• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle gun law clarification

fire suppressor

imported post

I know a few months ago Seattle mayor greg nickels came out with a statement per my understanding making it illegal to carry on anytthing owned by the city reguardless of a weapons permit To my understanding this includes parks and some bulindings. To my knowledge a mayor does not have the power to override state law. Please correct me if wrong. There are a number of activities I have comming up in Seattle and I was woundering if I am legaly allowed to carry on "city property" or not. And looking for advice on what to say if I get stoped by a cop trying to enforce what the mayor said. Any help and/or clarification would be a help, as always thanks
-Fire Suppressor

Tawnos

imported post

As has been discussed here many times, the Mayor has no power to override state preemption. In the unlikely event you encounter an officer trying to use that executive order, I'd just say it violates preemption, and if further problems develop, be ready to call Randy Loun ;).

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Nothing happened, nothing changed, no low level mayor found a way to override state law.

This is the worst thing about that stupid little stunt he pulled, people actually believe it happened, and have probably been discouraged from carrying. The stupid moron WON if even one person does that.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Nothing happened, nothing changed, no low level mayor found a way to override state law.

This is the worst thing about that stupid little stunt he pulled, people actually believe it happened, and have probably been discouraged from carrying. The stupid moron WON if even one person does that.
The executive order banned nothing anywhere at any time. It only directed department heads to find a way to ban weapons. RCW 9.41.290 pretty much says it can't and won't happen. It was a media circus to get his name in the paper and on TV as a "do something guy." The reality is he did nothing.

joeroket

imported post

deanf wrote:
You've got to be kidding me. Estes v. Vashon Fire.
It was ruled that the Vashon fire distrcit could implement a rule banning firearms because it was in the best interest and safety of the general community becuase the people inside the fire department buildings are charged with protecting the citizens. It is not even close to being the same thing that Nichols is looking towards.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
deanf wrote:
You've got to be kidding me. Estes v. Vashon Fire.
It was ruled that the Vashon fire distrcit could implement a rule banning firearms because it was in the best interest and safety of the general community becuase the people inside the fire department buildings are charged with protecting the citizens. It is not even close to being the same thing that Nichols is looking towards.
It was another case of the judge making law, rather than following existing state law. Same deal as how Christine became Governor.