• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HELP ! broken Pistol

DEROS72

imported post

First I wanted to thank Irfner for taking me trap shooting with him today.That was a blast, literally.But I went over to the pistol range to fire a couple of mags.Got through one mag and the recoil spring plug broke.I have to thank jarhead eminsly! Since this is my only weapon at this time did not leave a fellow vet unarmed and rushed over to let me use his .357 (which I,m going to buy anyway). Especially since he saw the neigborhood I live in. Mine is a Para ordnance para companion C7.45 LDA single stack.Does anyone know where in the local area I might be able to find this part or is there a substitute that would work in this pistol. Also I am displaying my art at the Renton art walk this sat. 11 to 6 so if anyone is out in that area please stop in.The following link is a sample of my work......http://burtb71.photos.military.com/gallery/2326648/2/207074259/Medium

click on title A soldiers art...

Thanks

DEROS72

imported post

There may be a couple of us meeting for coffee at the safeway starbuckson 216th and international blvd in Seatac tomorrow between 9 and 10 if anyone is up for it.

Note diagram recoil spring plug #42

Bear 45/70

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
There may be a couple of us meeting for coffee at the safeway starbuckson 216th and international blvd in Seatac tomorrow between 9 and 10 if anyone is up for it.

Note diagram recoil spring plug #42
I would think the parts for a 1911 will fit. I have several of the plugsin my 1911 parts box. However I live a ways across the sound from you. I would think any gunsmith would have the plug and a lot of gun stores might also. LEEDs in Tacoma might have it too.

Johnny Law

imported post

I have several Para's and any standard 1911 parts will fit them with the exception of the double stack portion of the high capguns (not yours). If you have the plastic spring (short) guide rod, replace it with a metal one. Any decent gun shop should have generic parts, but I would stick with the wellknown brands if possible. It should be a cheap fix. The other option is to replace it with a full length guide rod, which I do to all my 1911's if they don't already have one. This will end many potential problems with the recoil spring area of the gun.

I have never heard of that particular part breaking.

DEROS72

imported post

I'm not sure ,Here is a quick sketch of the spring plug.It had a tab on top holding it in place in a notch in the slide.I already had a full leght guide rod so I,m stumped.

Johnny Law

imported post

Is the spring plug capped off solid on the front or is it open where the guide rod can slide all the way through and out the front of it when the gun cycles?

DEROS72

imported post

It slides all the way through when it cycles. The guide rod has an allen headat the forward end to remove it.Note the notch in the slide.The spring plug had a tab on it that slid into that notch which the .The guide rod was installed through the front and tightened with an allen wrench which held the whole smash in place.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Where I got my Para

Welcher's Gun Shop Inc
Firearms & Gunsmith
(253) 472-1113
(253) 472-6655 (Fax)
6400 Pacific Avenue,
Tacoma, WA 98408

amlevin

imported post

Another great site is Numrich Gun Parts.

I recently had to purchase a slide for a pistol I was repairing. They claim to ship most of their orders within 48 hours of receipt of the order.

I ordered online and received the slide the next week, exactly 7 days later and most of the time was due to postage. Many shops will be glad to sell you a new gun but it is the rare shop that actually has PARTS, not accessories on hand.

BTW, Numrich prices are not all that bad, even including shipping.