Thread: Optics mount for AK-47

Post imported post

I want to get optics for my AK. I'm wondering if the receiver cover replacement with pictanny rails is the way to go or should I go with the side mount. Any one that has either or has experience with either, please help me decide. Pro's and con's opinions etc...

Post imported post

I'm in the same boat.....would love to get a red dot with minor magnification on my AK, but should I use something on the side rail, or do as icode says, and get the cover mount? And depending on your opinion, where should I go to get said accessory......I'm also not looking to spend a lot.......

Post imported post

Don't bother with the dustcover mounts. They vibrate and warp and will not keep a zero worth their weight.

The side mount is the best option, plus they usually have picatinny rails on the side for mounting yet more hardware.

As far as optics are concerned look at truglo and ATN.

Stay far far far away from Barska and NCstar.

Unless that AK you have is an airsoft variety.

Post imported post

WhiteFeather is correct. No dust cover mount is worth it. My SAR 1 & 2 have side rails that are great.

Post imported post

Okay, so - I got a "dustcover" rail system from the Gun Store - it was inexpensive so I figured "what the hell" I also got a NcStar scope, also inexpensive so again, "what the hell". I got these BEFORE whitefeather replied so... I'll let y'all know how well or not they work. Please keep the input coming! Thanks again guys.

Post imported post

XS Big Dot Express sights for AK-47's is like having a red dot that NEVER goes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

If you're a big-spender..... :what:

5-rail system

Or this simple doodad, which mounts to the rear-sight base.

BW-94 Scope Mount

And here's another....

R01AK Scope Mount

Post imported post

AnaxImperator wrote:
    If you're a big-spender..... :what:

5-rail system

Or this simple doodad, which mounts to the rear-sight base.

BW-94 Scope Mount

And here's another....

R01AK Scope Mount
    Now you're just being silly :P500 bucks???? The R01AK Scope Mount looks good, thanks. I'll keep it in mind if the one that I got doesn't pan out!

Post imported post

Optics...for an AK? What is this blasphemy you speak of!?

Post imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
    LOL!!!
    I thought the same thing.
    But, I thought I'd post this anyway and it is <$70.

Marco
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
    Don't bother with the dustcover mounts. They vibrate and warp and will not keep a zero worth their weight.

The side mount is the best option, plus they usually have picatinny rails on the side for mounting yet more hardware.

As far as optics are concerned look at truglo and ATN.

Stay far far far away from Barska and NCstar.

Unless that AK you have is an airsoft variety.

i have a dust cover mount and its great. the first generation ones suck, but mine has the screws and is as solid as a rock. i have a truglo 2x red dot recticle on it and even when i remove the cover, and put it back on, it stays pretty zero'd.

Post imported post

I have that same 'dust cover(?) mount. I call it the bolt cover... but ...

Anyway... It's function is fast target aquistion for the Aimpoint... it's an AK... not some tack driver. IfI gotta hit a man-shape... center of mass or even a head at reasonable ranges... it'll do it. The AK's not a sniper rifle... or even a good varmint gun at distance. It is what it is. My AK's a pre-ban Norinco that I've had since the early 80's... Type 56S1... I think it sez on the box.Bottom folder...People who don't own 'em say they're flimsy... NOT! I've changed a few things... but it don't need trainin' wheels to drag it around like some I've seen. It is what it is. It's amedium range to closecombat weapon. If I don't bang the scope... it stays whereI bore-sighted it.

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    mercutio545 wrote:
    LOL!!!

Marco
    This is the same setup I had in Iraq.I mounted an EO Tech Holo sight over the gas port. It worked great!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    mercutio545 wrote:
    LOL!!!

Marco
    I'll second that option. UTG/Leapers is pretty awesome company, and you can't beat them for the price. I have the UTG mid-length quad rail mount for my AR, and it's great. I would never buy one of their scopes, but for accessories, cases, and mounting options, that's a good way to go.

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    LOL!!!
    This is the same setup I had in Iraq.I mounted an EO Tech Holo sight over the gas port. It worked great!
    Holo sights weren't available when I served.
    Red dot were primitive, can't remember who made it but in the gun rag Slim Pickens was the celebrity hocking itin the ads.

The M9 wasn't yet adopted as the issue firearm and OD green fatigues were authorized and only highly specialized troops wore Berets.

Marco
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    ODA 226 wrote:
    LOL!!!
    Holo sights weren't available when I served.
    Red dot were primitive, can't remember who made it but in the gun rag Slim Pickens was the celebrity hocking itin the ads.

The M9 wasn't yet adopted as the issue firearm and OD green fatigues were authorized and only highly specialized troops wore Berets.

Marco
    Damn you're old Marco:P