• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle Municiple Building - no gun policy

xiphoris

imported post

Today I happened to have business in the Seattle Municiple Building (I think that's what it's called -- the tower with a slanty top just north of the Columbia Tower). I asked and was told by security at their front desk told me that they disallow guns in the building. I asked if it was a publicly owned building and they responded in the affirmative.

Is this a legitimate carrying ban or a violation of pre-emption?

Bear 45/70

imported post

xiphoris wrote:
Today I happened to have business in the Seattle Municiple Building (I think that's what it's called -- the tower with a slanty top just north of the Columbia Tower). I asked security at the front desk about their gun policy and was told that no guns are allowed in the building. I also asked if it was a publicly owned building and they responded in the affirmative.

Only if there are courts held in the building or a jail and then only certain parts would be off limits. Otherwise once again the City of Seattle cheats, like most governments do.

BlaineG

imported post

Mayor Knuckles still thinks his silly "decree" of no guns on city property holds water.....It's been a couple monthes, I wonder why no one has challanged this one; it's cut and dried illegal for him to do that.....

xiphoris

imported post

That's what I suspected. It does not have those things inside it AFAIK -- it has plenty of regular businesses like gyms.

Alright, I am going to contact the building administration, using something similar to what jbone sent in this thread: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/14421.html

Hopefully that will get some traction. They should at least have a written policy we can read, yes?

If they are not willing to change policy voluntarily, what's the next step?

xiphoris

imported post

BlaineG wrote:
Mayor Knuckles still thinks his silly "decree" of no guns on city property holds water.....It's been a couple monthes, I wonder why no one has challanged this one; it's cut and dried illegal for him to do that.....
Perhaps it's time to test it? OC group visit to the Municipal Building?

xiphoris

imported post

BlaineG wrote:
Did his decree cause an actual Seattle City Ordinance to be passed? His decree just asks city employees to design and draft such an ordinance. Is anything actually in effect yet?

BlaineG

imported post

xiphoris wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
Did his decree cause an actual Seattle City Ordinance to be passed? His decree just asks city employees to design and draft such an ordinance. Is anything actually in effect yet?
I think (uhoh) that even though the different departments have not submitted their plans, that most of the security and managers on the properties are acting like it has taken effect...... I just don't go to Seattle anymore. I actually stopped going to play with a Concert Band that I've played with for 11 years. I will avoid spending any money or going to Seattle or King county at all costs....

jbone

imported post

xiphoris,

Sent you a PM of the letter Hammer and I sent to Skagit County for same violation in thier Court Buildings.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

xiphoris wrote:
Today I happened to have business in the Seattle Municiple Building (I think that's what it's called -- the tower with a slanty top just north of the Columbia Tower). I asked and was told by security at their front desk told me that they disallow guns in the building. I asked if it was a publicly owned building and they responded in the affirmative.

So you asked an employee a legal question and got a bad answer - it's not a preemption violation for a random employee to make a mistake of law or lie to you.

XD45PlusP

imported post

xiphoris wrote:

Ummmm ok, so you asked? Why would you do that? Just out of the blue? Was there a sign? Remind me again why you asked..... There is no jail, police, or court facilities in this building. Even if there was a sign, it holds no weight whatsoever.

Ever heard of "Dont Ask Dont Tell"

PS, the city of seattle owns this building.

XD

xiphoris

imported post

So you asked an employee a legal question and got a bad answer - it's not a preemption violation for a random employee to make a mistake of law or lie to you.
He was the front security. By his answer, he would take action against someone entering the building open carrying, in violation of the person's rights and state pre-emption. This has not actually happened to me, of course, which is why I said I am going to follow up with the building administration.

As to the question about why I asked, the answer is that I would rather have a discussion with the building administration and convince them to change their policy, than by walking into the building carrying and being arrested. At that point I have no choice but a lawsuit to change their minds. I would rather avoid one.

I might still attempt that approach, open carrying into the building. I thought it would be a cute trick to concealed-carry into the building, go about my business, then right before I leave, convert to open-carry. Walk out past the guards, see what happens!

My thinking is that they'd have a greater chance to win against me by preventing me from entering via trespass laws (even though since this is a public building they can't), than by attempting to arrest me while I'm already inside, obviously on legitimate business, and causing trouble for no one, and on my way out.

But that's why I'm here asking for advice. I want to take the approach most likely to achieve a positive result.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

xiphoris wrote:
He was the front security. By his answer, he would take action against someone entering the building open carrying, in violation of the person's rights and state pre-emption. This has not actually happened to me, of course, which is why I said I am going to follow up with the building administration.

As to the question about why I asked, the answer is that I would rather have a discussion with the building administration and convince them to change their policy, than by walking into the building carrying and being arrested. At that point I have no choice but a lawsuit to change their minds. I would rather avoid one.

I might still attempt that approach, open carrying into the building. I thought it would be a cute trick to concealed-carry into the building, go about my business, then right before I leave, convert to open-carry. Walk out past the guards, see what happens!

My thinking is that they'd have a greater chance to win against me by preventing me from entering via trespass laws (even though since this is a public building they can't), than by attempting to arrest me while I'm already inside, obviously on legitimate business, and causing trouble for no one, and on my way out.

But that's why I'm here asking for advice. I want to take the approach most likely to achieve a positive result.
By asking them, you cede the power - don't ask, don't tell. You know the law, you can carry there.

amlevin

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
If it was me, I would contact Randy Loun the local gun guy attorney.

Randy Loun of

Loun & Tyner

509-4th Street
Suite 6
Bremerton, WA 98337-1401
(360) 377-7678

rloun@hotmail.com

From Martindale-Hubbell (Profiles of US Lawyers)

"

Randy W. Loun

Bremerton, Washington
(Kitsap Co.)

Visibility Rankings

#2 out of 44 lawyers in Bremerton, Washington

#126,807 out of 892,553 total lawyers Overall

His "visibility" rating is in the top 14% of all Lawyers rated.

JUst a little FYI for those looking for an attorney.

just_a_car

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Randy W. Loun
Bremerton, Washington
(Kitsap Co.)

Visibility Rankings

#2 out of 44 lawyers in Bremerton, Washington

#126,807 out of 892,553 total lawyers Overall

His "visibility" rating is in the top 14% of all Lawyers rated.

JUst a little FYI for those looking for an attorney.
That's because Randy's made of "Awesome" and "Win". :p