93

imported post

So I decided to and enjoy my first Open Carry experience and thought my wife would approve of it.I was stopped at the door, pistol in holster,as she hesitated at the last moment and stated, "it wasn'ta good idea to openly carrysince people would see your weapon and would know you have one on you". I acknowledged her fears and I tried my best kindly explaining to her, "that's the point". On our agenda was a stop at Walmart and then the ice cream shop in Brier Creek. (Mind you all we both just finished watching the local news and were discussing the abnormal increase in criminal activities within the last 4 months. (Daily shootings in Durham, Raleigh, Break in's, Mall Riots,home invasions etc.)

Later in conversation, I mentioned that if she would like me to travel with her more often that a conceal permit would help alleviate her anxiety towardsme carrying my pistol and she could feel more secure as well as myself. (Which I am looking forward to do). She was all for the CCWP so I signed up for the class yesterday. Personally, I would like to conceal but open carry would be a great right to exercise as well. I would like to do this without friction from my wife though.

Has anyone else ran into this situation with their significant other? She makes a good point but I thought my point was just as well. What's the best approach to educate and comfort her about openly carrying? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Explain to your wife that it's important for you to exercise your fundamental human rights without first receiving permission from the state. The only way to do this is to carry openly.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I never had much of a problem with my significant other. I just did it :D. She admitted it made her nervous at first, but she trusted that I knew what I was doing. We also talk all the time, so she was aware of the things I was reading on the forum well before I decided to start carrying.

Since I don't know your wife personally, my advice can't be very specific, but I will tell you one thing that has helped me deal with approval from friends and family. I have always tried to make it a very small deal with everyone that I know. If they ask if it's legal, I simply say "of course". If someone says they think it would bring on negative attention (my parents were all about that), I'd just smile and say "I know! I thought so too, but nope. It's not a big deal." Letting them know that you did have the same thoughts that theyhave makes them feel like you're on the same page, so they'll be more open to accepting it like you do.

tracylaud83

imported post

My wife was born and raised in Hawaii. (very anti-gun)

My wife prefers me to CC (which I prefer), but I do OC some when we travel to VA, PA, and NC.

21+ years together, and she still rolls her eyes when I OC.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
My wife was born and raised in Hawaii. (very anti-gun)

My wife prefers me to CC (which I prefer), but I do OC some when we travel to VA, PA, and NC.

21+ years together, and she still rolls her eyes when I OC.
Then roll your eyes at her when she spends 30 minutes doing her make-up. :p

acritical

imported post

Have your wife read some of the threads on here about the non-incidents when it comes to open carry. I have those every weekend. I also go to Brier Creek almost every weekend, to the Wal-mart, Target, Kohl's, and a few other places. Never an incident.

Maybe you should arrange a meeting one day with a regular open-carrier and their significant other. Possibly with some stories to trade, she will feel better. Maybe she feels this way, because she has not seen anyone carrying.

That remind me. I am out every weekend in Raleigh and Durham open carrying, where are you guys?? I have not ran into one of you yet. :)

Awhile ago, someone on here posted that they saw me at Eagle's on Glenwood on Saturday, but that was quite awhile ago. I no longer go there, as the gas prices at Sheetz on Alexander in Durham has been cheaper.

Caveman93

imported post

That sounds great a! We ususally shop on Sunday's so that would be the best time to get together. I am not far from the shopping center at all. I will definately keep in touch with you and give you a heads head next time we're out and about. I appreciate all the feedback!

dirtrooster

imported post

my wife isnt uncomfortable with it, weve been married for over 25 yrs and ive always carried a firearm either open or concealed. but last week we were in a gun shop in wadeboro and i found out my wife didnt even know it was legal. lol.:banghead: all this time she thought i was an outlaw. :celebratethe scary part about that is she was ok with it. lol

tito887

imported post

my wife has a problem with me carrying only when we are going to places that she want's to go to and facing the proposition that we could be kicked out. When she really wants to go somewhere I will conceal. Or while I go out with my in-laws where they are the ones' that are driving and I have no way to leave if I'm kicked out.

swoolard

imported post

My ex-girlfriend was very uncomfortable with it. Notice I said ex.

I'm hoping to find a nice young lady who owns a gun and OC's on her own accord. (Dreaming, I know)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've 'been on' my wife to get a CCW for years... or OC. She keeps one in her glove box. (Always has... even in... well... nevermind..) I OC everyday... (doin' it now with my home carry 9x18mm Mak) Her relatives all hail from Chicago... They come down here to visit 'n get freeked. I make a point of stashin' the tricked out AK 'n the AR in the corner with the mags inserted. (They usually live in the gun locker... but I can't help myself.) Do I give lectures on RTKBA? Is the Pope German?

I tell 'em 'don't wear shorts... or sandals. 'So they wear 'em anyway. My bro-in-law backed into a cactus (Saguero) out front (at night) 'n 'bout near had a coronary. Then backed into a fern... He'll need therapy I think. 'Kept his eyeballs focused on my .45 like it was gonna crawl outta the holster 'n do Evil! City folks are funny in the desert. It's pitch black here at night... Things make noises 'n they panic. It's almost like the wild critters are havin' fun with 'em.

I see some sort of ingrained FEAR in stuff they don't understand. Guns... wild things... ME! LOL!