• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Do We Become a Gold Star State?

Thundar

imported post

murf26 wrote:
What does it take? I guess this has been discussed before; if it has, please point me to the right thread and I won't bother anyone with it.
Preemption of local firearms laws would be a good start.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Thundar wrote:
murf26 wrote:
What does it take? I guess this has been discussed before; if it has, please point me to the right thread and I won't bother anyone with it.

FULL preemption is required to get Gold Star status - NC does have preemption, but localities can ban guns in city hall and parks.

Now if these restrictions were hard coded for all of NC in state law, then....NC would be a gold star state.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
Thundar wrote:
murf26 wrote:

FULL preemption is required to get Gold Star status - NC does have preemption, but localities can ban guns in city hall and parks.

Now if these restrictions were hard coded for all of NC in state law, then....NC would be a gold star state.

I don't like how you worded that. That's just adding more restrictions to the books. I think the real question here should not be how to make NC a gold star state, but rather how we can effectively reduce the current restrictions on our 2nd amendment rights. NC residents need to actively pursue a specific goal, like getting rid of the restaurant ban or the ambiguity of the current preemption.

One of the big problems I've noticed is that most of the NC gun owners I run into around here have a very passive attitude about the whole thing. When the topic of the restaurant ban comes up, the two most common responses are, "yeah, but it could be worse" or "well concealed is concealed, so I'm not worried about it". On top of that, the more politically active guys around here are all focused on the presidential situation, so they put little thought into the "not so bad" local laws.

Godscreation

imported post

Well I started the other link but I think I'll just post here. I think Gold Star states are probably easier to work in rather than states like NC. Repealing a restaurant ban is not related to gold star status. Having full preemption of firearm laws is. If you want to get technical (INAL) I think we have better preemption than we realize. Due to possibly hijacking this thread I will not post why I think that in here. The Brady Campaign for gun safety (a liberal antigun group) rated NC as the 13[sup]th[/sup] worst state for guns and violence. To translate that; we are the 13[sup]th[/sup] loosest state in regards to firearms. While I don’t consider the Brady bunch to be authoritative, I think that’s about accurate. Though rather loose we may be, there is still plenty to work on, such as a permit to purchase a handgun. NC is one of only five states that have this in the books.
Getting back to gold star status, my definition of Gold Star would be (with exceptions to Alaska and Vermont) what Virginia is. If we can get to a Virginia status, I would be happy. Dreqo is right though, I won't be completely satified until we are like Alaska or Vermont, even then, I would still find something to complain about. :)

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
The Brady Campaign for gun safety (a liberal antigun group) rated NC as the 13[suP]th[/suP] worst state for guns and violence. To translate that; we are the 13[suP]th[/suP] loosest state in regards to firearms. While I don’t consider the Brady bunch to be authoritative, I think that’s about accurate.
I think that's the other way around. We have the 13th most restrictive gun laws in the country according to the brady bunch. This is one list that I consider it a complement to be at the bottom of.

Godscreation

imported post

Hey Dubcat, I don't want to get off topic, but you are right....maybe....I think. Brady sight doesn't make much sense in scoring a state, but here is what they said about our state.

NORTH CAROLINA Score: 20 out of 100 points State Ranking: 13 out of 50 states
NORTH CAROLINA STATE LAWS
Are there limitations on assault weapons? No
Must handguns be ballistic fingerprinted prior to sale? No
Are gun owners held accountable for leaving guns accessible to kids? Yes
Must locking devices be sold with guns? No
Are only authorized users able to operate handguns? No
Must gun dealers adhere to state licensing and/or oversight systems? Partial
Do cities have authority to hold gun makers legally liable? No
Are background checks required at gun shows? Partial
Are businesses forced to allow guns in the workplace? No
Are colleges/universities forced to allow guns on campus? No
Is it illegal to sell handguns to anyone under 21 years of age? No
Are there limitations on large capacity ammunition magazines? No
Is a license/permit required to buy handguns? Yes
Is there a one-handgun-per-month limit on sales? No
May police limit carrying concealed handguns? No
Must new semi-automatic handguns be sold with microstamping technology? No
May municipalities enact law stronger than the state's? No
May police maintain gun sale records? Partial
Are all guns registered with law enforcement? No
Are firearm owners required to report all lost or stolen guns to law enforcement? No
Are there consumer safety standards on guns? No
Are there limitations on 'junk' handguns? No
Is deadly force allowed to be a first resort in public? No
Are background checks required on all gun sales? No
Is there a waiting period on gun sales? Partial

We scored only 20 out of 100 points :)cool:). Kalifornia scored a whopping 79 out 100 points. Kentucky only scored 2 out 100 (GO KENTUCKY!)