• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you spare an email.

James

imported post

Hello South Carolinians.

I sent an email to your Governor Thursday asking why we couldnt get a reciprocity agreement between your state and West Virginia. I mentioned my frequent trips to Myrtle.

One of the Governors staff called me today. She said she had talked to someone at S.L.E.D. and they wanted her to fax my email to them. The spokeperson at sled said they would check and would email me back an answer.

If any of you are interested in an agreement, email your Governor and tell him you would like to seen an agreement between the two states. Thanks. By the way, you guys are lucky. It is hard to contact anyone in our state government. :)

http://www.scgovernor.com/

sccrref

imported post

James wrote:
Hello South Carolinians.

I sent an email to your Governor Thursday asking why we couldnt get a reciprocity agreement between your state and West Virginia. I mentioned my frequent trips to Myrtle.

One of the Governors staff called me today. She said she had talked to someone at S.L.E.D. and they wanted her to fax my email to them. The spokeperson at sled said they would check and would email me back an answer.

If any of you are interested in an agreement, email your Governor and tell him you would like to seen an agreement between the two states. Thanks. By the way, you guys are lucky. It is hard to contact anyone in our state government. :)

http://www.scgovernor.com/
I sent a letter to the Director of SLED asking the same thing about Virginia last week. Will be sending one to the Governor soon. Help us out. Virginia already recognizes your SC permit.

sccrref

imported post

Email I just sent to the Governor as well as a letter sent to SLED's Director.

Dear Mr. Sanford,

I would like to commned you on signing H 3212 into law on June 16, 2008. To date, according to SLED's website, they do not appear to have done anything to comply with the provisions of the law. I have recently sent a letter to the Director of SLED inquiring about any progress on South Carolina acknowledging Reciprocity of Virginia Concealed Handgun Permits. Virginia honors South Carolina Concealed Carry permits and the Concealed Handgun Permit for Virginia meets the requirements of the newly signed law. For the past several years I have refrained from vacationing or stopping in your state as I am prevented from using tools that allow me to take responsibility for my family and my protection while there. I was excited to learn of and follow the process of the bill and its signing into law with great pleasure in the hope that your state would finally have true reciprocity with Virginia. This unfortunately has not come to pass. Any insight you provide will be appreciated. Following is the letter I sent to Sled's director.
Sincerely,

Dear Mr. Lloyd:

I recently read of the Governor signing H 3212 into law on June 16, 2008. As of the writing of this letter, SLED’s website has not added any additional states with which it has reciprocity.

The process required by Virginia residents in order to obtain a Resident Concealed Handgun Permit meet all criteria set forth in 23-31-215(N). An applicant is required to pass a criminal background check as part of the application process and is noted on Virginia State Police form SP-248 (7-1-2008). They are also required to demonstrate completion of a course in firearm training and safety by one of the following: Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state; Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course; Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services; Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement; Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services; Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause; Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor; Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

Virginia currently recognizes South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit holders and Virginia’s Resident Concealed Handgun Permit process complies with requirements set forth in South Carolina statutes.

I frequently travel through your state on business and am forced to place my pistol in a center console or glove compartment to comply with current state statutes. I am not allowed to carry on my person at any time. This prevents myself and many others in my situation from protecting ourselves from would be criminals should the need arise. I strongly encourage you to add Virginia to the list of states with which South Carolina has reciprocity with.

Sincerely,