• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Oregon State Fair?

Orygunner

imported post

The Oregon State Fair started today (Aug. 22), andI am planning on attending tomorrow with the family.

I decided to do some investigating before I did.

I discovered on their website (http://www.oregonstatefair.org/)this info (It's on the About the Fair>Guest Services page):

Safety Measures and Security Inspections
To insure the safety and enjoyment of all Fair patrons, participants, volunteers, contractors and employees, the Oregon State Fair may require inspection of carry-in items such as purses, backpacks, briefcases, suitcases, athletic bags, duffel bags, coolers, ice chests, picnic baskets, diaper bags, strollers, packages, containers and other similar products capable of concealing prohibited items. Please leave all unnecessary items at home or secured and out-of-sight in your vehicle. OAR 622-055.

But I could find no list of prohibited items on the website. I looked up Oregon Administrative Rule 622-055, which was moved into the State Parks OAR 736-201: http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_700/OAR_736/736_201.html

This chapter says (emphasis is mine):

Definitions:

OAR 736-201-0005 Definitions
(19) "Weapon" includes, but is not limited to, any firearm; any destructive device; any dirk or dagger; any knife with a blade of three inches or more in length, and any snap-blade or spring-blade knife, regardless of the length of the blade; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight-edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle; any device by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of compressed air, gas, compressed spring or by any chemical action; any dangerous or deadly weapon within the meaning of any law of this state restricting the use thereof; any cutting, stabbing or bludgeoning weapon or any other device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm.

OAR 736-201-0060 Items Prohibited on Property
(1) The following items are prohibited on OSFD property unless specifically authorized in this rule:
(d) Weapons;

However, it ALSO says:

OAR 736-201-0060 Items Prohibited on Property (continued)
(2) Exceptions to the above prohibitions are limited to:
(a) Weapons of law enforcement officials and those carried by persons authorized by law to carry them when carried in a manner authorized by law;

So, I Emailed the fair:

To Whom it May Concern:

We are planning on attending the Oregon State Fair tomrrow, and I was searching through the website for more information on activities and things to see. I noticed on the Guest Services page that the Oregon State Fair may conduct searches for "prohibited items" but did not list the items.

I searched through the Oregon Administrative Rules (as referenced in that section), and found that under OAR 736-201-0060, all weapons, including firearms, are prohibited from the fairgrounds.

However, it also says that an allowable exception is: "Weapons of law enforcement officials and those carried by persons authorized by law to carry them when carried in a manner authorized by law."

Openly carrying a handgun in a belt holster is not prohibited by law in the State of Oregon for any law-abiding citizen not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. I will not be barred entry into the fairgrounds if I am legally openly carrying a handgun in a belt holster, is this correct?

Thanks,

I will let you know when (or if) I get a response.

...Orygunner...

DenWin

imported post

Looks pretty cut and dry to me; I like that you do your research and still get clarification from their staff. I hope to read their response to your inquiry.

Orygunner

imported post

Well, visited the Oregon State Fair on Friday (spent way too much money, but doesn't it always turn out like that? )

Unfortunately, I could not try Open Carrying into the Fair because we went with my parents-in-law, and they are completely opposed to Open Carry, so I carried my Kel-Tec P-3AT in my pocket holster.

At they entrances, they were only visually checking inside bags, purses and packs. No frisking or metal detectors. I didn't want to ask them about concealed/open carry because of my parents-in-law present.

I did see LOTS of Open Carrying going on - I think I counted at LEAST 10 Oregon State Police officers patrolling the fair on foot (one of them with very visible arm tattoos :shock:). I managed to pass by one of them at one point and the conversation went about like this:

Me: Say, I noticed they're checking purses & bags at the entrances, and I have a question: If someone has a Concealed Handgun License, it is legal to carry here in the fair, right?
OSP: Yes, as long as they have the Concealed Handgun License, it is legal.
Me: Thanks!

So I at least got confirmation that CC is legal, but didn't have the nerve to ask what he would do about OC.

I wish my In-Laws and wife were more open to Open Carry, I would have the nerve to be more of an activist, but I just can't take the chance around the In-Laws :uhoh:. I would have gladly attempted to enter the fair OCing if I had an opportunity and a buddy to video-tape :).

If anyone else visits the Oregon State Fair, I'd like to know if the employees at the gate know handguns are allowed. We went once this year, so I'm not going to be able to ask again this year.

...Orygunner...

PepsiDad

imported post

I'm going tonight (promised my daughter Weird Al tickets - after I bought them, mother informs me I'm taking her). :banghead:

Will be CC'ing. I haven't OC'd yet, but I wouldn't want to at a place like the fair or any other crowded venue - too many people to keep track of for retention purposes.

My conceal carry weapon is aRuger LCP I keep in a "wallet" holster. I have printed out the Oregon State Park admin rules concerning weapons at the fair, plus the ORS statutes concerning exemption of CHL holders carrying firmarms in public, plus the ORS statute preempting any of the State Park rules. Folded it up and tucked it into my holster with my weapon. Doubt I'll need them though (concealed means concealed).