• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No CCW permit but still carry 'religiously'?

Ebeye

imported post

There are some number here who are dyed-in-the-wool carriers but often use their CCW to avoid particular personal or social situations. Certainly the choice to obtain a CCW proffers more carry options in todays world, but I figured that some number here might be "regulars" without a CCW to opt out of sight with.

FWIW, I myself choose not to obtain a CCW due to personal philosophy ("What part of 'infringed' don't you understand to turn and license the essential human right of all free men to defend themselves into a 'priviledge'?")

xmirage2kx

imported post

Thereare a few people who don't have a permit on this site, but having the option to carry loaded, not having to worry about schools or cars, and interstate travel, being able to conceal (in addition to some other things) make getting a permit a wise choice. Obeying laws means a lot to me, even if they are stupid, and for me to conduct my daily business legally with a guna permit is a must.

If you can manage without a permit more power to you. IMHO the only gun laws should be crimes committed with a gun, but sadly we don't live in that world.

schwarzi88

imported post

the more i try to get my friends to OC the more i realize that its a pain in the @$$ without a permit .... so my sug. is always get ur permit and wait 3 months !

scorpioajr

imported post

schwarzi88 wrote:
the more i try to get my friends to OC the more i realize that its a pain in the @$$ without a permit .... so my sug. is always get ur permit and wait 3 months !

yea, my bud got so tired of having to go to his trunk and lock and unlock his Walther, he finally just gave up on OCing until the and his wife can get the permit. his WIFE, however, freakin' LOVES to OC now and says she states that she has no problems following the permit-less rules.

I guess she figured her life was more important than the inconvenience of walking to and from the trunk.

mazellan819

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
schwarzi88 wrote:

yea, my bud got so tired of having to go to his trunk and lock and unlock his Walther, he finally just gave up on OCing until the and his wife can get the permit. his WIFE, however, freakin' LOVES to OC now and says she states that she has no problems following the permit-less rules.

I guess she figured her life was more important than the inconvenience of walking to and from the trunk.

This I don't understand! Why was his gun in his trunk? There is no requirement for this in utah law. Also there is a myth in CA that you have to lock your gun in the trunk and have the ammo in the front of the car. He could have had It locked in a case on his lap. Or better yet sitting on the dash. If you are going to carry, permit or no permit, know the laws!!!

Edit: Sorry I realized after I posted this it seemed a little harsh. I am not intending to be rude to anyone just voicing my opinion.

scorpioajr

imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
schwarzi88 wrote:

...If you are going to carry, permit or no permit, know the laws!!!
Care to clarify?

scorpioajr

imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
Clarify what?
Well, perhaps for those who lurk the thread would like correct information for permit-less holders concerning transport, codes, etc? You provided much criticism, but no correction. :? i'd be interested in being corrected so that i don't spread false information.

mazellan819

imported post

I am sure with the little search box a lurker could go and retrieve many threads explaining utah laws. It has been discussed on this forum many times.

But since your are "calling me out" Here you go:

76-10-501. Definitions. (.... denotes omitted laws not relating to weapons)
(2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.
(b) A dangerous weapon shall not be considered a concealed dangerous weapon if it is a firearm which is unloaded and is securely encased.
(15) "Readily accessible for immediate use" means that a firearm or other dangerous weapon is carried on the person or within such close proximity and in such a manner that it can be
retrieved and used as readily as if carried on the person.
(18) "Securely encased" means not readily accessible for immediate use, such as held in a gun rack, or in a closed case or container, whether or not locked, or in a trunk or other storage area of a motor vehicle, not including a glove box or console box.

mazellan819

imported post

Not to forget

76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.

(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.

Amended by Chapter 328, 1990 General Session

mazellan819

imported post

and

76-10-504. Carrying concealed dangerous weapon -- Penalties.

(1) Except as provided in Section 76-10-503 and in Subsections (2) and (3):
(a) a person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon, as defined in Section 76-10-501, which is not a firearm on his person or one that is readily accessible for immediate use which is not securely encased, as defined in this part, in a place other than his residence, property, or business under his control is guilty of a class B misdemeanor; and
(b) a person without a valid concealed firearm permit who carries a concealed dangerous weapon which is a firearm and that contains no ammunition is guilty of a class B misdemeanor, but if the firearm contains ammunition the person is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
(2) A person who carries concealed a sawed-off shotgun or a sawed-off rifle is guilty of a second degree felony.
(3) If the concealed firearm is used in the commission of a violent felony as defined in Section 76-3-203.5, and the person is a party to the offense, the person is guilty of a second degree felony.
(4) Nothing in Subsection (1) shall prohibit a person engaged in the lawful taking of protected or unprotected wildlife as defined in Title 23, Wildlife Resources Code, from carrying a concealed weapon or a concealed firearm with a barrel length of four inches or greater as long as the taking of wildlife does not occur:
(a) within the limits of a municipality in violation of that municipality's ordinances; or
(b) upon the highways of the state as defined in Section 41-6a-102.

Amended by Chapter 2, 2005 General Session

b1ack5mith

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
schwarzi88 wrote:

trunk....??? i dont have a permit... i keep it OPEN on my front seat or dashboard... why would he put it in his trunk lmao...

scorpioajr

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
schwarzi88 wrote:

trunk....??? i dont have a permit... i keep it OPEN on my front seat or dashboard... why would he put it in his trunk lmao...
Specifically, it was in the trunk b/c it was easier than taking his entire holster off, double retention similar to the SERPA. he bought his gun 2nd hand without a manufacturer case. Contrary to popular belief, these are hard times financially and he was unable to secure an after market case. (as to meet the guidelines of being not readily available). I nor he didn't think he would be in the confines of the law if it was UN HOLSTERED on the seat. On the dash, was not an option b/c of sliding. So, He did the next best thing... lock it in the trunk.

So to re-cap:

Too much fiddling with the holster + no permit + no manufacturer case = TRUNK.

i was actually proud of him, i see i was wrong?? geez.

i wont even bring up the fact that no permit in a school zone issue. the damn thing needs to be under lock and key:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > §921 Definitions

(34) The term “secure gun storage or safety device” means—
(A) a device that, when installed on a firearm, is designed to prevent the firearm from being operated without first deactivating the device;
(B) a device incorporated into the design of the firearm that is designed to prevent the operation of the firearm by anyone not having access to the device; or
(C) a safe, gun safe, gun case, lock box, or other device that is designed to be or can be used to store a firearm and that is designed to be unlocked only by means of a key, a combination, or other similar means.

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > §922 Unlawful Acts

(2) (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a [highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]school[/highlight] [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]zone[/highlight].
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of [highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]school[/highlight] grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the [highlight= rgb(255, 255, 136);]school[/highlight] [highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);]zone[/highlight] is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

mazellan819

imported post

I know cal ranch sells cheap cases. I believe I paid $7 for mine. It holds two full sized pistols. Only down side it takes two locks to completely lock. You can remove the pistol from it with only removing one lock though.