• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Canoeing and fishing

beradcee

imported post

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good rivers I can canoe/fish on that I would also be able to OC? Trying to stay out of state/national parks.Not too picky on location, just away from thecity.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

beradcee wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows of any good rivers I can canoe/fish on that I would also be able to OC? Trying to stay out of state/national parks.Not too picky on location, just away from thecity.

Be careful.. Like if you were near my house and decided to go canoe at my local Virginia park... the moment you are completely floating you are "officially" in Maryland.

eyesopened

imported post

ed wrote:
beradcee wrote:

Be careful.. Like if you were near my house and decided to go canoe at my local Virginia park... the moment you are completely floating you are "officially" in Maryland.
Is that true even if you were on a lake in VA? Or is that just on the Potomac?

rebfan

imported post

Just for parts of the Potomac. Unless of course the lake is in a National park, you are OK to carry. You might want to double check, but I believe for the lakes that are owned by the VA Game and fish department you must CC.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The Shenandoah isn't too far from you. It's a beautiful canoe river and has some great smallmouth fishing.

rebfan

imported post

There are a few areasthat are, and are indicated by markers. But, for the most part, the river is owned by MD.

mobeewan

imported post

I have a CHP and canoe the Rappahannock River. I keepmy pistol in a waterproof zippered dry bag thatSEALS carry medical kits in when theyexit submerged submarines. I can unzip the bag and reach in and grab the pistol if needed without any trouble, so I don't have to worry about getting the pistol wet while canoeing so I have never OC'ed on the river.

I take 2or3 weekend trips each year in May and early June. I paddle the sectiion between Remington to Rappahannock River Campground and have also done the section fromRappahannock River Campground to Motts Run. Between Remington and Motts Run Resivoir the land along the banks falls into 3 categories.
Private, Virginia Game Department or City of Frederecksburg. The City owns a lot of land on this section and have been buying it to preserve the river.

About 2.8 miles below the Railroad Bridge at Remington and just above the best rapids on this section of river is a gas line crossing under the river. The right bank from the gas line to the Kelly's Ford bridge (4.4 miles below Remington) belongs to the C.F. Phelps Wild Life Management Area. From the bridge the left bank is C.F. Phelps WMA to about 6 miles below the bridge. There are trees along the banks with White Diamond shaped signs indicating the WMA. You will need a CHP in order to get out of the boat in the WMA. You canOC on theproperty belonging to the city. The only problem is being able to determine where it is. The section of river between Remington and Motts Run is pretty remote with very few houses. I don't know if the river itself is okay for OC since thegame wardens do patrol itwith rubber raftsthat have outboards with jet pumps instead of props. They are checking to make sure fishermen havefishing liscenses. I think you may be okay on the river, but the Game department owns the public canoe ramps at Motts Run and Kelly's Ford.

I was talking to a warden once when they were putting a raft in at the campground and they said all they need is 3 inches of water for the pump to propel the raft. I have been paddling and seen them pulling the raft over the rapids to continue up river. I have been going to the Rappahannock River to canoe for the last 25 years and have only seen game wardens about 5 times. Never more than once on the same trip.

Ric in Richmond

imported post

The chicahominy is a back to nature as you will ever get.

The most recent Pocahontas movie was filmed there since it is so untouched. Cypress swamps and mahogany brown tannic water. Really pretty!!!