• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Park Service

Article1section23

imported post

Senator McCaskill,

Thank you for your response. I would like to point out that this "policy" has nothing to do with our right to "own" a firearm. It prohibits our ability to "bear" arms, which is protected by both Article 1, section 23 of the MO Constitution, as well as the Second amendment to the US Constitution. A policy regulating hunting on "Federal" park lands, has nothing to do with citizens carrying firearms for self protection.

I hope you understand the difference and you will vote accordingly on any legislation that infringes on our rights.

Regards,

Shawn *******

Senator McCaskill <senator_mccaskill@mccaskill.senate.gov> wrote:

Dear Mr. *****:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the National Park Service’s firearms policy. I appreciate hearing from you, and I welcome the chance to respond.

As you may know, carrying loaded firearms is generally prohibited within National Parks, though some parks permit the use of firearms during hunting seasons. The National Park Service maintains that this policy is primarily intended to reduce poaching and ensure guest safety. However, Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) plans to offer an amendment to the National Forests, Parks, Public Land, and Reclamation Projects Authorization Act (S.2483) that would forbid the Department of the Interior from enforcing “any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System.”

I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind as the Senate continues to consider this issue. As your Senator, I will work to ensure that efforts to promote appropriate gun safety measures do not infringe upon law-abiding citizens’ right to own firearms or unduly burden the hunting and sportsmanship culture of Missouri.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding other matters of interest or concern to you.

All best,
Senator Claire McCaskill​