• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

genesse county parks

Tucker6900

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
any body know if we can o.c called them they said they would have someone call me back yea right
Even if they have a local ordinance prohibiting such a thing, it would be unenforceable due to Michigans Preemtion Law.

Tucker6900

imported post

I guess I dont see how a County park is privately owned. I guess more information about who owns what will make a big difference.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

If property is private and not run by a local unit of government then preemption doesn't apply. Private property can prohibit almost anything within the law. If the private property is open to the public they can prohibit most things not covered by discrimination, i.e. race, sex, etc. Guns are not protected under these laws in regards to private property.

Firearms are protected under the preemption law in regards to public property as operated, owned or controlled by local units of government.

ruger45

imported post

o.k i just tlked to a ranger it is owned by genesse county but their rules say no fire arms and i asked him about preemtion law that state law over rides it he said what ever law is applied is the one that is inforcible and i will go for a ride any one have a veiw it is owned by genesse county

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ruger45 wrote:
o.k i just tlked to a ranger it is owned by genesse county but their rules say no fire arms and i asked him about preemtion law that state law over rides it he said what ever law is applied is the one that is inforcible and i will go for a ride any one have a veiw it is owned by genesse county
THE RANGER IS WRONG. Preemption covers parks that are owned by local governments PERIOD. As you know arrests can and have been made, I just don't know of any convictions in this regards. Grand Haven being the most recent.

warlockmatized

imported post

You "should' have learned a lesson on Saturday the 16th. Apply what you learned, saw, participated in and you will see the light.

(hint: It is NO different than that park you were in on Saturday. Warren has these SAME ordinances. The park we were in, IS a city park. NO different than a county park in regards to firearms ordinances. Due to Michigans pre-emption, the ordinances in either place are UN-enforceable. Just like calling Warren and asking a LEO "can i do this?", the ranger is either uneducated, OR flat out lied to you. I didn't see anyone go to jail saturday, did you?)

Tucker6900

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
i will run it over their its not that far away i am sure it wont get looked threw
I would either email it or send it by certified mail, or both. Preferrably both. I wouldnt just take it over there.

ruger45

imported post

my wife is faxing it to their office i only asked for help cause i am new to email stuff and did not know how to do all that stuff but my wife kindly helped me out thank you tucker for your help

LaVere

imported post

I have worked with the Genesee County parks for the last year. And got them to recognized the preemption law. They rewrote their rules and regs this year to express that change. The Ranger or cop only has to read the book.

Web site
http://tinyurl.com/5q5lr2

Park rules

Section XXV – Firearms
For purposes of these rules, the term “firearm” shall
include any revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, air rifle, air
gun, water gun, slingshot, BB gun or any gun, rifle,
firearm or bow or other device which is designed to
discharge projectiles or are models or facsimiles of
these devices, which appear to be capable of doing so.
No person shall possess or control any firearm (except
those as permitted by MCL 28.421 et seq) upon
properties administered by or under the jurisdiction of
the Commission
, except by prior written permission of
the Commission or as allowed by the Commission
from time to time in designated areas.
No person shall discharge any firearm upon property
administered by or under the jurisdiction of the
Commission except by prior written permission of the
Commission or as allowed by the Commission from
time to time in designated areas.
This section shall not apply to any law enforcement
officer acting in the course of his/her official duties.

The red that means us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just talked with Officer Mike Fioucci at the Park ranger station.
21 Aug 2008 1:30 PM ( Today)

He assured me that CPL/CCW and open carry are perfectly legal in all Genesee parks. As expressed in the parks rules and regs.

I asked that he or the chief refresh their officers about CPL/CCW is legal in all of the parks.

One may be stopped if they get a citizen's report of gun carry. Or checked about hunting. ie no hunting permitted .

If you have any other questions PM me.

Gordon