• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Commercial/Website idea..

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

An idea for a commercial and website promoting self defense just popped into my head, so I thought I'd share...:

"Ok, lets play a quick game. Pretend you're a criminal and are about to rob someone. Here are your three choices:

1.)Person in New York, NY, jeans and a t-shirt, looks like a tourist (person steps on screen).

2.)Person in Texas, jeans, shirt, sport coat. (person steps on screen)

3.) Personin Virginia, gun on hip. (person steps on screen)

Who do you choose? Criminals play this game every day when they choose their victims. They can tell who's vulnerable and wont fight back, and that's who they attack.

Do criminals know that YOU are unarmed? Find out more at http://www.opencarry.org/protectyourself."

The website would be a well-designed, probably flash-based site where you would fill out a quick questionnaire about yourself, including the state you live in. The website then gives back a rating, based on the info given, of how much of a target you are to criminals. It will provide info about state firearm and self defense laws, and advice on how to be less of a target, including situational awareness, confidence, and smart decisions. It's not all about having a gun, after all. The focus would be self protection,not just gun rights.

What do you guys think? (No flaming please, this is just open brain storming. Like I said, the idea popped into my head so I figured I'd share.)

SQLtables

imported post

I like this idea. I don't think a "rating" of how much of a target you are should be included. How would you measure that? There is really only hard data on people who have been attacked, not on those who deterred an attack. All-in-all, I like the idea of some sort of public service announcement...

Orygunner

imported post

Great idea. Doesn't even necessarily have to be about Open Carry. Maybe something showing the difference between condition white and condition yellow.

"Let's play a game. Pretend you're a sexual predator, looking for your next victim. Which would you choose?"

A. Shows a young attractive woman walking along a sidewalk at dusk. She has on headphones, listening to music, and texting on her cell phone. Show the predator standing unconcealed as she walks by, oblivious to everything around her. He falls in a couple of steps behind her and she still doesn't notice....

B. Shows an equally attractivewoman walking along, paying attention to everything around her. She spots the predator standing by the sidwalk ahead, and making eye contact, she crosses the street, The predator is hesitant, but takes a couple of steps in her direction. Her hand goes inside her purse, while still intent on the predator. Hesees her hand inside her purse andstarts walking another direction, looking for an easier victim...

"Which did you pick?It should have been pretty obvious. Criminals perfer easy targets, ones that aren't paying attention, ones that appear to be an easy victim. Woman A was in what experts call 'Condition White.' Oblivious to her surroundings, shedid not know danger was near until it was too late to do anything about it."

"Woman B was in what we call 'Condition Yellow.' She was aware of her surroundings, scanning the area around her for potention threats. She spotted the suspicious manwatching her approach intently in plenty of time. She did not let herself get within his range of attack. Once she spotted a potential threat, she went into 'Condition Orange,' which is being aware of a specific potential threat. She crossed the street, and watched him closely, lettinghim know she isn't an easy victim. When the man started taking a couple of hesitant steps in her direction, she reached inside her purse for her personal protection firearm, ready to protect herself if necessary. Her actions and confidence saved her from attack."

"Your best defensive weapon is your brain. If you are aware of your surroundings you will have plenty of time to react to potentially dangerous situations and have plenty of options. If you walk around in 'Condition White', you won't know you're in troubleuntil it's too late to do anything but be a victim."

Hmm. That seems longer than a regular commercial. Maybea Public Service Announcement?

...The More You Know...
...Orygunner...

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Great idea. Doesn't even necessarily have to be about Open Carry. Maybe something showing the difference between condition white and condition yellow.

"Let's play a game. Pretend you're a sexual predator, looking for your next victim. Which would you choose?"

A. Shows a young attractive woman walking along a sidewalk at dusk. She has on headphones, listening to music, and texting on her cell phone. Show the predator standing unconcealed as she walks by, oblivious to everything around her. He falls in a couple of steps behind her and she still doesn't notice....

B. Shows an equally attractivewoman walking along, paying attention to everything around her. She spots the predator standing by the sidwalk ahead, and making eye contact, she crosses the street, The predator is hesitant, but takes a couple of steps in her direction. Her hand goes inside her purse, while still intent on the predator. Hesees her hand inside her purse andstarts walking another direction, looking for an easier victim...

"Which did you pick?It should have been pretty obvious. Criminals perfer easy targets, ones that aren't paying attention, ones that appear to be an easy victim. Woman A was in what experts call 'Condition White.' Oblivious to her surroundings, shedid not know danger was near until it was too late to do anything about it."

"Woman B was in what we call 'Condition Yellow.' She was aware of her surroundings, scanning the area around her for potention threats. She spotted the suspicious manwatching her approach intently in plenty of time. She did not let herself get within his range of attack. Once she spotted a potential threat, she went into 'Condition Orange,' which is being aware of a specific potential threat. She crossed the street, and watched him closely, lettinghim know she isn't an easy victim. When the man started taking a couple of hesitant steps in her direction, she reached inside her purse for her personal protection firearm, ready to protect herself if necessary. Her actions and confidence saved her from attack."

"Your best defensive weapon is your brain. If you are aware of your surroundings you will have plenty of time to react to potentially dangerous situations and have plenty of options. If you walk around in 'Condition White', you won't know you're in troubleuntil it's too late to do anything but be a victim."

Hmm. That seems longer than a regular commercial. Maybea Public Service Announcement?

...The More You Know...
...Orygunner...
I don't think it should be women. I think it should be perhaps a couple on a dinner out...and maybe a family....and maybe even a couple of friends? Better yet, what about a gay/lesbian couple? And other minorities that suffer from hate crimes that might not normally think about carrying?

If the anti's can use emotion....so can we!

Orygunner

imported post

Theseus wrote:
I don't think it should be women. I think it should be perhaps a couple on a dinner out...and maybe a family....and maybe even a couple of friends? Better yet, what about a gay/lesbian couple? And other minorities that suffer from hate crimes that might not normally think about carrying?
Yes! I think that manyminorities (black, gay, hispanic, poor) follow the liberal/democratic camp because of the belief the libs are on their side more than the conservative/Republican camp. They may tend to follow the libs side of the gun control debatejust because it'slock-step with the party they follow, without really investigating or thinking about it too hard. I love Oleg Volk's images and posters and how he uses minorities (and women!) a lot.

Theseus wrote:
If the anti's can use emotion....so can we!
Absolutely! Except we have all the facts to back it up.

Voiceover: In 200X, the Department of Justice reported:
(title on screen Left Side) DOJ Violent Crime Statistics, 2006
VO (& Printed onscreen left side over montage of crime victims): "X # Murders.... X# Rapes..... X# Robberies.... and X# Assaults... Totalling X Hundred Thousand violent crimes."

VO: In the same year, the National Self Defense Survey determined 2.5 MILLION people in the US defended themselves against these types of crimes with a firearm.
(Title on Screen, right side, over montage of armed citizens) Self Defense with a firearm PREVENTED 2,500,000 people from becoming a victim!

(Fade to montage of families, gay partners, minorities, women, etc)
VO: Will you be a victim? Or will you choose to start taking responsibility for your own safety and that of your loved ones today?

(Fade to black)

(Title): Be Responsible. Be Prepared. Get a Firearm. Get Trained.
I didn't have the time to lookup the crime statistics, but I seem to remember violent crimes just with a firearm were around 400,000?maybe I'm incorrect...

...Orygunner...