• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

change in company policy

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Update: Company policy now officially updated to allow secured firearms to be in personal vehicles on company policy!!!!

old policy:
in addition, firearms in employee vehicles are strictly prohibited!
new policy:
In addition, firearms in employee-owned vehicles parked on Company
property are only permitted for individuals licensed to carry a concealed weapon and
only in the case that the weapon is appropriately secured in the vehicle at all times.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopes dashed....

line found in employee handbook update this morning...
In addition, firearms in employee-owned vehicles parked on Company
property are only permitted for individuals licensed to carry a concealed weapon and
only in the case that the weapon is appropriately secured in the vehicle at all times.

Line removed by lunch

:cuss::banghead::cuss:

Xeni

imported post

What was the previous policy? If no policy existed then this could be an erosion of instead of increased freedoms.

Having said that, I think anytime a company acknowledges that firearms aren't a bad thing - thats a win. :D

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

before was a zero tolerance policy including parking lots and company travel.

eta: if there was not a previous policy, this couldn't be a start towards freedom... :lol:

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just got an email...The updated policy was inadvertently applied during our last update cycle and is not effective nor approved.

:banghead::banghead::cuss::banghead: it's been posted quietly for almost 5 months and I (since I have been a thorn in their side about this) get to tell those that I know would be effected that the policy change has been invalidated and removed from the handbook effective immediately....

it was a fun run while it lasted! Too bad those of us that carry pretty much found out today because we looked at the last draft and news spread like wildfire!

ufcfanvt

imported post

A loss for freedom (at least temporarily) and a Big Win for Bureaucratic Tyranny (the worst sort by far) :( Military tyrannies don't last long, this type can endure for generations!
The string has been dangled, we swatted, and now they are laughing. This should harden our resolve :lol:

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think the issue is our HR person really does not want to do anything different than the rest of the world. We picked up an HR director and from there, policies have been a really slow grind (we have also almost doubled in size). But the draft that was published had be written for quite a while (~1yr) and just never placed before the president to be evaluated...

At least now it made it to him for a call....

as far as where I work, I'm not going to say on the forum but we do not sell to the public.

Michigander

imported post

I've never had a company that searched my trunk, or for that matter what I have under my shirt. I don't see a reason to worry about idiotic policies like that. They are there to be violated, and that is that.

ScottyT

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I've never had a company that searched my trunk, or for that matter what I have under my shirt. I don't see a reason to worry about idiotic policies like that. They are there to be violated, and that is that.

A big +1 on that!:celebrate

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The president approved the policy as expected. The massive hurdle was getting it through the hoops to get to him!

I think it has been a well fought battle!

Maybe I can gather more people for the next OC lunch since several will now have their sidearms in their cars!
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

zoom6zoom

imported post

That's great. Most companies don't write their own policies, they buy a package of boilerplate from somewhere and hate to change anything because it costs money. So everyone ends up with the same BS employee manual.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

after several years of fighting and a rollover of most of the HR staff, it finally got into the manual. I'm just glad I was able to get it elevated far enough.

It really helped that KY passed laws preventing employers from firing people for firearms secured in their cars and FL, VA, and PA all working on similar legislation...