• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New carry gun - S&W M&P340CT

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Got a chance to take my new lil hand cannon to the range, all I can say is WOW!!!

I finally caved to all the advice about getting a J-Frame (my first). Not much of a revolver guy, only owned one in the past, and occasionally shoot my wife's Ruger SP101. Figured since I qualify for the LE pricing with S&W, I might as well take advantage of it. Worst that could happen is I get to try something new, If I didn't like it, I could sell it and get every dollar back. I like it, I'll be keeping it.

MP340B.jpg

In addition to the Crimson Trace grips, it has an XS "Big Dot" night sight. Fantastic sight picture, wonder if there is anyway to rig one up on my LCP ;)

As expected, it kicks like a mule on PCP with .357 loads (Double Tap 125gr. GD - approx 1400+fps per DT website). Not painful, but not exactly pleasant either (ok, a little painful, but tolerable...)

Sights are dead on at 25', had to tweak the Crimson Trace a little to match it up, but now they are locked on as well.

I bought a pair of Hogue Mono-grips for range use, they help considerably for getting through a box of .38's and familiarizing myself with it. Afterwards I put the CTC laser back on for carry and to check adjustment with the last 5 rounds of .38. Laser held it's zero perfectly. Loaded it back up with the .357 Double Taps and slipped it back in my pocket.

I should have listened to all the J-Frame afficianados earlier, I am quite happy with it. It is accurate as hell at SD distance and a hoot to shoot!

Following pic was WWB 130gr. .38 Special, 5 rounds at 21' using the Crimson Trace laser.

822MP340.jpg

BlaineG

imported post

I like it! In something that light, check that your bullets are crimped enough that they are not backing out with the stiff recoil. It really sucks when a too long bullet jams the cyl.:cuss: