• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MouseGuns

BlaineG

imported post

I've always liked the .22 in nearly all it's configuations, except maybe semi-jam, er, auto:pIt's cheap to shoot. A fella can go out and plink all afternoon for 10 bucks, and if you're paying attention to technique, you are picking up valuable trigger control that you can apply to the rest of your weapons. Now, if you're gonna shoot a mouse gun, you had best practice a controled, accurate double tapto the head, and then plan to empty the rest into the poor misunderstood punk. I don't like the semi-auto .22, ie, the small pocket autos. I have a S&W 317 AirLite that is very slim, weighs 10oz empty and slips into almost any pocket un-noticed. It's golf ball accurate at self defense range and has been my grouse gun for years while big game hunting. I guess I just like J Frames in general. I still carry the 317 sometimes even though I have a nice 640-3 (J Frame, DAO, Stainless, .357) that will pump 180grain hardcast 9" into a doug fir round; perfect for almost anything you might run into in the woods, two or four footed. Anyone else like their small pocket revolvers? J Frames Rule:celebrate

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lol rib-tickler. :lol:

I think I'm going to buy my mom a .22 WMR revolver as a starter gun. It may not be up to our more "robust" self-defense standards, but I say pity the fool who tries to mess with her! :D

BlaineG

imported post

marshaul wrote:
lol rib-tickler. :lol:

I think I'm going to buy my mom a .22 WMR revolver as a starter gun. It may not be up to our more "robust" self-defense standards, but I say pity the fool who tries to mess with her! :D
I have a Single Six with boththe .22 and the .22 mag cyl. The difference is amazing between the regular and mag......I often think if I had to head out and go into survival mode, the Single Six would be the pistol I took along, along with a .22mag Winchester Lever. The one thing about that 317 I mentioned is a very hard double action pull.... A few monthes more, and I might be too old to use it that way:dude:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think much of the derision of the .22 magnum comes from people who don't own a gun chambered for it, see ".22" and just assume.

I have guns chambered for both .22LR and .22WMR. The first time I shot a varmit with the .22 mag (using JHP, no less) my initial reaction was something along the lines of :shock:.

You do NOT want to take a .22 mag to the chest. ;)

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a J-frame in .357mag and I love it. It has to be my favoriteof all my firearms. Really, I will go for hours forgetting I have it on me, it is just that lite, and I do not worry about anyone seeing it in my pocket. I have even taken that thing with me where gun are not allowed or where i think it would be inappropriate to be found with a gun like Chunky Cheese.

phoneguy

imported post

There is a gentlemen that rents 4 tables at the gun show in Monroe. He shared his experience of a small 22 derringer that fired from his pocket when he threw his jacket on a chair. The bullet hit him below the chest and the bullet travel 12" in his body.
The ER peeled him open like a banana to stop the internal bleeding. The bullet is still in him.
Its an experience to respect what a small caliber can do and cause so much pain.

just_a_car

imported post

One of our very own, expvideo, has recounted how he died and was revived from being shot by a small caliber pistol (.25acp, I believe, but I'm not 100% sure).

The fact that there are statistics for death from .22LR rounds speaks to shot placement over caliber. Now, I will take the largest caliber I can handle well when it comes to self defense, but with enough practice, whatever you choose will be effective.

compmanio365

imported post

I believe it is true that .22LR has killed more people on the face of this planet than any other round out there........is it the #1 defense round out there? Surely not.......but it is the cheapest, and easiest to practice with.......and sometimes that's all you got. Beats a rock or pointed stick any day of the week..........

Now with that, I need to find a .22 pistol............:p

Hammer

imported post

I have a MkII bull barrel Ruger that is a tack driver. It is a good deal more accurate than my skills. Not much of a carry gun, tho.
I have a Berretta Bobcat .22 that is as convenient as it gets. Easy to hide in a front pants pocket.
As has been said, the .22 doesn't strike fear in most, but it is deadly.

BlaineG

imported post

Hammer wrote:
I have a MkII bull barrel Ruger that is a tack driver. It is a good deal more accurate than my skills. Not much of a carry gun, tho.
I have a Berretta Bobcat .22 that is as convenient as it gets. Easy to hide in a front pants pocket.
I look at one of those Bobcatsevery time I go into Welcher's........have you had any cycling problems? Notably, stovepipes or failure to feed off the mag? I had one of the little T-22s for about a week that would jam about every other shot....gave itto someone.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I have personally taken two .22 rounds in my upper right thigh. Long story short I was in the woods and they fell out of the sky. One headed straight for the thigh bone and stopped. the other was about 1.5 inches lower and slipped between the artery and the bone. The doc said if it had nicked the artery I would have never made it out of the woods.
We all think of initial stopping power like the .45 but for all intended purposes that little .22 can kill just on the internal damage.

John Hardin

imported post

Noseguns! :D

It's far better than nothing (as the 80yo grandmother from a few days ago will attest).

Any caliber can be lethal. Just like realtors say: Location, location, location!

I would suspect numerous spy agencies do too.
Have you heard the story of (ummm) the OSS head demonstrating their silenced .22 to Roosevelt in the Oval Office?

Hammer

imported post

BlaineG wrote:
Hammer wrote:
I look at one of those Bobcatsevery time I go into Welcher's........have you had any cycling problems? Notably, stovepipes or failure to feed off the mag? I had one of the little T-22s for about a week that would jam about every other shot....gave itto someone.
That little gun has been very good about cycling all the time. Eats differing kinds of ammo, seems not to be finicky.
This is a model 21A
Is the model 22 a .25 ACP? If so, that would not be my choice....

Cremator75

imported post

The .22 is still better than nothing, but for the same size I carry a .380 in my pocket with Galser POW'RBall's.

066.gif

BlaineG

imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
The .22 is still better than nothing, but for the same size I carry a .380 in my pocket with Galser POW'RBall's.

066.gif
I've heard those will stomp a mud hole in your chest:cool: