• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Laws/Ordinances in Ferrum, VA?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Greetings, folks!

In November, I'll be heading out to Ferrum, VA for an ACJA Regional Conference (American Criminal Justice Association). As part of the conference, they'll be holding a firearms competition. Along with another faculty, I'll be taking some of the students to the range to give them some basic safety training and shooting instruction, as well as going over the course of fire.

In addition to this, I wanted to brief any who were interested in actually carrying while at the conference on any local laws or ordinances, so a few questions:

1. What's the minimum age for possession of a handgun in VA?
  2. Are there any local ordinances in this area or state law oddities that we should be made aware of?
  3. I know that, in an establishment that serves alcohol, a person must open carry -- any other restrictions in this manner or locations where people cannot carry?
  4. Any other general tips or advice would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In addition to what eyesopened said:

The VCDL newsletter has a handy clip-out "where it's legal to carry" card in each issue; see the link to the .pdf file at http://www.vcdl.org, then click newsletters.

Also recommend you check http://www.handgunlaw.us for information. To try to tell you everything you need to know in a post would be duplicative.

In general, though, we have complete preemption in Virginia, so no localities have (enforceable) asinine restrictions designed to make you a criminal when you visit. The laws are the same throughout the state.

Hope this helps.

soloban

imported post

Wynder wrote:
Greetings, folks!

In November, I'll be heading out to Ferrum, VA for an ACJA Regional Conference (American Criminal Justice Association). As part of the conference, they'll be holding a firearms competition. Along with another faculty, I'll be taking some of the students to the range to give them some basic safety training and shooting instruction, as well as going over the course of fire.

In addition to this, I wanted to brief any who were interested in actually carrying while at the conference on any local laws or ordinances, so a few questions:
  1. What's the minimum age for possession of a handgun in VA?
  2. Are there any local ordinances in this area or state law oddities that we should be made aware of?
  3. I know that, in an establishment that serves alcohol, a person must open carry -- any other restrictions in this manner or locations where people cannot carry?
  4. Any other general tips or advice would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
You shouldn't have to worry about any local ordinances thanks to VA's preemption law.