• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Unregistered Weapon

irish

imported post

I looked through the 1st 5 pages and can't find anything related to the consequences of not registering your firearm. I live in Clark County and due to my own personal beliefs I choose not to register my firearms, however, what would happen if I was stopped by a LEO? Confiscate the firearm, arrest, jail time?

I'm not asking for any advice on how to circumvent the law. I'm just curious as to what I might encounter as I never plan on registering any of my weapons. I firmly belive that registration leads to confiscation.

Marco

imported post

Call Metro'sCCW detail and ask, don't forget toask for acite/NRS.

The only thing I could find was this fine.

1. Each permittee shall carry the permit, or a duplicate issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.367, together with proper identification whenever the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed firearm. Both the permit and proper identification must be presented if requested by a peace officer.

2. A permittee who violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of $25 for each violation.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2724)

Edit:spelling

irish

imported post

Agent19 wrote:

The only thing I could find was these fine.

1. Each permittee shall carry the permit, or a duplicate issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.367, together with proper identification whenever the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed firearm. Both the permit and proper identification must be presented if requested by a peace officer.

2. A permittee who violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of $25 for each violation.

Thanks for such a quick response. I'm flying home to Vegasshortly so I don't have time to read all of this right now.

h2ojunkie

imported post

Agent19 wrote:

The only thing I could find was these fine.

This section of the law only applies to your CCW. It has nothing to do with firearms registration.

There is no penalty in the law for failure to register the firearm, however what they would do if they found you with an unregistered weapon is beyond me.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow. A lot of misinformation here.

Agent19's quote is related to someone who has been issued a CCW/CFP but does not have it in their posesssion while they are carrying a concealed firearm. Totally irrelevant to the question.

h2ojunkie is wrong that there is no penalty. Here are the relevant sections of the Clark County Code:

Code:
12.04.110 Registration of pistols within seventy-two hours.

Any resident of the county receiving title to a pistol, whether by purchase, gift, or any other transfer, and whether from a dealer or from any other person, shall, within seventy-two hours of such receipt, personally appear at the county sheriff’s office, together with the pistol, for the purpose of registering the same with the sheriff. It shall be the duty of the sheriff to register the pistol, and he may, and is hereby authorized to cooperate in any manner he sees fit with other law enforcement agencies, and with licensed dealers, relative to registration of pistols, so that efficient registration shall be secured at minimum cost and duplication. (Ord. 3571 §3, 2007: Ord. 242 §11, 1965)

12.04.200 Registration of firearms capable of being concealed.

It is unlawful for any person with at least sixty days of residency in the county to own or have in his possession, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, a pistol or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the same has first been registered with the sheriff or with a police department of any of the incorporated cities of Clark County. (Ord. 3571 §4, 2007: Ord. 242 §20, 1965)

12.04.220 Penalty for violation of Sections 12.04.010--12.04.210. 

Any person who violates any of the provisions of Sections 12.04.010 through 12.04.210 is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed six months or by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars, or by both. (Ord. 242 § 23, 1965)

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

irish wrote:
Thanks for such a quick response. I'm flying home to Vegasshortly so I don't have time to read all of this right now. In reading the first sectionmy interpretation and 1st instinct would be to tell the officer I just got back yesterday from another state where relatives reside and brought the firearm with me so it hasn't been in Clark County for 72 hours yet. Don't know if this would fly or not but it would be an arguable defense.
Thanks to bobernet for posting the relevant code section. With the 72 hour rule, the burden of proof would be on the DA to prove it was here longer than 72 hours, and you're right, it would be a great defense with plenty of reasonable doubt.

But I do disagree with your instincts here. NEVER talk to the police. LYING to the police is a crime, remaining silent is not. If he intends to cite you for a registration violation anyway, lying only compounds your potential problems.

Marco

imported post

Agent19 wrote:

The only thing I could find was this fine.

12.04.110 Registration of pistols within seventy-two hours.

12.04.200 Registration of firearms capable of being concealed.

12.04.220 Penalty for violation of Sections 12.04.010--12.04.210.

I never stated my post answered his question.
I said, it was the only fine I could find.

I knew about these codes however, they didn't have a penalty/fine listed that I noticed.
I didn't see the fine in 12.04.220 since it was written and not listed in $ sign.

Have a nice day.

h2ojunkie

imported post

bobernet wrote:
Wow. A lot of misinformation here.

Agent19's quote is related to someone who has been issued a CCW/CFP but does not have it in their posesssion while they are carrying a concealed firearm. Totally irrelevant to the question.

h2ojunkie is wrong that there is no penalty. Here are the relevant sections of the Clark County Code:

Code:
Thanks for the code bobernet, do you know if 12.04.220 is new since the county updated the code this year to follow the state mandate?

I remember reading the code last year trying to find the penalty for failure to register, and could not find any penalty in the county code.

So either I missed it at that time, or they added the penalty in when they amended the code to the 72 hour resident/60 day non-resident instead of the old 24 hour it was last year.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

timf343 wrote:
NEVER talk to the police. LYING to the police is a crime, remaining silent is not. If he intends to cite you for a registration violation anyway, lying only compounds your potential problems.
+1!

The only things you should ever say when you are being investigated are: "Am I free to go?" and "I do not consent to this search/seizure of my property/person." (Note that while objecting to any search is a good idea, it is almost never a good idea to physically resist any search. Even when physical resistance is justified, it will almost certainly not end well for you.)

CowboyKen

imported post

So the answer to the OPs question is loss of the weapon(s), lots of legal fees and, upon conviction, "imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed six months or by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars, or by both."

WOW! That hardly seems worth it to me.

Ken

irish

varminter22

imported post

Irish,

I agree 100%.

Registration can lead to only one thing: confiscation.

Can't happen in the U. S. A?? Of course it could. And it probably will if we don't educate and vote right. Maybe not in our lifetimes. Maybe not in the next generation. But it COULD happen.

The problem is far reaching and will require legislative action to effect a fix.

bobernet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm not going to comment on my personal feelings related to registration one way or the other. Never the less, this forum isn't the appropriate place to discuss or advocate breaking the law.

Our intention is to affect change through legal means, and support each other in the legal exercise of our rights.

My only practical comment to Irish would be that if you're that paranoid about gun confiscation and being tracked by Big Brother, I wouldn't suggest running around the Internet posting publicly that you intend to, and in fact are, breaking the law.

The fact that you signed up with a pseudonym doesn't make you anonymous.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Can't agree more. Breaking the law is bad enough. Publicly discussing it is a whole new ball of wax. It's called conspiracy, and even conspiracy to steal a candy bar is a felony, while taking the candy bar is probably just a slap on the wrist. So if you have broken the law, will break the law, or are currently breaking the law, do yourself a favor and keep it to yourself!

varminter22

imported post

I don't think anyone would advocate the violation of laws/ordinances.

However, as specified in the ordinance, it is a misdemeanor.

That said, "civil disobedience" is the term for not abiding by laws that are believed to be wrong. In reference to the handgun registration ordinance, I suspect there is MUCH civil disobedience in Clark County. It would be interesting, but impossible, to know just how much!

irish

imported post

varminter22 wrote:

That said, "civil disobedience" is the term for not abiding by laws that are believed to be wrong. In reference to the handgun registration ordinance, I suspect there is MUCH civil disobedience in Clark County. It would be interesting, but impossible, to know just how much!
Well said.

irish

imported post

varminter22 wrote:

Well said.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That law changed. You have at least 60 days to register it and you only have to if you are taking up residence in Clark county.