• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Selecting a "starter" 1911

Chaingun81

imported post

Hi guys! Iam looking into buying a 1911sometime inearly winterand i frankly don't want to spend too much money for it, but i feel like i am ready to own one. I own a revolver and couple of semi-autos of different types, but no 1911's yet in my collection. At the same time, i really doubt i'd carry it on a regular basis anytime soon(need to get used to the idea of carryingcocked-and-locked), so it doesn't have to be super quality or have high-tech upgrades - it really will primarily be a starter 1911 to have fun at the range with. That being said, i also don't want to shell out a $ 1000 or even more for a Kimber or a Para, actually i was hoping to keep it in the range of $500-$700.$600 or under would be perfect, up to $700 is ok, anythingover $700 and up to a $1000 would require some serious convincing and over a $1000 is just not an option. Used guns are out of question too, even in new-like condition- just a personal preference.

So, given my tight requirmentsi was choosing between a Taurus PT1911 and SA GI 45. In one gun store i was told that both guns are fine - just the Taurus is lessrespectable and less fancy, but loaded with more options and more up-to-date, while SA GI has nothing on it, but generally more reliable and solid - pretty much the same i thought myself. In the 2nd store i was told that PT1911 is really bad quailty handgun and is not reliable and therefore so cheap, while SA GI is a very reliable and solid gun just being built to pure military specs of 1911 and is very simple. The 3rd store advised the exact opposite about reliability.

Now i am puzzled. Whoever owns or did own either of these guns or better both of them - please share your positive and negative experiences with both - any first-hand advice will be appreciated. Also, let me knowif you know of any other 1911 in my price range which you would prefer to the ones described above.

P.S. One more thing which might make my selection easier. While Taurus PT1911 is widely availiable everywhere, it seems that SA GI is constantly out of stock in every gun store and even online dealer, butSA still has it up on their website, so i don't think it's been discontinued...any ideas?

Thanks!

FogRider

imported post

I manage to snag a SA GI at Gander Mountain, and I love it. It hasn't been discontinued, in fact it's quite the opposite. It's hard to find because they can't keep up with demand.

45-ACP

imported post

I carry the pt 1911 taurus . I cant think of any thing bad to say about the weapon except im not crazy about the sights, 2 white dots , but a little paint on the sights fixed that.

thus far it has proven to be reliable and trouble free, and very accurate.

Evil Ernie

imported post

As I type this, my Taurus PT1911B is riding my hip, condition 1.
I've since replaced the grips twice (I'm just a picky bastard) and that's all of the mods I've done to it. I didn't like the factory grips so I initially put a Hogue wraparound grip which really made it a great handling sidearm. But I wanted something just a tad elegant so I put the Pachmyer rosewood and black rubber wraparounds on it. Now it looks awesome.
As far as shooting, it's dead accurate and will eat any ammo I put in it. I've even been able to ring the 8"x12" gong at 100 yards twice out of one mag. The other six shots were just off to one side or the other by an inch or so. That was with standard WWB FMJ's.
Don't let anyone tell you that Taurus is junk. These 1911's are hand tuned and fitted. They have all the bells and whistles that you'd want in a modern 1911 platform. Add to the fact that Taurus has a lifetime warranty no questions asked. The warranty is still valid to successive owners. I have a 19 yr old PT99AF that sheared the locking block and I'm definitely not the original owner. I filled out the online workorder, boxed it, and shipped it. Two weeks later it came back with a new block, cleaned, and a nice thank you note from the Taurus tech.

The SA is an awesome pistol as well whether it be in it's original military configuration or with bells/whistles. I don't own one but I couple friends do and they're just really fine shootin iron!

My only beef with the Taurus is the ambi safety. It's somewhat common for the two piece safety to come apart. Not a biggie, it just snaps right back in, but it does happen from time to time.

Here's my baby with the older Hogue grips:

DSC00040.jpg

Brian D.

imported post

Another entry level 1911 to think about is a Norinco, if you can find a low-miles one that hasn't been 'Bubbatized' by bad amatteur gunsmithing. The Nork I've had longest is at up over 20,000 rounds now without incident. They are typically hella strong and will run and run and run.

tju1973

imported post

RIA (Rock Island Arms) can be had for around $325-$370 and shoot all day long. Although the .45ACP is the best price wise, I have a .38 Super one that shoots right there with Kimber and the lot-- although I have the trigger worked on and the hammer and springs replaced-- but for an out of the box shooter, I paid $350 NIB a year ago, and it workds like a champ---AND takes all normal adds and mods...

Erus

imported post

Second the vote for RIA. Mine is great.

Also have deep respect for the SA G.I.

Both are solid, simple examples of 1911's without high cost and do the job they were built to do.

yearofspider

imported post

If you shop around, you can find a SA Loaded model for under $700. That would be better than any Taurus you come across. About 2 months ago, I picked up a SA Black Stainless Target model that had never been fired for $630 from an online auction site. Price included shipping and transfer fee. If my dealer would have ordered it for me, it would have cost over $950. Check out the online gun auction sites. Good deals are out there;)

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I got the Taurus PT1911 a couple years ago, shortly after I joined this site. I've carried it pretty much exclusively ever since and it's my gun of choice while shooting IPSC and IDPA matches. It has performed flawlessly (with Chip McCormick SS magazines) and even after afew thousand roundsthrough it it has never had a failure to feed or failure to eject. It's a solid workhorse at a great price. Oh, and the ambidextrous safety is great for when you have to shoot with your weak hand. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

I've heard the negative comments about Taurus too, but in my experience they're unfounded.

Dustin

imported post

I say the SA GI.

My cousin and I go to the rangeoften, he's got a "SA 1911 Loaded". Although it's a little more fancy than the GI, It's still a Springfield.

Personally I like the GI b/c of it's simplicity. It's also to me is the closest representation to the American Classic 1911.

Plus Springfield Armory makes awesome firearms, and their customer service is unmatched.

Also the Springfield Milspec's are very nice 1911's too.

Just google - "Springfield 1911" and then click on shopping.

Springfield GI 1911 - Haggle Price - $450 to $550 - http://www.google.com/products?q=Springfield+GI+1911&hl=en&show=dd

PW9108L.jpg

Springfield MilSpec 1911- Haggle Price - $500 to $575 - http://www.google.com/products?q=Springfield+Mil+Spec+1911&hl=en&show=dd

PB9108L.jpg

I can do this all day my friend. If your looking for a deal online, justlet me know. To see more Springfield Armory 1911's click here -
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?clicktype=1911

:)

Chaingun81

imported post

Thanks for all your input guys! Still, seems that the opinions split just right in the middle about one piece versus the other. 2 more questions. Is seems to me that all online places are also sold out as far as GI goes - any idea where you can actually find one and how often they hit the market? I remeber seeing one in my local store back in February, but i wasn't looking for a 1911 back then... I wish i just bought it back then, but i had no idea it's such a rare item. The other question is if i do expand my my search margins to say $900 - what other quality 1911's does it open up for me? Sorry for such a broad question, but it seems to me that there are more quality1911s than i can count and prices vary a lot but i don't always see what is difference and which one is the actual deal. Thanks!

Dustin

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
any idea where you can actually find one and how often they hit the market?
if i do expand my my search margins to say $900 - what other quality 1911's does it open up for me?

1: Here is several dozen Springfield 1911 GI's For Sale

http://www.google.com/products?q=Springfield+GI+1911&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en&show=dd

2: Springfield makes more than one model of the 1911. If you wanted to stay with Springfield that is.

The Springfield Loaded 1911's - $800 and Up Click Link for other prices - http://www.google.com/products?q=Springfield+Loaded+1911&hl=en&show=dd

16354.jpg

BTW, This 1911 above is my dream pistol :D

Prophet

imported post

As a Sprinfield GI .45 owner myself I have to echo the praise for both the weapon and the company that Dustin has given. I purchased my 1911 at a gun show for $388 a year or so ago. It was "used" but in truth it was more like pre-owned. It still had new gun smell (just kidding) and was in pristine condition. The yarn the dealer told me was he sold it to a guy who really couldn't afford it and only fired a few rounds through it and then sold it back. Lucky for me because i got a basically new weapon for nigh $200 off retail price.

I love the weapon and company so much I plan on getting the new XDM from springfield when they come out with it in a .45

Anyways, my suggestion to you is to go with the GI .45 if your heart is set on a 1911 and then check out a gun show or 2 and maybe you'll strike paydirt.

WhiteFeather

imported post

You may and I want to emphasize may find one for under $700 but that really depends on your region and the stores around you.

My recomendation is the SW1911 in either model.

You want to be convinced? Find a shop that sells them and pick one up. Ask them to field strip it so you can see the internal parts and I promise you that pistol will come home with you.

Enough said.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I really like the Rock Island Armory 1911s.

I have two of them, the GI and Tactical models. Worth every penny, and a great starter gun. Also, best customer service in the industry (no joke).

curtm1911

imported post

WOW GUYS, I guess I should weigh in here and say I own a SA 1911A1, old model,NM serial #I got several years ago as a project 1911. I have done some work on it and it is sweet, not for sale ever. I also own a Taurus PT 1911 w/ Heinie Night Sites, excellent firearm, hits point of aim and no problems ever in two years now. And Now I also own a SA G.I. Champion, no, not a purists 1911 but a fine firearm nonetheless. Found it used w/ Night sights(saved a few $$$ there) and I like them all. I put an ambi saftey on both SA's, I am a Lefty and I like them on my 1911's, and all run just fine.I carry the Champion most of the time, conceals a bit easier on me. Backed up by a Kel Tec P11 and I am good to go.

Lykosis

imported post

If your budget has increased to the $800 - $900 range, and your hand is big enough for a double stack .45, I would suggest a Para Ordnance P14.45. These retail around $900, and most gun shops that I have been to never sell a gun for the retail. In fact, they usually have them anywhere from $100 to $300 less than MSRP. For example, Academy (a sporting goods store in the Deep South) carries the Para Ordnance Big Hawg (like the P14, but with more stainless) for $799, but its MSRP is $929. The price drops more if you have a friend with an FFL that'll just charge you shipping and transfer (my case).

I have big hands and have never had a problem with my Para S14.45. Para makes some pretty sweet single stacks as well.

Concerning the SA, my brother has one that he uses as his main carry option. Accurate, never a failure in any way, and the price is hard to beat for the quality that you get.