Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: genesse county parks

Post imported post

any body know if we can o.c called them they said they would have someone call me back yea right

Post imported post

ruger45 wrote:
    any body know if we can o.c called them they said they would have someone call me back yea right
    Even if they have a local ordinance prohibiting such a thing, it would be unenforceable due to Michigans Preemtion Law.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Post imported post

but are they privetly owned and can they make rules

Post imported post

I guess I dont see how a County park is privately owned. I guess more information about who owns what will make a big difference.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

If property is private and not run by a local unit of government then preemption doesn't apply. Private property can prohibit almost anything within the law. If the private property is open to the public they can prohibit most things not covered by discrimination, i.e. race, sex, etc. Guns are not protected under these laws in regards to private property.

Firearms are protected under the preemption law in regards to public property as operated, owned or controlled by local units of government.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

o.k i just tlked to a ranger it is owned by genesse county but their rules say no fire arms and i asked him about preemtion law that state law over rides it he said what ever law is applied is the one that is inforcible and i will go for a ride any one have a veiw it is owned by genesse county

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    property is private

Does anyone know if these parks are privately owned?

Post imported post

the ranger said it is owned by genesse county

Post imported post

ruger45 wrote:
    o.k i just tlked to a ranger it is owned by genesse county but their rules say no fire arms and i asked him about preemtion law that state law over rides it he said what ever law is applied is the one that is inforcible and i will go for a ride any one have a veiw it is owned by genesse county
    THE RANGER IS WRONG. Preemption covers parks that are owned by local governments PERIOD. As you know arrests can and have been made, I just don't know of any convictions in this regards. Grand Haven being the most recent.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Sounds like another LEO just trying to scare people from their rights. I'd OC there and not worry about a thing.

Post imported post

You "should' have learned a lesson on Saturday the 16th. Apply what you learned, saw, participated in and you will see the light.

(hint: It is NO different than that park you were in on Saturday. Warren has these SAME ordinances. The park we were in, IS a city park. NO different than a county park in regards to firearms ordinances. Due to Michigans pre-emption, the ordinances in either place are UN-enforceable. Just like calling Warren and asking a LEO "can i do this?", the ranger is either uneducated, OR flat out lied to you. I didn't see anyone go to jail saturday, did you?)

Post imported post

would any body be willing to email them the leo pack

Post imported post

ruger45 wrote:
    Download it off the info thread and email it yourself. You saw what didn't happen at Warren.

Post imported post

you are right nothing happened maybe we should have a picnic they got grills and fishing

Post imported post

ruger45 wrote:
    Email is ok i guess. MY preferred method is registerd mail.

Post imported post

i will run it over their its not that far away i am sure it wont get looked threw

Post imported post

ruger45 wrote:
    i will run it over their its not that far away i am sure it wont get looked threw
    I would either email it or send it by certified mail, or both. Preferrably both. I wouldnt just take it over there.

Post imported post

email is sent

Post imported post

my wife is faxing it to their office i only asked for help cause i am new to email stuff and did not know how to do all that stuff but my wife kindly helped me out thank you tucker for your help

Post imported post

I have worked with the Genesee County parks for the last year. And got them to recognized the preemption law. They rewrote their rules and regs this year to express that change. The Ranger or cop only has to read the book.

Web site
    http://tinyurl.com/5q5lr2

Park rules

Section XXV – Firearms
    For purposes of these rules, the term “firearm” shall
    include any revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, air rifle, air
    gun, water gun, slingshot, BB gun or any gun, rifle,
    firearm or bow or other device which is designed to
    discharge projectiles or are models or facsimiles of
    these devices, which appear to be capable of doing so.
    No person shall possess or control any firearm (except
    those as permitted by MCL 28.421 et seq) upon
    properties administered by or under the jurisdiction of
    the Commission
    , except by prior written permission of
    the Commission or as allowed by the Commission
    from time to time in designated areas.
    No person shall discharge any firearm upon property
    administered by or under the jurisdiction of the
    Commission except by prior written permission of the
    Commission or as allowed by the Commission from
    time to time in designated areas.
    This section shall not apply to any law enforcement
    officer acting in the course of his/her official duties.

The red that means us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just talked with Officer Mike Fioucci at the Park ranger station.
    21 Aug 2008 1:30 PM ( Today)

He assured me that CPL/CCW and open carry are perfectly legal in all Genesee parks. As expressed in the parks rules and regs.

I asked that he or the chief refresh their officers about CPL/CCW is legal in all of the parks.

One may be stopped if they get a citizen's report of gun carry. Or checked about hunting. ie no hunting permitted .

If you have any other questions PM me.

Gordon

The use of force is a last resort. One aspect of violence is that it is unpredictable. Although your initial intention may be to use limited force, once you have engaged in violence the consequences are unpredictable. Violence always brings about unexpected results and almost always provokes retaliation.

Dalai Lama

http://www.generalnewsgroup.com/

Post imported post

LaVere wrote:
    I have worked with the Genesee County parks for the last year. And got them to recognized the preemption law. They rewrote their rules and regs this year to express that change. The Ranger or cop only has to read the book.

http://tinyurl.com/5q5lr2 Park rules

Section XXV – Firearms
    the Commission

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. I read the same rule, but didnt have time to look up the michigan law that it reflected.

Post imported post

ruger45 wrote:
    my wife is faxing it to their office i only asked for help cause i am new to email stuff and did not know how to do all that stuff but my wife kindly helped me out thank you tucker for your help
    no problem! "secretary MrsRuger45" here to help!!

Maybe one day I'll teach ruger45 how to e-mail & such, but then we fight over the laptop & someone has to be confined to the other room with the desktop computer. I guess we'll just have to buy a 2nd laptop, eh? :shock:

Post imported post

thanks every one for the help i talked to art feild he assured me it is liggel and fine to o.c and if i have any problems have the leo call th cheif

Post imported post

LaVere wrote:

Web site
    http://tinyurl.com/5q5lr2

Park rules

Section XXV – Firearms
    the Commission

I just talked with Officer Mike Fioucci at the Park ranger station.
    21 Aug 2008 1:30 PM ( Today)

He assured me that CPL/CCW and open carry are perfectly legal in all Genesee parks. As expressed in the parks rules and regs.

I asked that he or the chief refresh their officers about CPL/CCW is legal in all of the parks.

One may be stopped if they get a citizen's report of gun carry. Or checked about hunting. ie no hunting permitted .

If you have any other questions PM me.

Gordon

The red part, does that include a person that does not have a CPL? If it doesn't then it is still illegal. The preemption covers anybody that can lawfully own a handgun and is carrying said gun in a lawful manner or for a lawful purpose. A hollow victory if one at all. Get them to take out all firearm bans. Illegalfirearm possession is already covered by state law.

28.421 Definitions.

Sec. 1.

As used in this act:

(a) “Felony” means that term as defined in section 1 of chapter I of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 761.1, or a violation of a law of the United States or another state that is designated as a felony or that is punishable by death or by imprisonment for more than 1 year.

(b) “Firearm” means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BB's not exceeding .177 caliber.

(c) “Misdemeanor” means a violation of a penal law of this state or violation of a local ordinance substantially corresponding to a violation of a penal law of this state that is not a felony or a violation of an order, rule, or regulation of a state agency that is punishable by imprisonment or a fine that is not a civil fine, or both.

(d) “Peace officer” means, except as otherwise provided in this act, an individual who is employed as a law enforcement officer, as that term is defined under section 2 of the commission on law enforcement standards act, 1965 PA 203, MCL 28.602, by this state or another state, a political subdivision of this state or another state, or the United States, and who is required to carry a firearm in the course of his or her duties as a law enforcement officer.

(e) “Pistol” means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.

(f) “Purchaser” means a person who receives a pistol from another person by purchase or gift.

(g) “Reserve peace officer”, “auxiliary officer”, or “reserve officer” means, except as otherwise provided in this act, an individual authorized on a voluntary or irregular basis by a duly authorized police agency of this state or a political subdivision of this state to act as a law enforcement officer, who is responsible for the preservation of the peace, the prevention and detection of crime, and the enforcement of the general criminal laws of this state, and who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this act.

(h) “Retired police officer” or “retired law enforcement officer” means an individual who was a certified police officer or certified law enforcement officer as those terms are defined under section 2(k) of the commission on the law enforcement standards act, 1965 PA 203, MCL 28.602, and retired in good standing from his or her employment as a police officer or law enforcement officer.

(i) “Seller” means a person who sells or gives a pistol to another person.

Post imported post

leo art field said we would be fine no matter what and they in the process of putting it in the rules but it takes time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast