• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Professional Traffic Stop in Reston - Fairfax County Police

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
It's because we're so quick to bitch at them when they screw up, so Ed's being just as quick to praise them when they do it right.

Edit: NOTE TO SELF: Self, be sure to go to the last page of the thread before you respond, just in case Ed already took care of it.
Texas... you seem to me to be of sound mind :) I always welcome your response even if we say the same thing.

richarcm

imported post

I know that there are tests out that show that the lights are more effective at getting attention and safer than the siren. Perhaps those lights are annoying (I find them pretty cool) but like an alarm clock sometimes "annoying" can equate to "effective". If you can't miss the new lights that means you can't miss the cop as it is speeding down the road through traffic hoping that nobody hits him while on a chase.

sccrref

imported post

richarcm wrote:
I know that there are tests out that show that the lights are more effective at getting attention and safer than the siren. Perhaps those lights are annoying (I find them pretty cool) but like an alarm clock sometimes "annoying" can equate to "effective". If you can't miss the new lights that means you can't miss the cop as it is speeding down the road through traffic hoping that nobody hits him while on a chase.
Or standing on the sisde of the road next to a stopped vehicle.

ed

imported post

ed wrote:
Went out to dinner tonight with wife and daughterat Reston Town Center (Rio Grande Cafe) while OC.. No issues. Left the parking lot and went down to the Fairfax County Parkway. Apparently, there was a "NO TURN ON RED" sign that I missed and I made a right turn when traffic allowed. Moments later a zillion of those new bright Blue LED lights (I love thosethings)... then the spotlight in the rear view. I had my driver's window open and left arm and hand were in site. I put my right hand at 10 o'clock on steering wheel so that it would be in site too. (At this point I still had not idea why I was pulled over and was not sure if he followed me from the restaurant or had a "man with a gun call, etc.) He came to the window, we greeted each other and he told me why he stopped me. He then asked for my license and I explained it was in my pocket but that before I reached for it I wanted him to know I was under arms and Open Carrying on my right side. He said "ok" and that was the end of the discussion regarding the firearm. A noticed a second unit pull up behind the first and the first office returned after about 5 minutes with a written warning and asked me to be more careful regarding the signs and gave me a written warning.

I will be sending one of my post cards to Fairfax County PD for the professionalism showed.

Not that it matters and/or that he even saw my shirt.. but I was wearing my VCDL shirt. Maybe it brought me good luck.

http://www.flyboyed.com/ocdo/trafficstop.wav

or

http://www.flyboyed.com/ocdo/trafficstop.mp3

7 mins 11 seconds.

Ed

- - -

edit: postcard sent.

fxcopc.jpg

Fairfax County Police replied today:

fxcoletter.jpg

nitrovic

imported post

Wow Ed, I must say I am very impressed. I have had many people say they are going to write a letter or call for a "job well done", but it has never happened. I even found an abducted little girl a while back and the famiy could have cared less. Believe me, the departments make a BIG deal of positive citizen contacts. You would not believe the number of bogus complaints (and some rightful complaints as well) that officers receieve. I have seen officers receive complaints when they weren't even at the scene!! Just old girlfriends or people they arrested that are pissed off at them. Good for you Ed. :D

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Ed:

Very nice recording, but you didn't mention in the written narrative that you had been distracted by talking on the phone when you made the turn. I'm sure it was very easy to miss the "NO TURN ON RED" sign while talking on the phone and to your wife at the same time. The .wav file was very interesting! I need to make sure I get a digital recorder as soon as I can.

;)

Mike

ed

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
you didn't mention in the written narrative that you had been distracted by talking on the phone when you made the turn. I'm sure it was very easy to miss the "NO TURN ON RED" sign while talking on the phone and to your wife at the same time.
Except I have NEVER noticed it even before that when not on the phone and no wife in the car...

ed

imported post

I coulda removed it when I posted it.. but I am pretty active in my community and in the papers all the time and on message boards, and sending out OC cards, etc. Removing it here would not do much good.