• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question regarding locking up in school zones

poothrowingape

imported post

I have a taurus PT-92 AF. Anyone who owns one knows they come with a apecial alan wrench looking key that you can insert anto the handle of the gun and turn it thus rendering the them inopperable.

My question is... can this constitute as "locking" your gun while passing through a school zone?

it is visibly lock though im not sure how visible it needs to be to a LEO. The area where you put the key sticks out of the handle showing its locked. I have a pic below of the key and the area where you insert the key to lock it.

Decoligny

imported post

Nope. PC is pretty clear on what a locked CONTAINER is.

626.9.(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the possession of a firearm under any of the following circumstances:
(1) Within a place of residence or place of business or on private property, if the place of residence, place of business, or private property is not part of the school grounds and the possession of the firearm is otherwise lawful.
(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is IN A LOCKED CONTAINER or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in accordance with state law.

(e) (3) "Locked container" has the same meaning as that term is given in subdivision (c) of Section 12026.1.

12026.1 (c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar locking device.

poothrowingape

imported post

well Cato that link is very rich in information. Also since my question has been answered im going to pose a new one.

Im looking in my county's ordinances because we all have to follow thr rules of our counties and states....right?

but heres a link to my county, i dont seem to see any gun related areas? the only place i could think was health and safety however all there is there are food laws.

http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/fresno/

once again Cato nice link.

Decoligny

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
well Cato that link is very rich in information. Also since my question has been answered im going to pose a new one.

Im looking in my county's ordinances because we all have to follow thr rules of our counties and states....right?

but heres a link to my county, i dont seem to see any gun related areas? the only place i could think was health and safety however all there is there are food laws.

http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/fresno/

once again Cato nice link.

Try looking under Title 10: "Public Peace, Morals, and Welfare"

and then under Section VIII: "Weapons"

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

At the top there is a Search link. Just search with "firearm" as your keyword. You'll get all kinds of disturbing results. Before reading any of the search results, make sure you have the following items:
  • Map
  • Pencil
  • Straight Edge
  • Lunch
  • Fifth of hard liquor
ETA: in case it's not obvious... the lunch is for the long period of time you'll be working to map out the 'prohibted areas.' The booze is for once you give up and need to drink away the regret you'll have that you wasted all that time.

poothrowingape

imported post

wow im not even going to try to understand that nonsense they have on there. but the ordinances only aply to discharge of a firearm. I only plan on discharge of a firearm when its legal anyways i.e. preservation of life, andlimb.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
...but the ordinances only aply to discharge of a firearm. I only plan on discharge of a firearm when its legal anyways i.e. preservation of life, andlimb.
Right, but anywhere discharge of a firearm is prohibited, so is a loaded firearm...

12031(f):
As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.