Thread: Applied for CPL - questions regarding RCW 9.41.070 (Bellevue PD tried to deny me...)

Post imported post

So, I went to the Bellevue PD this afternoon. When applying for my CPL, the lady behind the counter (Jennifer) stated that, to apply for a resident's permit, I would need an in-state driver's license with my current Bellevue address listed.

Now, unless I'm mistaken, the bolded part (below) says that they cannot deny me an in-state license, just delay it:

However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

They claimed that Bellevue had a special rule/law that requiredan in-state license with local address, else the permit would bedenied(doesn't this violate preemption?). As a result, I asked about applying for a non-resident's permit,which they said would be fine. However, if they are incorrect in what's being said to applicants, I'd like to get a letter in and hopefully official verbage to prevent issues for people in the future.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

First they violated the law by not taking your app. Second they can't have a law saying"requiredan in-state license with local address, else the permit would bedenied. Yes, it does violate state preemption. Always ask to speak with a supervisor whenever a counter idiot give you crap info.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

Tawnos,

Let's have lunch in Bellevue on Monday. I'll go down there with you.

-Lonnie

Post imported post

Already paid the application fee, and I should get my permit, but if you mean as a matter of making sure that the policy is correctly enforced in the future, awesome .

PMing...
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex