• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol Match at Mission Essential - Hinesville

Samuel Adams

imported post

WHERE: Mission Essential, Inc.,
918B Hollywood Dr. Hinesville, GA.

WHEN: Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 1800.

ENTRY FEE: $15 per shooter, includes range fee and targets. Handgun rentals and ammunition purchases are available.

FOR INFORMATION: Call 912-408-2006 or email missionessential@hotmail.com or brothers@coastalnow.net.

This shoot will feature some defensive scenarios. Caliber will not be an issue, however each scenario will be timed. Use a full sized pistol or revolver, bug gun, or rimfire. The match would be more realistic if shooters would use their carry weapons.

officerjdc

imported post

I may be able to make this match after all. A man I work with asked me to work for him on Sunday so he could attend church with his familyand offered to work for me on any of my days this week in returnso I said Thursday. We signed the request for the trade and turned it in on Friday, and if it's approved I'll be off Thursday and be able to make the match! He told me the lieutenant didn't seem to have a problem with the trade when he handed the request form in.

officerjdc

imported post

I've been inviting coworkers, but so far no takers. One man said he was coming for the most recent bowling pin match with his .50 AE Desert Eagle, but he didn't show up. I figured he and the guy with the .454 Casull would have been an interesting matchup.....LOL

In the cases of some of our weaker shooters I even offered to let them use one ofmy weapons so they wouldn't have to rent one. I still haven't had any luck getting any of them competing.

Samuel Adams

imported post

officerjdc wrote:
I've been inviting coworkers, but so far no takers. One man said he was coming for the most recent bowling pin match with his .50 AE Desert Eagle, but he didn't show up. I figured he and the guy with the .454 Casull would have been an interesting matchup.....LOL

In the cases of some of our weaker shooters I even offered to let them use one ofmy weapons so they wouldn't have to rent one. I still haven't had any luck getting any of them competing.
And to think thatthese people are guarding a military installation. :banghead:

officerjdc

imported post

I try to get coworkers to go to the range with me and practice. When the contract changed companies and we switched from Glocks to BerettasIboughtthat Taurus PT92 I shot at the first bowling pin match specifically so I would have something similar to the Beretta 92 wecarry nowto practice with on my own, and I try to get ourpeople and especially weaker shooters to go to the range with me. Most of the ones who do go only want to go once or twice when they see their names on a list as being scheduled for a weapon qualification. Then once they pass the range I can't get them to goback until theyare duefor qualifications again six months later.At that pointthey usuallystartcalling me toask me when I can get them on the range to practice.

I wish ourpeople would take their shooting more seriously and practice regularly. I'm probably the most serious officer we haveon the force about that. I have been practicing regularly since I started working there, and when the matches at Mission Essential started I saw those as another way for me to push myself to be a better all around shooter. That's why I want to get out there and compete. I figure that will help me if I ever have to use a weapon for self defense away from workor on the gatesas well ashelping me do better in weapon qualifications.

I hate to say this, but it would probably take one of us being involved in a shooting incident on the gatesto get the majority of our people to wake up and realize just how serious our job can be. Most of our people act likeit's justa regular 9 to 5 job and don't think about the potential danger.

officerjdc

imported post

I have mentioned the prizes, but most of our people don't believe they can shoot well enough to win anything. A lot of themonlycare aboutthe guns because we're paid more for carrying them and would gladly work the gates unarmed if they could still be paid the same. Those are the people I know will be trying to hide behind me if we ever have shots fired at the gate and won't even think about trying to draw their weapons.

I confirmed with my lieutenantthat the trade was approved. I'm looking forward to the match tonight. Are we using paper targets for this one?