Thread: Laws/Ordinances in Ferrum, VA?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Greetings, folks!

In November, I'll be heading out to Ferrum, VA for an ACJA Regional Conference (American Criminal Justice Association). As part of the conference, they'll be holding a firearms competition. Along with another faculty, I'll be taking some of the students to the range to give them some basic safety training and shooting instruction, as well as going over the course of fire.

In addition to this, I wanted to brief any who were interested in actually carrying while at the conference on any local laws or ordinances, so a few questions:

1. What's the minimum age for possession of a handgun in VA?
    2. Are there any local ordinances in this area or state law oddities that we should be made aware of?
    3. I know that, in an establishment that serves alcohol, a person must open carry -- any other restrictions in this manner or locations where people cannot carry?
    4. Any other general tips or advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

Post imported post

Check out this link: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/3356.html

You have to be 18 to open carry a firearm in VA. You can be younger with adult supervision going to/from shooting event, but that's a little more complicated.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

In addition to what eyesopened said:

The VCDL newsletter has a handy clip-out "where it's legal to carry" card in each issue; see the link to the .pdf file at http://www.vcdl.org, then click newsletters.

Also recommend you check http://www.handgunlaw.us for information. To try to tell you everything you need to know in a post would be duplicative.

In general, though, we have complete preemption in Virginia, so no localities have (enforceable) asinine restrictions designed to make you a criminal when you visit. The laws are the same throughout the state.

Hope this helps.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Wynder wrote:
    Greetings, folks!

In November, I'll be heading out to Ferrum, VA for an ACJA Regional Conference (American Criminal Justice Association). As part of the conference, they'll be holding a firearms competition. Along with another faculty, I'll be taking some of the students to the range to give them some basic safety training and shooting instruction, as well as going over the course of fire.

In addition to this, I wanted to brief any who were interested in actually carrying while at the conference on any local laws or ordinances, so a few questions:
    1. What's the minimum age for possession of a handgun in VA?
    2. Are there any local ordinances in this area or state law oddities that we should be made aware of?
    3. I know that, in an establishment that serves alcohol, a person must open carry -- any other restrictions in this manner or locations where people cannot carry?
    4. Any other general tips or advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    You shouldn't have to worry about any local ordinances thanks to VA's preemption law.