• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Open Carry BBQ

GPossenti

imported post

I'm a newbie to the whole gun thing, and I would like to open carry, but to be quite hones, I'm a scaredy-cat. I think my biggest fear is being at a store without knowing it is within 1000 ft of a school and being arrested for it.

Anyways, maybe we could have an open-carry version of National Night Out. It would do me good to meet other open carriers in my area, and we'd make a big political deal out of it too!

We could notify all of the local ranges, gun shops, etc.

Any takers?

ScottyT

imported post

Where do you live?

Most states (that have active OC residents) usually have some sort of regular get together (picnics, dinners, shoots, etc). Here in Utah we have one once a month. Fill out your profile information, tell us a little more about yourself, get active on a local level.

You can use Google earth to help you see how far your regular haunts are from school zones, that should help with the fear of getting busted.

Be sure to study your state/local firearms laws over and over again -- knowledge is power!

Orygunner

imported post

Depending on your state, having a Concealed Handgun License (or whatever it's called in your state, if available) may exempt you from the federal 1000 yard school zone restriction.

Here in Oregon, it sure does. I have an Oregon CHL and here I can legally (by federal and state law) even Open Carry into a school if I wanted to (but I choose not to....yet).

...Welcome!...
...Orygunner...

Michigander

imported post

I've had the same idea and considered making a thread on it, but it doesn't seem like it would be incredibly feasible due to everyone having to fly in, thus having a harder time bringing guns. Plus, what would we do? Camp? Stay in Hotels? Have the meetup be somewhere remote where we could target shoot and camp and BBQ? Maybe flood a city and get on the national news again? Even with all that sorted out, the large expense of long distance travel will cause many not to attend. I mean, you can get creative and charter busses or something, but it will still be expensive and hard to do.

Although I don't know that it's feasible, I absolutely love the idea. We've been referred to as loosely knit, and I'd like it if the whole group of us became more closely knit by having a nation wide meet up, but the specifics of it are hard to figure out.

GPossenti

imported post

I don't think I made it clear.

National Night Out is where you and your neighbors have a BBQ, block off the street, get to know each other. Supposedly it cuts down on crime.

We could have the same thing where on May 5th, 2009, every city in the USA holds an open carry BBQ. So everyone in Dallas would go to an Open Carry BBQ in Dallas, (that one guy in San Francisco could go to someone else's). Everyone here in Bossier would have a BBQ. Everyone on the same night all over the country.

Is that better?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I'm all for a National OC BBQ. I'm working with members from Oregon and Idaho to do a tri-state OC meet here in the Northwest.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey GP,

Check out the Louisiana forum for a discussion of the state 1000 foot zone law. If a business or property owner gives you permission to be armed on their private property, the state Gun Free Zone law does not apply. Just be sure the business or property owner doesn't object.

John has posted elsewhere about constitutional questions about the federal version of this law.

And I like BBQ!

ETA: BTW, why'd you pick Cinco de Mayo; or was that just a random date?

Utah_Patriot

imported post

That sounds great maybe a national day for OC'ers lets do it I will file the press releases for Utah get some national reconizination maybe after texas gets allowed to carry openly that would be a great press coverage

Orygunner

imported post

Hold on now... We need to figure out a date, and I don't think May 5 '09 is such a great day for it.

1. It's already a holiday (Cinco de Mayo)
2. It's still spring, itmay rain on our BBQ (and rust our OC guns! ;) )
3. It's a Tuesday.

We should pick an early summer weekend day, like June 20/21 or 27/28 when there's nothing else really going on that weekend. Making it June 27 or 28 puts it at the weekend before July 4th,and a National OC Picnic would make a nice tie in to Independence Day (Liberty, Freedom, 2nd Amendment, etc.)...

However, that sure is an awful long time from now. Too bad nobody suggested it earlier THIS summer. Maybe if we get more good OC outings in the news before then, the public will warm up to the idea before our big "Coming Out Of The Closet With our Guns" picnic ;).

...And maybe Texas and a few other non-OC States can join us by then!...
...Orygunner...

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
We should pick an early summer weekend day, like June 20/21 or 27/28 when there's nothing else really going on that weekend. Making it June 27 or 28 puts it at the weekend before July 4th,and a National OC Picnic would make a nice tie in to Independence Day (Liberty, Freedom, 2nd Amendment, etc.)...

However, that sure is an awful long time from now. Too bad nobody suggested it earlier THIS summer.
I agree. If someone from each state will take the reins we can make this work esp. with the amount of time we currently have to plan. It also gives us plenty of time to find a credible news source in our local area to promote this when the time comes.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

June would kind of suck for Phoenix...

How about something like late September, early October time frame? That's generally pretty decent weather everywhere. Not the best in a lot of places, but rarely is there are actually bad weather anywhere at that time of year.

GPossenti

imported post

I thought it may elicit some funny responses. I don't celebrate it because I'm not Mexican and the event it celebrates wasn't in America. I'm American and I don't celebrate holidays of other countries, especially when those other countries have done us no favors.

I hate to break it to you, but Cinco de Mayo is a non-holiday right up there with Valentine's Day, and Halloween. I may make allowances for St. Patrick's Day because I'm Catholic, but I'm certainly not Irish.

Anyway, Phoenix has nothing on North Louisiana. Sure it's hot there, but at least it's a dry heat. ;)

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GPossenti wrote:
I thought it may elicit some funny responses. I don't celebrate it because I'm not Mexican and the event it celebrates wasn't in America. I'm American and I don't celebrate holidays of other countries, especially when those other countries have done us no favors.

I hate to break it to you, but Cinco de Mayo is a non-holiday right up there with Valentine's Day, and Halloween. I may make allowances for St. Patrick's Day because I'm Catholic, but I'm certainly not Irish.

Ah, the difference between North Louisiana and New Orleans raises it's head again - down here in New Orleans we never pass up an opportunity to party :lol:even though it's hot down here most of the time. Since you picked an Italian for your screen name, may I invite you to celebrate St. Joseph's day with us? The Italian-American Society throws a great party with the largest meatballs you've ever seen!

For the rest of the board, the National Open Carry BBQ is a great idea. The closest weekend to June 26 might be very appropraite (Heller).

GPossenti

imported post

I picked GPossenti because I am Catholic and Saint Gabriel Possenti is known as "The Gun Saint" and the patron saint of shooters.

http://www.possentisociety.com/

I'm a Native Texan and full blooded American. After that it doesn't really matter that my heritage is a mix of Scottish, English, Polish, and Czech heritage.

June would be a miserable month for a BBQ for anyone south of the MD line. We should go for mid-late September or Mid-late May.

I'd love to celebrate St. Joseph's day with you. He's the patron saint of good men.