• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to convince employer to allow carrying? Currently prohibited

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

xiphoris wrote:
Where do they get off thinking they can search your person?
They can't forcibly search your person. It's just that the employment contract states that employees will be terminated if they don't consent.

And they can't search your car even when on company property. How are they going to do that? ... How would they stop you from just driving away?
They wouldn't. But they would stop you from coming into work the next day and collecting a paycheck :)

It is their right, after all. Just like if someone brought a gun into your house without your permission, you could kick him out, so too can employers ask you to (i) not bring a gun (ii) consent to searches, or not work there anymore.

I just think it's the right thing to do for them to allow it.

Yes sir, I know that a company certainly can terminate an employee for any reason or no reason at all in an "employment at will" state (Virginia is one). My approach with my post was more along the lines of the legal aspects. Private companies have no policing power, so they cannot forcibly detain you. Sure, they can fire you.. so it's best not to advertise your choices.

jbone

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
"xiphoris like you I'm in the same situation"
Me too! can't carry towork on base, burns my ass. In the Armed Forces and can't be Armed. WTF?

gravedigger

imported post

Or THIS one!

GUN-FREEZONE1.jpg

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I did make progress at my company. Some of my security suggestions are going in effect and I got them to put up a "open" bulletin board to post anything. I now post on a weekly basis 10-15 of the Washington Gun Rights pamphlets. At first I thought they were being removed by some anti but I later found out folks are interested and I've had those folks stop by my table at lunch and ask me questions.

Washington Gun Rights Pamphlet:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/attachment.php?id=2014

gravedigger

imported post

Many years ago, I worked for a V.W. engine rebuilding company in Van Nuys that had a "NO GUNS EVER!" policy. One day for no particular reason, I brought the topic up at an employee meeting. This was back when I was 21, LONG before the "VA Tech" trend started. I just bought my first Colt .45 ACP because I could legally buy a gun now, and I was beginning to train at a local indoor range.

I brought the gun to work one day, UNLOADED, just to show my fellow workers ... and my boss. He told me, "Take that home NOW, and don't EVER let me see you with a gun here again! Bring it in tomorrow and you're FIRED!"

At the employee meeting, I told the "suits" that I thought it was a STUPID idea to demand that the work area remain "gun-free" and even MORE STUPID to publicly advertise that fact with his "You're SAFE Here!" sign depicting a pistol silhouette with the red circle and line across, in an effort to win over the public.

So time goes by, and something BAD happens to an order so that it is basically "FUBAR", and someone calls up and SCREAMS at the answering machine about how this has cost him so much, and how "somebody's gonna pay...". The boss wanted the employees to know that we had made some customer very unhappy, so he played the recording over the P.A. system so all of the employees could hear it.

(roughly quoted) "You f****** are gonna DIE! Me an' my home boys are gonna F you up and bust a cap in your a****! ..."

Upon hearing this, I calmly packed up my tools and placed them onto a cart. I was wheeling the cart to my V.W. van when my boss stopped me. "Where are YOU going?" he demanded. I told him I quit, and was going to look for another job. He walked alongside me trying to convince me to stay, because I was their fastest long block assembler and the company was under a deadline to deliver a large order. I told him, "Nope, not after hearing THAT recording! SEE YA!"

As I rolled my tools out to the van, a big, old thumping Chevy low rider rolled into the parking lot. Four ..er ... young men of obvious inner-city upbringing ... were in the car. My boss turned white as a ghost. I told him, "Oh, I wouldn't worry. It probably wasn't THEM that called." I left the company and never returned.

Fortunately nothing newsworthy happened, but even MY heart skipped a beat when that car pulled into the lot. Strangely, all I could think about was that I hadn't told anyone to give my gun to my best friend, Manuel.