• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

White Powder Found in McCain's Colorado and NH Campaign Offices

Evil Ernie

imported post

Wasn't sure if this was big enough news for the main News and Political Alerts page, so I put it here.

http://cw2.trb.com/news/kwgn-mccain-centennial-white-powder,0,5182378.story

Threats sent to McCain offices in Centennial and N.H. White powder found in Centennial office

August 21, 2008

DENVER (AP) — Authorities said a threatening letter containing an unidentified white powder was sent to a John McCain campaign office in Centennial, and a similar letter was sent to a McCain office in Manchester, New Hampshire.[align=right]
[/align]
A hazardous materials team was trying to determine if the powder found in Centennial was harmful.

It wasn't immediately known if the New Hampshire letter also contained a powder, said Jeff Sadosky, a spokesman with McCain's national campaign office in Arlington, Virginia.

Andy Lyon of Parker South Metro Fire Rescue Authority said a worker at the Colorado office discovered the power after opening the letter Thursday afternoon.

Lyon said no injuries have been reported.

Seven people drove themselves to Sky Ridge Medical Center, but none showed any symptoms of exposure to a toxic substance, hospital spokeswoman Linda Watson said.

Postal Inspector Jo Jan Henderson said agents from her office are the scene.

The threat came four days before the Democratic National Convention opens at the Pepsi Center.

Dom

imported post

Ugh, it starts. I flew into DIA today from work on the east coast. DIA is already nuts, and plastered with liberal signs that I'm sure taxpayers donated. Next week is going to be a mess and I'm sure this incident is just the beginning.

Anubis

imported post

Dom wrote:
Next week is going to be a mess and I'm sure this incident is just the beginning.
No doubt. Since both parties already have their nominees, why bother with these damned conventions anyway? Total waste of time and money.

Chief_of_Scouts

imported post

No doubt. Since both parties already have their nominees, why bother with these damned conventions anyway? Total waste of time and money.

It's like Prom Night just before graduating High School. Another excuse to get together and "party" and shag that girl you have been checking out all year...

Dom

imported post

Another incident:

USA - A Wyoming hunter who accidentally caused a security concern at the Grand Hyatt hotel Saturday says he's sorry for the problems he caused and didn't know the Democratic National Convention was in town.
When Joseph Calanchini walked into the Grand Hyatt hotel with 2 rifles and 2 pistols Saturday around 4 p.m., Denver Police evacuated House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) from the hotel until they arrested Calanchini and made sure it was safe for Pelosi to return.
"I didn't even know the DNC was in town. I don't watch the news," said Joseph Calanchini from the Denver City Jail where he's being held on bond. "If I had known, I would have done things differently. It was a simple mistake."
Calanchini, who talked to 9Wants to Know from the Denver City Jail, says he had the weapons because he's getting ready to go on a hunting safari trip in Limpopo Basin, South Africa on August 28. He plans to hunt warthog, impala, baboon and jackals with a friend there.
He says he had just picked up his rifles from the Sportsman's Warehouse and had them in a locked gun case when he checked in at the Grand Hyatt. The clerk checking him in noticed the rifle case and called security.
"I'm amazed. It's not like they were illegal weapons, they were all registered to me," said Calanchini. "It was bad timing."
Police say Calanchini had permits for the rifles, but did not have concealed permits to carry two pistols that were found in his luggage. Calanchini says he forgot they were in there.
He was charged with unlawfully carrying weapons, a misdemeanor. Calanchini is being held on $10,000 bond at the Denver City Jail.
"I didn't mean to cause any problems," said Calanchini. "I'm sorry, it was not intentional."
Calanchini, who is registered as an independent, says he doesn't know who he's going to vote for yet.
"Would this affect my choice as a candidate? No. There's more important issues than this," said Calanchini.
The 29-year-old man from Pinedale, Wyoming, has never been arrested before. He says he's hunted for several years in places like Canada, California and Wyoming. He planned the safari to South Africa with a friend in June.
He says the U.S. Secret Service interviewed him for an hour and a half on Saturday to make sure he's not a threat.
"They know I'm not trying to do anything," he said.
Calanchini, who sells drilling tools across Colorado and Wyoming, says he is a frequent guest at the Grand Hyatt.
But the Grand Hyatt General Manager says he was not a registered guest at the hotel.
"We don't know why he was walking through our hotel," said General Manager Ed Bucholtz.
After police searched and towed Calanchini's car, they allowed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) back into the hotel.
"The speaker was never in any danger. And she appreciates the quick and professional response of the police," said Brendon Daly, Pelosi spokesman.

(Copyright KUSA*TV All Rights Reserved.)

The mainstream media then spins it, this from Fox News: