• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A letter to Sheriff SteveBoyer, Kitsap County

just_a_car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Sounds like everyone comported themselves well, both OCDO members and LEOs in attendance. Once again, a story of non-event with LEO. I'm liking that we see more and more of these.
Well the LEOs did have to be paid off. We fed them.:lol:
Good GOD!!! Eating?!... At a Picnic!?!.... Quick! Call the... wait, is that the Sheriff with them?

thewise1

imported post

Really glad to hear it went well. I really want to come to one of these... one of these days when I'm not working :)

Trigger Dr

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
I have wondered though if the presence of the Deputy made folks think it was a Law Enforcement gathering.
Bill, the couple at the table next to us did tell me they thought it was a bunch of cops.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Ajetpilot,

There is a time requirement for them to respond, and if they do not within the specified time, they can be held liable.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
M1Gunr wrote:
I have wondered though if the presence of the Deputy made folks think it was a Law Enforcement gathering.
Bill, the couple at the table next to us did tell me they thought it was a bunch of cops.

Prolly didnt help to have two crown vics with antennas and comms equipt. sitting next to one of the entrances,heh.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
On August 8, I submitted the attached FOIA request to the County Prosecutor. As soon as I get a reply, I will share it here. I want to get copies of the Prosecutor's Office memos on the subject of OC, and firearms in County Parks, thatare mentioned in the email. With that information in my hand, I will again approach the County Commissioners about changing the Parks Code.

Here is the reply I received yesterday. It appears to be a form letter reply and a delaying tactic:

August 22, 2008

Greetings-

On August 11, 2008, this office received your request for information under the Public Records Act, RCW 42.56, and/or Criminal Records Privacy Act, RCW 10.97. Your request will be reviewed and a disclosure determination made within 30 days of today's date.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact this office.

Sincerely yours,

RUSSELL D. HAUGE

Prosecuting Attorney

/s/

CLAIR A. BRADLEY, WSBA NO. 27078

Deputy Prosecuting Attorney

Iron Monger

imported post

Ajetpilot,

Wow!

This is turning into a very effective strategy for your efforts with the county commissioners in getting the signs at the parks corrected.

I can hardly wait to see the looks on their faces when you make your next presentation with all the available FOIA memos you will have from the other county offices in support of your position.

Looks like steady progress towards your goal to get them to obey the law and correctly post the signs.

Nice work!

Ajetpilot

imported post

And, if we get Tim Matthes elected to the Board of Commissioners, we may see the illegal "No Firearms" sign on the admin building disappear soon after he takes office. He was the top vote getter in the primary.

County Commissioner Dist 2
64/64 100.00%
Vote Count Percent
- Charlotte Garrido 5,863 32.07%
- Monty Mahan 3,593 19.65%
- Tim Matthes 7,935 43.41%
- Paul Nuchims 866 4.74%
write-in 24 0.13%
Total 18,281 100.00%

ETA: Everyone attending the Kitsap OC event in July had a chance to meet him.

jbone

imported post

Iron Monger wrote:
He described what had happened to my son, and as he called 911.yelled at the kids to get back inside and warned others of the danger.

a number of the neighbors had come outside to see what the excitement was about, and one of them was upset my son had the shotgun!

He explained there was no time to wait for police or animal control as it was a real threat that required immediate response. The neighbor then called police to report man with a gun!

An officer arrived in about 10 minutes- NOT to respond to the first 911 call regarding the wild animal attack, but to the MWG call. He told my son that it was a good thing he did not see him with the shotgun as he would have had to arrest him for causing alarm to the neighbor,
Why does this part of the storywith neighbor and LEO just really piss me off! What in god’s name were the neighbor and cop thinking?What happened to the wild animal 911 call? Can they not add 1+1+1 (wild animal, man with gun protecting kids, same location).together with out making it higher math? My god!! What an insult to those protecting the kids. It took 10 minutes for the man with gun response; it may have taken longer for the wild animal call, kids on ground bleeding now.

Officer I could have done something but last time you responded you said you would arrest me! Someone needs to have a talk with that Police Chief.

j2l3

imported post

Iron Monger wrote:
He told my son that it was a good thing he did not see him with the shotgun as he would have had to arrest him for causing alarm to the neighbor, but, in this case he determined no harm, no foul.
There is no statute allowing an arrest for "causing" alarm.

Also, Washington State has only ONE mandatory arrest crime and carrying a weapon isn't it. Domestic Violence IS. Any officer who tells you he HAS to arrest you for something like this is full of BS.

Iron Monger

imported post

Tim came out to our monthlymeeting at the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club, gave a short and sweetcampaign speech,and was very well received.

He speaks for a lot of us as to our rights and responsibilities as citizens, and he walks the walk as President of the KAPO- Kitsap Alliance of Property Owners. They are always there at the county and city meetings to make sure all of our interests are protected from overzealous"public servants"that think they know better than the rest of us when it comes to the "proper" use of our land.

He is also a member of the board of equalization, and hears citizens appeals of taxes on their property. The thing that he said that showed me he was the guy to put in as our commissioner was his statement - "I ALWAYS try to find in favor of the property owner if at all possible." Ya gotta like that kind of of attitude in someone running for public office!

He stands for individual rights, property rights, less government regulation, and for all government agencies to follow the law and our Constitution.

And, to add to all of that, he is a gun guy, so we will be wellrepresented when questions come up in front of the county commissioners as to new and existingshooting ranges for ordinances and regulations.

He knows how important it is for a community to have safe places to shoot, and will be able to address questions and concerns from the public as well as other elected officals because of his personal experience and knowledge.

He is an honest guy that wants to do what is right and just.

He sure got my vote!

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Iron Monger wrote:
He told my son that it was a good thing he did not see him with the shotgun as he would have had to arrest him for causing alarm to the neighbor, but, in this case he determined no harm, no foul.
There is no statute allowing an arrest for "causing" alarm.

Also, Washington State has only ONE mandatory arrest crime and carrying a weapon isn't it. Domestic Violence IS. Any officer who tells you he HAS to arrest you for something like this is full of BS.
He's right. There's a difference between causing alarm and warranting alarm. Your son may have "caused alarm", but does it count as "warranting alarm" under the law? I don't think so, as he wasn't acting in a criminal or threatening manner.