• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

(VA) Midlothian gun store pleads to NYC charges

W.E.G.

imported post

Bob Moates Sports Shop has agreed to a deal with New York City lawyers who accused the Virginia store of selling guns to straw purchasers. The New York Daily News has the story.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...-21_city_stares_down_virginia_gun_seller.html

City stares down Virginia gun seller

By John Marzulli
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, August 21st 2008, 8:48 PM

The city has reached a tentative settlement with a Virginia gun shop - the last of the 27 dealers it sued for selling firearms to straw buyers.

Bob Moates' Sport Shop agreed to make changes in its sales practices but will not be subject to surveillance and monitoring by a special master like the other gun retailers that settled, city attorney Ari Biernoff said Thursday.

The federal case accused firearms dealers in Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia of contributing to gun violence in New York City by selling guns to straw purchasers who convey them to criminals.

A gun control group in Virginia had found that Moates sold 22 guns used in crimes and recovered by the NYPD between 1994 and 2002.

Moates told the Daily News Thursday he settled the case "for peace of mind."

"Mayor Bloomberg probably thought he was doing the right thing, but not in my opinion," Moates said. "I didn't do anything wrong, and the fact that guns made there way up to New York City is not in my control."

Jury selection in Brooklyn Federal Court for Moates' trial was scheduled for next month.

The city settled with 21 gun shops, while three others defaulted and three cases were dismissed.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Bob fought the good fight for a long time. I guess the b*stards finally wore him out. Bloomberg has a limitless supply of taxpayer funded lawyers to throw at anyone he wants.

tripledipper

imported post

Bloomberg and his eunuch Police Commissioner, Raymond Kelly, have made sure that only the perps and the cops have guns and the citizens be damned. In assuring that the citizensremain defenseless, he hasalso allowed the bad guys to be sure they will meet withno opposition when commiting crimes, and the BG's usually have equal or more firepower than the NYPD. This is why he cannotfind any candidates for the thankless job of Police Officer. I don't recall what happened in the case of the Danville Gun Shop, but he was giving away a rifle in a lottery. Bloomberg should try "staring down" the criminals, not out-of-state gun dealers.

67GT390FB

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:

Bob Moates Sports Shop has agreed to a deal with New York City lawyers who accused the Virginia store of selling guns to straw purchasers. The New York Daily News has the story.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/08/21/2008-08-21_city_stares_down_virginia_gun_seller.html

City stares down Virginia gun seller

By John Marzulli
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, August 21st 2008, 8:48 PM

The city has reached a tentative settlement with a Virginia gun shop - the last of the 27 dealers it sued for selling firearms to straw buyers.

Bob Moates' Sport Shop agreed to make changes in its sales practices but will not be subject to surveillance and monitoring by a special master like the other gun retailers that settled, city attorney Ari Biernoff said Thursday. I'd almost count this as a win in a situation as finacially daunting as this was.

The federal case accused firearms dealers in Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia of contributing to gun violence in New York City by selling guns to straw purchasers who convey them to criminals.

A gun control group in Virginia had found that Moates sold 22 guns used in crimes and recovered by the NYPD between 1994 and 2002.

Moates told the Daily News Thursday he settled the case "for peace of mind."

"Mayor Bloomberg probably thought he was doing the right thing, but not in my opinion," Moates said. "I didn't do anything wrong, and the fact that guns made there way up to New York City is not in my control."

Jury selection in Brooklyn Federal Court for Moates' trial was scheduled for next month.

The city settled with 21 gun shops, while three others defaulted and three cases were dismissed.

Glock27Bill

imported post

So that's 2.5 guns per year.

No info if the guns were sold directly to the criminals, or if the buyers were either (a) intermediaries without a record, or (b) honest citizens who had their guns stolen.

dyver1

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
(A gun control group in Virginia had found that Moates sold 22 guns used in crimes and recovered by the NYPD between 1994 and 2002.

So over an 8 year period, 22 guns Bob sold, made it to NYC.

How may guns does Bob sell a year?

Who did the due diligence to follow the paper trail to the purchasers to find out what they did with the guns that they purchased?

Sounds like there needs to be a LOT more investigative police work done here to see where this trail really leads, cause I betlittle of it is Bob's fault.

Just my $.02 worth

Paul

67GT390FB

imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:

No info if the guns were sold directly to the criminals, or if the buyers were either (a) intermediaries without a record, or (b) honest citizens who had their guns stolen.
there you go trying to use logic to explain gun control. it doesn't matter if criminal x stole the guns from citizen a, and sold them to criminal y in NY. It only matters that dealer b was able to sell a firearm to citizen a in the first place. See criminal y never would have committed a crime if citizen a had never been able to buy a gun from dealer b.

Nozoki

imported post

I think NYC residents have contributed more to gun violence than anyone in VA. They are the ones pulling the triggers.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A recent study of guns used in crimes showed that the largest number of illegal guns found in Massachusetts came from........NEW YORK !!!

How I wish the Baystaters would pull a Bloomberg on Bloomberg. No chance: leftists will stick together since they all agree on the anti-second amendment agenda.

I am well pleased that our legislature and Attorney General stood up to that miserable little carpetbagger and told him he be charged with a felony if he pulled anymore of his fascist stunts down here.

:cuss:

Glock27Bill

imported post

And the largest source of guns used in crimes in New York City is, well, New York state.

Virginia is an OUT OF STATE source, as is Maryland.

But let's not argue of something as silly as words.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bob did fight the good fight but it took it's toll. It's been a couple months since I talked to him but he sounded like he had been whiped. He's been keeping the southern store just so he could stay out of the limelight. He just talked like he had no fight left.

That's not the man I've known all these years. I'm actually glad he made the deal. It was killing him.

DocDaddy

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

there you go trying to use logic to explain gun control. it doesn't matter if criminal x stole the guns from citizen a, and sold them to criminal y in NY. It only matters that dealer b was able to sell a firearm to citizen a in the first place. See criminal y never would have committed a crime if citizen a had never been able to buy a gun from dealer b.
OWWWW!!!!! My brain hurts with all this algebra going on!!! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Glock27Bill

imported post

DocDaddy wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

OWWWW!!!!! My brain hurts with all this algebra going on!!! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Let me help.

Republican Algebra

A=B

B=C

therefore, A=C

Democrat Algebra

A=B

B owns guns

therefore, B is the Debil

nova

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
You forgot A=C, C=Patriot Act and endles war.
IMO both parties are in it for themselves and not the people (and our rights). In this upcoming election it will just be varying degrees of it, and the dems are muchworse. Theyhave a new AWB in their party platform. 'Nuff said.

67GT390FB

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
You forgot A=C, C=Patriot Act and endles war.

and exactly which party is going to stop the human condition.

hc=endless war

war is the one constant. there has never been a koombaya peaceful time in this world and won't be until we manage to exterminate each other so you might as well be behind the party that will at least give you the best chance of protecting yourself and your country. i really dont want to have to live in an obamanation sorry. i haven't seen a chicago politician yet who didn't want to take away my second amendment rights. i'll take republican lip sevice and justices like thomas roberts scalia and alito over ones like souter(i know bush1 put him in) ginsberg and stevens every time.