• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Close call today in NOVA

mobeewan

imported post

Here in the eastern part of Hampton there are railroad tracks that parallel Pembroke Avenue for about 3 miles. All ofthe land on the other side of the tracks arecommercialbusinesses with dirt and gravel driveways that cross the tracks. There are only 4 traffic lights along this stretch of road.When you travel south onPowhatan Parkway and arrive at Pembroke there is a 1 foot widewhite painted stop bar at the railroad tracks. There isalso2 trafficlights on theirown posts on each side of the road at the stop bar. One in the sidewalk and one in the cement median. Then you cross the RR tracks and there is enough room for a compact car and another stop bar and the lights for the intersection. There are 3 lanes, a left turn only lane, a lane to go strait across and a right turn only lane.

I have stopped for the red lights several times at night and have had people blowing their horns and yelling atme wanting me to pull accross the tracks to the next stop bar then pulling around me and stopping with their rear bumpers hanging over the tracks while waiting for the light to turn green.

The first time I everneeded to turn right at that lightand the light was red and pickup truck pulled up behind me while I was stopped at the first stop bar and set of lights. After sitting for about a minute the 2guys in thetruck started yelling and screaming at me and then they pulled around me on the left threatening to kick my ass and swerved at me almost hitting the front left corner of my trunkwhen they went around me. They thenmade a right turn accross in front of me and didn't even stop for the second red light. I just sat there the whole time with my right hand on my holstered .45 STI 2011.

By the way there are no light sensors in the pavement at the secongd set of lights so pulling up does not activate the lights to change. It appears the lights are running on timers. When those traffic lights malfunction they revert to red flashing lights for Powhatan and Yellow flashing for Pembroke.

As far as I know a red light is a red light and you do not go through it when red even if there is a nother stop bar and set of lights 30 feet furthur up.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
SNIP Man, there are some REAL crazies out there!

Yes there are. In one of Massad Ayoobs books, The Ayoob Files, I think, he relates the circumstances of several shootings for tactical education.

One of the accounts starts with a nut-case cutting somebody off or something on the road. The citizen does not become involved in the shooting--that happens a little later and involves police I think. What was memorable was that an everyday discourtesy was done by a real hardened criminal who shot it out with police just a short time later.

So, the moral of the story is that the little discourtesy or agressive driving may be indicative of a very deep viciousness.

Think about it. The really nasty ones have no regard for others. It would be just like them to cut you off, fly up behind you and change lanes just before hitting you, steal your parking space, etc.

Ever since reading that account, I make it a point to not get worked up when somebody commits a driving discourtesy against me. I leave them carefully alone.
Great points.
I agree 100%.

Here in NOVA many folks drive as thought everyone else has the arrogance to be in their way.

I want to find a way to tell them that, when they are on the Beltway, all those cars they think are behind them are actually as far in front of them as you could possibly be.

Let them wrap their heads around THAT one!

hsmith

imported post

It just amazes me what people are willing to risk their lives for. Not saying that you as an OC'er would do something stupid, but people willing to get into arguments on the road over the most mundane things. You never know who you are arguing with. If they are off a bit, if they are carrying a gun (legally or illegally).

Starting to carry has been such a humbling experience

ccunning

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
Here in the eastern part of Hampton there are railroad tracks that parallel Pembroke Avenue for about 3 miles. All of the land on the other side of the tracks are commercial businesses with dirt and gravel driveways that cross the tracks. There are only 4 traffic lights along this stretch of road. When you travel south on Powhatan Parkway and arrive at Pembroke there is a 1 foot wide white painted stop bar at the railroad tracks. There is also 2 traffic lights on their own posts on each side of the road at the stop bar. One in the sidewalk and one in the cement median. Then you cross the RR tracks and there is enough room for a compact car and another stop bar and the lights for the intersection. There are 3 lanes, a left turn only lane, a lane to go strait across and a right turn only lane.

I have stopped for the red lights several times at night and have had people blowing their horns and yelling at me wanting me to pull accross the tracks to the next stop bar then pulling around me and stopping with their rear bumpers hanging over the tracks while waiting for the light to turn green.

The first time I ever needed to turn right at that light and the light was red and pickup truck pulled up behind me while I was stopped at the first stop bar and set of lights. After sitting for about a minute the 2 guys in the truck started yelling and screaming at me and then they pulled around me on the left threatening to kick my ass and swerved at me almost hitting the front left corner of my trunk when they went around me. They then made a right turn accross in front of me and didn't even stop for the second red light. I just sat there the whole time with my right hand on my holstered .45 STI 2011.

By the way there are no light sensors in the pavement at the secongd set of lights so pulling up does not activate the lights to change. It appears the lights are running on timers. When those traffic lights malfunction they revert to red flashing lights for Powhatan and Yellow flashing  for Pembroke.

As far as I know a red light is a red light and you do not go through it when red even if there is a nother stop bar and set of lights 30 feet furthur up.
I had a bit of a hard time folling the expaination, so I looked it up on google maps. If this is the right interestion, it looks to me like it's just poorly designed. Why not just have one stop bar behind the tracks?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...3114,-76.384922&spn=0.00172,0.002092&t=h&z=19

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

fizzer wrote:
And next time I'll have my sneakers on and I'll catch that piece of.... wait, that wasn't me. never mind.:banghead:

Where's that ROFL smilie when you need it?

To the OP, you were assaulted. If there is a next time, dial 911 and let the dispatcher listen to the nut case.

Neplusultra

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Great Youtube video, you've probably seen it already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJfmCrcqhdU
I recall seeing this debunked as a staged video somewhere.
Snopes? It does have a few sections that seem so but I took it as real, if only for it's length. One area was the cameraman continuing to film even after the guy pulls a gun on them. Second was there is no way I would allow the cameraman to inch his way back to the truck. But there were other things that seemed convincing such as the amount of time it takes the guy to find the bat, etc.