• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I just shot another attacker

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Damn Copperheads are everywhere this year.

BTW, I shoot a lot more of these snakes than two legged ones. We all OC for different reasons.

copper1.jpg

copperhead2.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
What load did you use?
22lr snake shot.

This is at the burb house and anything louder spooks the soccer moms.

I loaded up some 38 spl light loads using a buck shot and it was almost silent and very accurate...but it bounced around so mucjh I was afraid to use it here. I have houses 250 feet away now:X

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
My question isn't WHAT did you shoot it with...but WHY did you shoot it?
It was on my back walk and I stepped on it. One of us was going west.
I generally don't shoot snakes unless they are too close to the house. This year I've had a bumper crop of Copperheads too close to the house.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

peter nap wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:
My question isn't WHAT did you shoot it with...but WHY did you shoot it?
It was on my back walk and I stepped on it. One of us was going west.
I generally don't shoot snakes unless they are too close to the house. This year I've had a bumper crop of Copperheads too close to the house.
I shot this one a couple of weeks ago in almost the same spot.

copperhead.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
you've got a nest on your property or your neighbors place.any stumps or large dead logs close by?
Lots!
I have 2 acres of yard and 8 acres of woods and 2 streams.
I have looked for a nest, just can't find it and it could be anywhere. My guess is a small section between my nearest neighbor and me. Lots of honeysuckle, Ivy but surprisingly, not many logs.

This seems to be the area they come from in the evening though.

The worst part about Copperheads is they will just lay there until you step on them or come close.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
need to import a couple of king snakes or black snakes.
That's not a bad idea. I might catch a blacksnake or two at the farm this weekend.

The real problem is people. I now have subdivisions all around me and everything is being driven into my woods.

I have to shoot at least two rabid coons every year and it's because I have every coon in the area, living by my streams.

To make it worse, my wife feeds them vanilla pudding when I'm not looking.

TexasNative

imported post

peter nap wrote:
To make it worse, my wife feeds them vanilla pudding when I'm not looking.
Well, I suppose you really shouldn't shoot her, as much as it might seem justified. ;)

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

They are certainly beautiful creatures - too bad they are venemous. I guess I have just been lucky that when I go for walks at night I haven't stepped on any of them on the paved walking path.

nova

imported post

When I go out through any woods or tall grass I make sure to wear my black leather boots and carry my .38 loaded with snake shot :)

mobeewan

imported post

I found Paint ball guns rapid fire work excelent on racoons. I use the same campground for my canoe trips every year. The Racoons are getting bolder every year. I usually take 2 canoe trips every May and use the same site. Last year we were chasing 3 of them away every 45 minutes during the night. This year on the first trip the first night we had one come in. Second and third nights we had more campers and they stayed away. On the second trip I brought a paintball gun. First night it rained. Second night I was told we were raided a couple times while sleeping. I asked why no one woke me up since they new I had brought my little friend to play with the Racoons. On the Third and finalnight one crawled up on a picnic table about 9:30 while everyone was sitting around the camp fire laughing and joking. I chased it away since the paintball gun was in my pop up trailer. I waited up after everyone had gone to bed with the paintball gun in my lap. After I went back to my pop up I was inside and heard pans falling to the ground. I came flying out of the pup and shined the light in the direction they usually come from and about 25 yards away I saw his eyes under a bush and fired him up with paint balls. I ran over to shoot again and saw him scurrying behind some tents. I ran around the tents to cut him off and fired him up again at about 20 feet while he was running up a trail. No more problems with the Racoons the rest of the night.

The funny thing is the next morning after I got up I found out from one of my friends that someone in a nearby camp site appologized for making noise during the night. Theyhad sat on their picnic table to tie a shoe to go to the outhouse and had tipped the table. The pans I heard was theirs hitting the ground. They thought I was shooting paintballs at them when I started firing at the Racoon. :what: