• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Pistol Break-In

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am planning on firing my Springfield XD for the first time tomorrow...

I have some Hoppe's #9 to strip down the factory lube job, and I have ordered some Gun Butter (reported by several gunsmiths and owners to be the better lube out there) to lube it up with.

Anything I should do or not do during the break-in period?

How many rounds need to be fired the first session?

And most importantly, should there be a thin coating of lube on the interior of the barrel?

Any thoughts, ideas, etc. are appreciated.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

My break in procedures:

1.) Clean gun out of box, oil with rem-oil where recommended in manual.

2.) Shoot the crap out of the gun :D.

3.) Shoot some more, and have fun!

4.) After about 300-400 rounds, clean, holster, buy another gun lol.

I figure if the gun, with out a cleaning in between, can shoot 300 rounds without a failure of any sort, I'll trust it enough to carry. I personally don't see any reasonfor the break in tobe any more complicated than that.

eyesopened

imported post

My XD didn't need any special break-in. I think I shot 50 rds of ball ammo and switched to JHP and it fed it fine. I've fed it different types of JHP and it never skips a beat.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, to be honest, the procedure used for mine and most of my friends' XDs was to field strip, verify no blockages, burrs, hang-ups, etc., reassemble and put about 200 rounds through it. Then we field stripped, cleaned them with our preferred cleaning methods, lubed and put another 200-500 rds through them including our SD test ammo. By then it is pretty well broken in and ready for a careful cleaning and carry.

So yeah, I think all of us did the first range trip with factory lube and zero FTF, FTE or other problems. Not saying it is the best way, just what we did and without any problems. Wouldn't suggest that with every firearm by any means either, but I think the XD is pretty much out of the box fine to shoot.

ETA: I think you'll enjoy the tactical model. I personally prefer shooting it to the service. Like my fiancee has mentioned to me, an extra inch makes a bigger difference than one might think. :p

Dustin

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Phoenixphire wrote:
Dustin wrote:
What kind of XD did you get ?

9mm 5-inch.

Bi-Tone, OD Green, Black ?

You must not be used to forums.

We don't like to imagine, we like to see. ;)

Jesus... Fine.

See?

Want me to tell you how it smells? :D
(Yummy, if you must know.)

Dude your so missing the point here. Nevermind and sorry for asking :?

Were ALL well aware of what a Tactical 5'' XD 9 looks like, We can go to SA.com and look all day.

Anyone can say hey I got a Barret .50 Cal see; Google Image.

barrett_95.jpg

I meant for you to show us a picture of YOUR OWN XD. For example, If you ask me to showwhat I owned, I would say, an XDM Bi-Tone and post a personal picture. Like below.

p1010131bq7.jpg

Like I said, it's no big deal though ;)

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sigh....

How do you know that isn't my gun?

Huh? Huh? How do you know?

(Your right, it was a Google Image.)

Here you go:

Sorry about the crappy image, my webcam sucks ass, and I don't own a digi cam yet.

FogRider

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
Sigh....

Here you go:

Sorry about the crappy image, my webcam sucks ass, and I don't own a digi cam yet.
Awesome. Don't worry about the quality, we just want to see your gun.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I got my Gun Butter package in the mail today.

I had been cycling the slide, and working draw some to get familiar with the weapon.

I took down the weapon, stripped it with Hoppe's, and then used the Gun Butter.

I have to say, that is the best feeling cycle I have ever had on a firearm. There is no tension, no friction. The trigger pull is smooth as silk, the slide is like ice.

I think it was DeepDiver who reccommended it. I have to agree.. VERY nice...

Now, to go shoot it in 2 hours.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
Sigh....

Here you go:

Hey, we're just excited for you!! If this were a parenting sight we would want to see pics of YOUR baby not someone else's baby even though they all pretty much look alike :p.

ETA: Glad you like the Gun Butter. Good stuffs.

As you shoot the XD you will find that the mag springs loosen up a bit making loading those last 2 rounds no big deal. Also, the trigger smooths out a bit and the slide will be a little less stiff to cycle. Just part of the joy of the break-in of a new pistol. Looking forward to your range report!

losr13

imported post

I love my XD,

Ihave fired several thousand rounds through it , 500 rounds as soon as i got it,

just put a buffer on it after 500 rds

Enjoy

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
(SNIP) Looking forward to your range report!
Well, I did the IDPA course last night.

I got there right as they were starting, as the UPS man (who was delivering my ammo and gear) got here as late a humanly possible.

I only got to shoot about 50 rounds, but they were fun. :D

I plan to do a good deal more firing next week, after the IDPA course. The guy who has the range key was exhausted last night, so we just got out of there right away.

It was all good, though. Great fun.

Loved the XD. Handled like a champ. Shot some old rounds through it, no problems.

Cleaned it up this morning, everything looked like new. :D

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
And most importantly, should there be a thin coating of lube on the interior of the barrel?

It doesn't really matter. As soon as you pull the trigger once, that thin coating of oil is gone.

Shoot as much as you can. And buy a .22 handgun so you can shoot even more than that!

Enjoy!