• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applied for CPL - questions regarding RCW 9.41.070 (Bellevue PD tried to deny me...)

Tawnos

imported post

So, I went to the Bellevue PD this afternoon. When applying for my CPL, the lady behind the counter (Jennifer) stated that, to apply for a resident's permit, I would need an in-state driver's license with my current Bellevue address listed.

Now, unless I'm mistaken, the bolded part (below) says that they cannot deny me an in-state license, just delay it:

However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

They claimed that Bellevue had a special rule/law that requiredan in-state license with local address, else the permit would bedenied(doesn't this violate preemption?). As a result, I asked about applying for a non-resident's permit,which they said would be fine. However, if they are incorrect in what's being said to applicants, I'd like to get a letter in and hopefully official verbage to prevent issues for people in the future.

Bear 45/70

imported post

First they violated the law by not taking your app. Second they can't have a law saying"requiredan in-state license with local address, else the permit would bedenied. Yes, it does violate state preemption. Always ask to speak with a supervisor whenever a counter idiot give you crap info.

Tawnos

imported post

Already paid the application fee, and I should get my permit, but if you mean as a matter of making sure that the policy is correctly enforced in the future, awesome :).

PMing...