• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Cuccinelli Compass

ccunning

imported post

peter nap wrote:
ccunning wrote:
peter nap wrote:
http://news.oldva.org/?p=139

Dear Fellow Republican:

In this issue:

I guess he doesn't want my vote if I'm not a Republican?
That's fine! Maybe Doug Wilder will run again so you'll have someone to vote for.
Wow. Way to expand your base there killer. With only 32% of nationally registered voters professing the moniker and Virginia turning bluer by the day I guess I thought Republicans would be more inclusive.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ccunning wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ccunning wrote:
peter nap wrote:
http://news.oldva.org/?p=139

Dear Fellow Republican:

In this issue:

I guess he doesn't want my vote if I'm not a Republican?
That's fine! Maybe Doug Wilder will run again so you'll have someone to vote for.
Wow. Way to expand your base there killer. With only 32% of nationally registered voters professing the moniker and Virginia turning bluer by the day I guess I thought Republicans would be more inclusive.

I posted the link, I didn't invite you to join a club, Slick..... Vote whatever party you want.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Perhaps someone can help me out here.

This has what, exactly, to do with open carry, RKBA or anything whatever related to firearms?

I'm not appointing myself a mod or anything, I just thought this forum was oriented towards those topics.

regards,

GR

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well towards the end of the blogpost Cuchinelli gets into his attitude on firearms, which is pretty progun.
What a Difference a Century Makes!
Factoids from a recent email that I received from the year 1907:

The average life expectancy in the U.S. Was 47 years old.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.
A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.
There were only 8,000 cars in the US., and only 144 miles of paved roads.

Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California
The average U.S. worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2,000 per year, a dentist made $2,500 per year,
a veterinarian $1,500 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.
More than 95 percent of all births in the U.S. took place at home.
Ninety percent of all U.S. doctors had no college education. Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and the government as “substandard.”
Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.
Five leading causes of death in the U.S. were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke
The American flag had 45 stars.
Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska hadn’t been admitted to the Union yet.
The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!
Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea hadn’t been invented yet [I’m glad I waited…].
2 out of every 10 U.S. adults couldn’t read or write [it is my understanding that this figure is 4 out of 10 in Petersburg, Va. in 2008].
Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.
Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, “Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health.”
There were about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.A.!

[I would note re the last statistic, that I think it’s very, very safe to say that there were many, many more guns per capita in America in 1907, yet the number of murders was a tiny fraction of what it is today. Hmmmm, maybe the guns aren’t actually responsible for all of the firearms murders today… could it be that the murderers themselves are actually responsible? Novel thought.]

Sincerely,

Senator Ken Cuccinelli
Virginia 37[sup]th[/sup]

hsmith

imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:

This has what, exactly, to do with open carry, RKBA or anything whatever related to firearms?

I'm not appointing myself a mod or anything, I just thought this forum was oriented towards those topics.

regards,

GR
He is considered pretty "pro gun," so it behooves us

longwatch

imported post

Most pro-RKBA Virginian politician since Dick Black could be asserted. He's definitely our friend.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:

regards,

GR
I think I can help you understand. Watch the following videos of the Heller party he gave. The first one is VCDL President and then the rest is the Senator. He is a very good friend of the pro gun crowd.

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/news/?action=view&current=hellersmall1.flv
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/news/?action=view&current=hellersmall221.flv
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/news/?action=view&current=hellersmall222.flv
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/news/?action=view&current=hellersmall223.flv
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/news/?action=view&current=hellersmall321.flv
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/news/?action=view&current=hellersmall322.flv

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Okay, got it now. I guess the thing was that I didn't see anything explicitly RKBA in the OP link.

One of the problems inherent in our political system is that one tends to get a choice between one of two package deals. I _am_ pro-RKBA and unambiguously so, but I can get run out of a "conservative" political conversation without a lot of trouble if the talk goes in certain directions.

Further deponent sayeth not.

regards,

GR

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have no idea if Kuccinelli is pro-OC or not, though he has courted some OC people; he is pro-gun, and thus the favored candidate for those who vote particularly on that issue.

I disagree with him on many of his social positions and because he chooses to campaign on issues (pro-life, smaller government, anti-tax, etc.) that are not part of the role of the attorney general (http://www.oag.state.va.us/OUR_OFFICE/Role.html).

From a forum perspective, though, I would prefer campaign literature not be copied here. I would prefer our members talk about pro-OC and pro-RKBA issues, referencing points or websites, but keeping the issue to gun topics.

Just my $0.02.

ccunning

imported post

I apologize if my earlier posts were overly abrasive. I just get frustrated when people pigeon hole this issue as a partisan one. All of my liberal leaning friends are not only pro RKBA, but about half of them have CC permits. On the other hand one of my staunch Republican friends actually works for the Brady Campaign.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tess wrote:
I have no idea if Kuccinelli is pro-OC or not, though he has courted some OC people; he is pro-gun, and thus the favored candidate for those who vote particularly on that issue.

I disagree with him on many of his social positions and because he chooses to campaign on issues (pro-life, smaller government, anti-tax, etc. that are not part of the role of the attorney general (http://www.oag.state.va.us/OUR_OFFICE/Role.html).

From a forum perspective, though, I would prefer campaign literature not be copied here. I would prefer our members talk about pro-OC and pro-RKBA issues, referencing points or websites, but keeping the issue to gun topics.

Just my $0.02.
Well Tess, I actually agree 100%.
I have posted the links to the Compass ever since I was added to the media list. This is the first time it's generated discussion.

I should have ignored the first poster. I've been working on how to ignore things. It's an acquired art.

I think posting any links is a technical violation here and that may be the answer. If the Admins prefer that, I of course will comply.

longwatch

imported post

Well my 2 cents are that so long as it is directly related to OC and or RKBA, political stuff is OK.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

ccunning (23 August 2008 Saturday 13:17) notes:

All of my liberal leaning friends are not only pro RKBA, but about half of them have CC permits. On the other hand one of my staunch Republican friends actually works for the Brady Campaign.
An observation that IMHO it we would all do well to remember.

There are certainly tendencies for RKBA advocates to line up on certain sides of the political divide, but RKBA is not fundamentally a "liberal" or "conservative" issue, nor should we let it become one. Individual candidates or officeholders whose views are relevant to us may be liberal or conservative, but IMHO the more we keep things at the grassroots and stay focused on RKBA itself, the better off we will be. As individuals, we of course care about other issues, but those issues have their own place.

I know better than "can't we all just get along?", but at the same time I think we all know that the more we let other issues into our discussions, the less effective we will be.

Please note that I am not saying that anyone should or should not do any particular thing, nor that I have any authority whatsoever here. MHO only.

regards,

GR

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:
ccunning (23 August 2008 Saturday 13:17) notes:

All of my liberal leaning friends are not only pro RKBA, but about half of them have CC permits. On the other hand one of my staunch Republican friends actually works for the Brady Campaign.
An observation that IMHO it we would all do well to remember.

There are certainly tendencies for RKBA advocates to line up on certain sides of the political divide, but RKBA is not fundamentally a "liberal" or "conservative" issue, nor should we let it become one. Individual candidates or officeholders whose views are relevant to us may be liberal or conservative, but IMHO the more we keep things at the grassroots and stay focused on RKBA itself, the better off we will be. As individuals, we of course care about other issues, but those issues have their own place.

I know better than "can't we all just get along?", but at the same time I think we all know that the more we let other issues into our discussions, the less effective we will be.

Please note that I am not saying that anyone should or should not do any particular thing, nor that I have any authority whatsoever here. MHO only.

regards,

GR
I guess since we're still hashing this out, I'll throw in my 0.02 also.
I don't vote for a party. If I had to define my party affiliation, it would be an Anarchist. They ain't running though so I can't vote along party lines.

I have always voted either for the man or more frequently, against the worst of the bad.

Cuccinelli is different though. While I don't agree with his total platform, I agree with enough of it to vote for him without hesitation. It doesn't matter what party he is in.

Virginia has always been famous for party swapping. Virgil Goode, whom I would follow to the end of the earth, made the political change. They go with who's doing well that year even though they have their own views on the issues.

I host the Compass on my site because many of the people who read it, are from very rural Va. They see a Northern Va Candidate and dismiss him as an idiot without looking at the platform. If I saw a headline that said "Senator Stallings Sponsors Aids Research"....I'd assume it was because his husband gave it to him, and not bother reading further.

I post the links here because even here, as evidenced by the opening salvo, some people are not aware of the very strong support he has given Gun Owners in this state.

Vote the man, not the party.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

peter nap (24 August 2008 Sunday 10:15) says:

I post the links here because even here, as evidenced by the opening salvo, some people are not aware of the very strong support he has given Gun Owners in this state.
Just a suggestion, but since there are folks who aren't aware of Sen. Cuccinelli and his positions, posting a few sentences about who he is and why he merits attention along with the link might be helpful. One needn't be on the man's campaign committee to think that he's worth knowing about. Maybe post his NRA grades or something similar to make obvious why he's relevant. Again, just a thought.

I have always voted either for the man or more frequently, against the worst of the bad.
No argument with that.

regards,

GR