• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving OUT of California, but to WHERE?

gravedigger

imported post

I have been considering moving OUT of California. I have lived here for 36 years, which makes me a "native Californian" because anyone who has lived here more than 20 years is practically an original settler!

So, all other things being equal, in that I can find work anywhere, and I have no kids, no educational requirements and no ex-wives to avoid, I have concluded that the one deciding factor as to where to move will be the GUN LAWS.

I want to move to a place where I can legally own a pistol that shoots more than ten rounds. I want to move to a place where I can buy ten handguns, four rifles and a half-dozen shotguns if I can afford it, just because I think they're marvelous examples of fine American craftsmanship, and I want to take them home with me right away.

I want to find a place where I can legally open carry and CONCEALED carry without fear of being thrown into jail overnight just because a cop knows he is not accountable for the inconvenience he will cause me. (Ask bobbarker about this one.)

I want to move to a place where if I want to buy a machine gun just because I am an American, I can do so without Janet Reno showing up at my door.

I want to live in a place where, in the unlikely event that someone assaults me with a knife or a bat or a crowbar, I can legally draw and drop him in his tracks after he ignores my warning to cease his agression. I don't want to run away. I don't want to comply with the demands of a criminal, and I don't want to be prosecuted by the D.A. for defending my life.

My mom and sister visited Birmingham Alabama a while ago. I have to laugh, because she asked an older black gentleman, "Is this a safe neighborhood?" He smiled and said, "Yes ma'am. You are certainly safe here. I am armed. (shows his holster under his jacket) Everyone is armed. Even the waitress who is serving you is armed..."

So tell me, America. WHERE should I start looking for a new home?

Jared

imported post

gravedigger wrote:
I have been considering moving OUT of California. I have lived here for 36 years, which makes me a "native Californian" because anyone who has lived here more than 20 years is practically an original settler!

So, all other things being equal, in that I can find work anywhere, and I have no kids, no educational requirements and no ex-wives to avoid, I have concluded that the one deciding factor as to where to move will be the GUN LAWS.

I want to move to a place where I can legally own a pistol that shoots more than ten rounds. I want to move to a place where I can buy ten handguns, four rifles and a half-dozen shotguns if I can afford it, just because I think they're marvelous examples of fine American craftsmanship, and I want to take them home with me right away.

I want to find a place where I can legally open carry and CONCEALED carry without fear of being thrown into jail overnight just because a cop knows he is not accountable for the inconvenience he will cause me. (Ask bobbarker about this one.)

I want to move to a place where if I want to buy a machine gun just because I am an American, I can do so without Janet Reno showing up at my door.

I want to live in a place where, in the unlikely event that someone assaults me with a knife or a bat or a crowbar, I can legally draw and drop him in his tracks after he ignores my warning to cease his agression. I don't want to run away. I don't want to comply with the demands of a criminal, and I don't want to be prosecuted by the D.A. for defending my life.

My mom and sister visited Birmingham Alabama a while ago. I have to laugh, because she asked an older black gentleman, "Is this a safe neighborhood?" He smiled and said, "Yes ma'am. You are certainly safe here. I am armed. (shows his holster under his jacket) Everyone is armed. Even the waitress who is serving you is armed..."

Oregon, has very good gun laws, best in the nation if you reside there. You can also open carry any blade, knife, or switchblade statewide. Fully class 3 and no other restrictions.

New Hampshire, is excellent on guns, no so great on knives, no income tax, no sales tax, very high quality of life, strong (not strong enough) libertarian culture.

Oregon and New Hampshire would be my first choice I also found Virginia to be very nice, but they are high taxed and expensive. Their gun laws are decent, but not great. They are a lot better than they were 4 years ago.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Jared wrote:
gravedigger wrote:

Oregon, has very good gun laws, best in the nation if you reside there. You can also open carry any blade, knife, or switchblade statewide. Fully class 3 and no other restrictions.

New Hampshire, is excellent on guns, no so great on knives, no income tax, no sales tax, very high quality of life, strong (not strong enough) libertarian culture.

Oregon and New Hampshire would be my first choice I also found Virginia to be very nice, but they are high taxed and expensive. Their gun laws are decent, but not great. They are a lot better than they were 4 years ago.

Virginia tax rates are among the lowest in the country. However, if you're talking about real estate taxes, then that completely depends upon where you live.. just like anyplace else. Our gun laws are also among the best and we are known as being a very gun-friendly state.

Vermont and Alaska have the most lenient gun laws, but they also have cold climates, which may be a consideration. What about Arizona? Close to California, yet gun-friendly.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Colorado!!!!!!!!!!!!! Except Denver...stay away from Denver.

Aside from the aforementioned cesspool, Colorado follows federal gun laws and really has no "state gun laws", except the non-resident out of state CCW permits, and not being allowed to carry on a snowmobile :quirky. Aside from that, OC and CC are extremely common, clean air, mountain living or the wide open plains if that's yer fancy. Plenty of gold still awaits in dem dar hills, folks are downright nice, and it seems the ladies are better "equipped"...must be the thin air....

Oh, and golf balls fly further...can't forget that.

GreenDrake

imported post

C'mon up to north Idaho. You can probably find a decent gig in Spokane, Washington, 20 miles west of here. Heck I'll even sell you a house. We have brand new homes in the $160k range here, low cost of living and are a very gun friendly state. That and the gin clear trout streams, mountains, clean air, low crime and four fantastic seasons.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Well, I'd have to say you should consider Middle Tennessee (outside Nashville Metro area). Shall issue permit for open or concealed, and the LEO's seem to be pretty well versed on gun rights. Pretty solid local gun culture, as well. There are some places where carry is off limits that I don't like, but we are working to change that. Most significant is you cannot carry into a place that sells alcohol for on-site consumption (including restaurants) or into any parks or recreation areas.

Housing values are stable and reasonable, and property taxes are low. Property taxes vary widely from county to county, though. For example, I own a 2500sq ft on 1/2 acre in a small town, value around 225k, annual taxes around $1200. Same house one county over would be about 600k with 5k in taxes.

No state income tax, though the sales tax is pretty steep. 7% state, plus county and town local option. Generally the total is around 9%. All sales tax is a fed tax deduction (credit? I don't recall at the moment), though. As long as you aren't in a state that has both, it's a wash.

Unemployment is low, and there are lots of companies relocating to the area. Mostly tech sector and logistics. Three different interstates meet in Nashville, and it's a days drive to about 2/3 of the country. Traffic gets interesting at times, but if you are from the place "where insanity meets the sea" ( Drew Hastings, comedian) the traffic will seem light to you.

Wages are high here compared to cost of living. When I moved here in 2004 from SE Pennsylvania, cost of living was about 30% less, and my wage was about 20% higher and my wifes' was almost 50% higher.

Large military presence in the area, from Ft Campbell just north of Nashville to Arnold AFB south.

About 8 hrs by car to the Gulf Coast, 4-6 hrs to the Smokey Mountains, good hunting and fishing, and some of the nicest, friendliest, politest people I have been around. As I said, I moved here from PA, and was startled by all the people that would wave, smile or say hi walking down the street.

Respectfully,

Pol

EDIT: spellcheck should be my friend!

Loneviking

imported post

Move just over 'the hill' to Nevada. OC is legal, CC permit is easy to get; civil suits by criminals limited by statute; we have the equivelent of the Castle doctrine by statute. There's lots to see and do here in the Reno/CC/Gardnerville area. Oh, and no state income tax!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Arizona pard! No snow down south... OC legal... CCW easy to obtain. Stay outta the cities 'n the real estate is cheap compared to anywhere else... 'Don't need standard sticks 'n bricks... Don't need that. Nice dubbelwides can be had for around $130K on an acre or more. Look on-line... get photo's of properties for sale. Found this one that way 5 years ago. Even got a 13K gallon in-ground pool... fenced, landscaped... 3 bdrm, 2 bath... covered porch 'n patio... 2 car garage... 3 unit covered car port, walled back yard, producing fruit trees, 6 largepalms... 16 sagueros 'n other cacti... storage shed, work shed (block built) paved drive, patio... LP gas... own aqufer... (great water!) $170K 15 miles from the closest stop light. First sign I see on the paved road is 'Open Range'. Cowboy country! You'll need a truck or SUV tho... Even if just to load the groceries in.

impulse

imported post

I'm not to come to AZ (I live here) are traffic is getting too bad already lol :D.

I would say, AZ, NV, or WA

Huck

imported post

Wyoming, (no state income tax) Colorado, Montana, or Idaho. All great places to live with great folks and VERY 2nd ammendment friendly.

I was born and raised in Kalifornia and lived there for 46 years before I retired and moved to Wyoming. No better place to live! I chose Wyoming over the others I mentioned because of the no state income tax which is a good thing for a retiree but I'd have no problem living in the other statesI mentioned.(exceptthe I-25 corridorfrom Colorado Springsto Fort Collins)The only downside is the long, cold, winters but no place is perfect. Besides, you get used to it.:)

ScottyT

imported post

Move to Utah!

Beautiful wilderness, one of the country's strongest economies, booming urban areas, low cost of living, etc...

I love it here! :celebrate

Jared

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Virginia tax rates are among the lowest in the country. However, if you're talking about real estate taxes, then that completely depends upon where you live.. just like anyplace else. Our gun laws are also among the best and we are known as being a very gun-friendly state.

Vermont and Alaska have the most lenient gun laws, but they also have cold climates, which may be a consideration. What about Arizona? Close to California, yet gun-friendly.

Virginia is my favorite place. I lived in Reston for 5 months, it was the best 5 months of my life.

Northern Virginia does have very high taxes, the rest of the state may be much lower.

Virginia does not have good self defense laws.

Virginia is not a bad state on guns but they get an inflated grade because of the open carry movement.

I like open carry but it sucks that it's mandated in almost every restaurant. Most states are not like this. Virginia has quite a few places off limits to carry (not as bad as Tennessee or the Carolinas).

They are not fully class 3 either. Automatic shotguns are banned.

Putting gun laws aside, if I'd live anywhere it would be Northern Virginia. Maybe this will change one day, but not anytime soon :)

WhiteFeather

imported post

How on earth do you land in a situation like this???

I must be doing something really wrong...

A few things must be taken into account here...

I have no problem living in the middle of no where, closest neighbors a good 5 or 10 miles away are ok. I like the beach but not as much as I like the mountains. So a very very close second would be Wilmington NC. Although not the greatest with the gun laws and pretty much a nanny state, its still gorgous.

My number 1 place to live in the US would have to be Montana. Anywhere in Montana, but preferably somewhere that I needed a helicopter with pontoons to reach it. I always liked the set up Stringfellow Hawk had.

Now if I could live anywhere in the world...

Southern Switzerland. Reasons are endless...

Orygunner

imported post

So,gravedigger, I think the common thread is that almost any state is better than where you're at now :)

Oregon's great, you canOC in just about 99% of the state, and if you get a CHL, it takes it up to 99.9% (only federal facilities and some court facilities are banned to firearms if you have a CHL). We also have NO Sales Tax (yeah, but income taxes kinda suck) and you can't pump your own gas here.

However, you can only move to Oregon if you leave all the California behind you. (For example, please don't bring any California Driving, California Gang Members, Bad California Ideas, or California Mentality :) )

...OK, you can bring some California wine if it's good quality :celebrate...
...Orygunner...

SpringerXDacp

imported post

gravedigger wrote:

Gravedigger, Michigan is not a bad place to be in terms of gun laws (CC or OC), providing of course, you are not required to work for a living. :?