• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mosin Nagant

Phreakedout

imported post

Surplus ammo is the way to go I think with these guns, esp right now. its fairly cheap, you can get it as low as 15 cents a bullet. I would recommend anything in a can, but I would make sure to caution to check every bullet before firing. I have seen a few I've pulled from a can that could be down right dangerous to shoot.

FogRider

imported post

Dustin wrote:

The rifle is a blast to shoot but not too accurate past 50 meters.

Huh? That doesn't seem right. My groups were pretty wide at 100yd, but that was my bad, not the gun's. Between not being used to iron sights and the fact that it shoots a foot high at 100yd, I was doing good to maintain an eight inch group. I know I can tighten that up though.

demnogis

imported post

Yeah 50 meters what the funk? Mine's good to at least 500... Sure I can't print 10" groups that far out, but you can definitely hear it when you hit the big gong that far out. Well, if it didn't punch through that is. :D

Maybe the guy just didn't know how to adjust his iron sights...

FogRider wrote:
Dustin wrote:

The rifle is a blast to shoot but not too accurate past 50 meters.

Huh? That doesn't seem right. My groups were pretty wide at 100yd, but that was my bad, not the gun's. Between not being used to iron sights and the fact that it shoots a foot high at 100yd, I was doing good to maintain an eight inch group. I know I can tighten that up though.

FogRider

imported post

Speaking of sight adjustment, I ran across a quick fix for my low site post last night that I may leave as a permanent fix: I just slid a short chunk of black plastic insulation from some 12ga wire over the post. It made the post a hair wider (which I like) and took all of a minute to do (which I really like).

FogRider

imported post

Yeah, that was just way to easy of a fix. I think I am just going to leave it. As for the addiction, yes, I think I've got it. My right shoulder isn't gonna feel right for weeks.

Surprise bonus: I talked to my dad tonight, and he somehow got a hold of a cherry 1903A3 Springfield .30-06 for cheap (customized by a professional sharpshooter), and as soon as I make it back to Nebraska it's all mine! Woooo!

nova

imported post

I found at the Gander Mtn about an hour west of here had about 5 M44 carbines on the rack for 99 bucks each. I used a 10 dollar off coupon and got mine for 94 bucks out the door. The one I picked out looks great...great stock, great finish, and good bore. Lots of cosmoline all over it (until I cleaned it at home). My dad bought one at the same time as well since it was a good deal considering the condition of the guns.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Foggy, I used to like you, but now with the 03A3 in the mix....not so much....:p, I'd love a 03A3, but working versions are getting scarce and EXPENSIVE!!! Good score!

Nova, good score! It's funny, I was in Gander Mt here on tuesday and they had a rack of 5 M44's but they wanted $150 each. WAAAAY too much.

Those short barrel Mosins belch a LOT of fire!

FogRider

imported post

Yeah, I was slightly surprised myself. "You got a what? For how much? And you want to just give it to me!? Whoa, thanks!".

If you are looking for a M44, Big 5 on Parker & Illif had another three or four sitting there. I didn't check the price, but I doubt they were that high.

AbNo

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Most folks use two ways of raising the sight.....
How about you have him do it the easy way, and put the feckin' bayonet on? ;)

Seriously, Fog... The Nagant was DESIGNED to be fired with the bayonet on, and it DOES fire better with it.

It's the old (1890's) Russian Army way of putting spikes on EVERYTHING.

Also, it's already been mentioned once, but http://7.62x54r.net/ is a GREAT resource for Nagant info.

Especially the Mosin Nagant Rifle Model Identification Guide.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm

Seriously though, use the bayonet, buy cheaper ammo (50 cents a shot? I'd be insulted to be charged that much), get a buttpad, and have fun with your rifle. :)

The muzzle blast will vaporize green growth within a few feet of the muzzle, and even if you miss, the enemy will be reduced to shouting "WHAT?" to communicate.You'll need a recoil pad or shooting jacket. Ordinarily, this might be considered unmanly, but this rifle has a short stock for using while wearing several layers of wool for a Russian winter. It is acceptable to wear padding to fire a Mosin.
"Arthur's Hall of Viking Manliness -- The Ten Manliest Firearms".
http://arthurshall.com/x_2007_manly_firearms.shtml

Granted, he's talking about the M44 (short barrel Nagant), but.... :lol: