• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus

gamestalker

imported post

I bought a Taurus PT 24/7 Pro in .40 cal about 6 months ago. My son bought the same thing but in the sub compact. This gun was $350. and I'm really blown away with the accuracy and reliability. I've shot at least 1,000 rounds through it and can't get it to jam once. And so far as the accuracy, I'm shooting a 12" x12" target board @ 100 yds. with every single round on the board and grouped nicely in the center. I bought brass and have only shot reloads through it, but even so it should have jammed at least a couple of times I would think.And it has a trigger that allows you to strike the primer over and over again without having to do anything but continue pulling the trigger. I really like that feature as it gives you the opportunity to clear a mis-fire if a bad primer or shallow seated one ever occures by just forcing it to fire which usually will fire if punched again. Dove tail front and rear sights that can be fine tuned. Its quick and easy to break down for cleaning, and its nice and light weight. And I can use the standard 10 rd., 14 rd., 15 rd., or up to a 30 round clip if I so choose. I found glass beaded clips for it, 2 for $18. for the 15 rd. and 2 for $24. for the 30 rd.. I honestly have to say of all the auto loaders I own, I own at least 1 ofthe really good ones, this is the highest quality one I think. Compared to these of which still hold their own for obvious reasons, and I don't have anything bad to say about how they've treated me.I wouldn't sell any of the following ones I own, just wouldn't be hesitant to put them up against the Taurus as follows:Sigs (3), Glocks (had 5) currently 3, Beretta (1), Ruger (1), HK (2), Browning (2), Walther (1), Springfield 1911 & XD 40, had2 Kahr K-9 sold 1, S&W (2) 4566 & SW99 compact and acouple dozen or so mid range quality autoloading pieces that don't really belong in this comparison.My wife wants me to buy her the sub compact as she really likes the one my son has. Speaking of wife, I got a Sig. for my wife, good trade!

gamestalker

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Taurus seems to make a quality product... overall. I intend to get one of their "Judge' series.45/410's for my wife to OC soon. The ideaof 3 .35 cal balls (410/000 buck) exiting the barrel at once appeals to me for a self defense dubble actionweapon.

Alec411

imported post

Rebel: I am not sure why but the "Judge" fascinates me. I'm not quite sure how I would load it! Two 410's & 3 .45Colt. the reverse? Since most shootings (per FBI) follow the "Rule of 3's", I figure two 410's to the face at anything under 10 feet, would mess up a BG's day. Especially if followed by a .45 if needed. I don't think I'd carry it as a primary(thinkin like an old cop again). I had a M85 and a 608, and loved them both.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Well... a .45LC (Long Colt) ain't no slouch of a cartridge. It's a big, heavy lead bullet that does a LOT of damage. 410 000 buckshot will also ruin yer day. 3X .35 cal lead balls ea. I'd carry that for a Primary. I've seen the video... and this thing makes a mess out of a target within 8-10'. I think I'd load 3x 410 and2x.45 in order. Almost makes ya wanna carry one of these 'n one of whatever else. :)

gamestalker

imported post

I hand load for the 45 LC and with the 300 gr.JHP I'd be afraid of putting the BG through the wall thus costing me a lot of home repair reconstruction. But no doubt about it, this would get the job done in any circumstance. I think I would alternate every other one .410, 45LC, .410 and so. After about the second round the BG would be praying for death and also wondering what hell is going on and why one round has put a hole big enough to drive a truck through and the next one completely blew his leg off.

I've always said I'd rather be shot by a single projectile over a shotgun load any day! Not that I'd want to be shot at all, but I have been,about 35 or 40 years ago I was shot by a 22 mag. HP and it hurt like hell. It shot me through the crotch of my pants grazing my nut sack. I was about 14 or 15 years old hunting rabbits with my brother in law and dropped the gun, a Ruger. Back then my name was Michael, now everyone calls me Michelle. Anyway, that was before the improvements that prevented a discharge from impact on the hammer. It hurt so bad that I passed out cold, maybe from fear that I had lost my nuts, maybe from pain, I don't honestly know! The good news is I was sore for about a week and didn't suffer any permanent damage a result of that incident.

gamestalker

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Just came back from the Pima County Fairgrounds gunshow. Damn near bought a 'Judge'... long barrel. This thing's BIG. The short version's long as my SAA .45 Vaquero. I dunno what kind'a holster will fit this thing.

gamestalker

imported post

I saw 3 of those at Spragues, you know, our only gun shop in Yuma. I agree the big one is as big as a Vaquero, but the short one looked pretty nice so far as size is concerned. And honestly speaking, I don't see how you can get something that offersa package like that much smaller.

I think if I were the one carrying a self defense weapon like that I would load it with 3" magnums shooting BB shot to increase the damage done rather than 00 buck or similar shot. I would rather do an extreme amount of damage vs a couple of holes that just might miss the vitals and certainly not inflict as much pain, but I bet 30 or so pellets would. After all if your going to use 00buck why even use a shotgun shell at all?I use BB in my turkey hunting loads and it seems to be enough shot to deliver a fairly good pattern, while inflicting some deep wounds.

gamestalker

Sonora Rebel

imported post

000 Buck... = 3x .35 cal balls pretty much close together. Is therea 410 magnum? I'm not shootin' turkeys...

gamestalker

imported post

Indeed there is. It's a 3" shell instead of the 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" shells. I've hunted turkey with them, successfully I might add. I would just think that the BB which is a load of .18" copper plated or not, pellets. There are approx. 25 pellets in the 2 3/4" shells, probably 21 in the 2 1/2" shells. I alsoreload #4 buck whenI can't find the BB shot, it's pretty close in size.

gamestalker

Alec411

imported post

Rebel

I understand that Taurus has introduced/updated "Judge", now will take 3"

.410 shells in 6" bbl.

Also updated M85 to 856 - six round, total magniseium, blue steel, stainless

gamestalker

imported post

That 3" is definitely the ticket. I certainly wouldn't want to be at the receiving end of any .410, but the 3" does deliver a much harder hitting load of what ever you choose. And if you buy one of those inexpensive Lee Load All shot shell reloader, you can make some very nasty reloads for the .410 application. I have hunted with the .410 off and on for years and also chronograph everything I shoot and the reloads are much, much, higher velocity than the factory stuff hands down. I'm getting way over 1600 fps vs 1250 or so from the factory. And cost, don't get me started, .410 is the most expensive shotgun to shoot and reloading it save a bunch of denero as well.

gamestalker

Sonora Rebel

imported post

This hotload stuff is all well and good but we're talkin' about a defensive handgun which may require more than one round fired with mimimal recovery time... Quite possibly one-handed.

Practicality is the primary concern.

gamestalker

imported post

I understand and respect that position. I'm a little more adapted to recoil and in fact shoot the hot stuff one handed with no problems. To each their own.

gamestalker

Alec411

imported post

Gamestalker:

Thanks for the info. I wondered about reloading the .410

Does any one recall if Taurus increased the capacity from 5 to 6 on the Judge??

I know on the "new" 856 (read 85-6) .38 Spl, cap. is 6 and the STEEL models are +P rated (the one made out of magnes.) uses STD loads ONLY

captdreifus

imported post

The first hand gun I owned was a PT-111. Had it for a few months...decided it was junk due to the trigger pull, feed problems with Speer GD 147gr HP's, and the ergos. Decided to get a g19. Well worth the extra 200usd. IMHO.

cptdreifus

Alec411

imported post

GAMESTALKER: G' Morn re: you're getting 1600 fps vs 1450 with factory loads in the Judge shooting .410. Any thoughts on a post-shooting investigation and some ADA screaming, "you couldn't use recommended factory loads; you had to increase the charge to insure death", or other such question?

Having seen these (I assume) side, by side,the 3 " versus the 6";If you were making a recommendation, would you recommend 3" for CC, and the 6" for OC?

Interested in your thoughts?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

District Atty's vs 'trick' rounds: In the 'event'.... (the one we all hope never happens) 'n having been a cop with some extensive court time. These DA's will play the 'Rambo' angle to the hilt. Discover WHAT types of ammo your local LEO's are authorized to use. I s'pose some jurisdictions don't 'specify' what's carried in the duty gun... but some require 'Departmentally Issued' ammo... period. There's no personal substitutes allowed. 'Having been involved in a 'Police' shooting'... 'first thing the IID (Internal Investigation Division) dude at the scene did was check what my pistol was loaded with and how many rounds I'd fired (one... @ 46') Ennyhoo... all this fancy hi-powered expanding bullet stuff may give y'all some warm fuzzies... but (I cannot emphasize this enuff...) You... as a 'civilian'... shoot to 'STOP' the attacker... ALWAYS. All this 'shoot to kill' stuff sounds very macho 'til you're sittin' on the stand 'n some yahoo lawyer is pickin' your bones... AND THEY WILL! Juries generally are gun-stupid for the most part (cow brains) 'n will tend to side with the person gettin' shot by such, no matter if they deserved it or not. Prosecuters will produce all sorts of grisly photo's of the 'damage' to your detriment. I've seen this done where a dubble barreled shotgun was used at close range... (both barrels at once). Much ado about why 'both barrels were used'... heedless of the double triggers jerked in haste. As tho the shooter fired each individually. Also WHY the weapon was loaded with 000 Buckshot... rather than 'birdshot'. Not that it would'a mattered much at the range. Prosecutors ain't all that gun savvy (or friendly) either. They're LAWYERS... generally LIBERALS... employed by LIBERALS.For this reason alone...I carry nuthin' but 'plain Jane' out of the box ammo. I do carry HP's in the 9x18mm Mak... but FMJ ball or bare lead in the other pistols. (lead in the SAA .45)

For the Taurus Judge... 000 Buck is gonna make a mess... and those .45LC lead bullets will too. The idea is to STOP an attacker... a human... not a Cape Buffalo.