• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Optics mount for AK-47

icode

imported post

I want to get optics for my AK. I'm wondering if the receiver cover replacement with pictanny rails is the way to go or should I go with the side mount. Any one that has either or has experience with either, please help me decide. Pro's and con's opinions etc...

compmanio365

imported post

I'm in the same boat.....would love to get a red dot with minor magnification on my AK, but should I use something on the side rail, or do as icode says, and get the cover mount? And depending on your opinion, where should I go to get said accessory......I'm also not looking to spend a lot.......

WhiteFeather

imported post

Don't bother with the dustcover mounts. They vibrate and warp and will not keep a zero worth their weight.

The side mount is the best option, plus they usually have picatinny rails on the side for mounting yet more hardware.

As far as optics are concerned look at truglo and ATN.

Stay far far far away from Barska and NCstar.

Unless that AK you have is an airsoft variety.

icode

imported post

Okay, so - I got a "dustcover" rail system from the Gun Store - it was inexpensive so I figured "what the hell" I also got a NcStar scope, also inexpensive so again, "what the hell". I got these BEFORE whitefeather replied so... I'll let y'all know how well or not they work. Please keep the input coming! Thanks again guys.

Marco

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
Optics...for an AK? What is this blasphemy you speak of!?
LOL!!!
I thought the same thing.
But, I thought I'd post this anyway and it is <$70.
botach_1939_289548739

Marco

yeahYeah

imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
Don't bother with the dustcover mounts. They vibrate and warp and will not keep a zero worth their weight.

The side mount is the best option, plus they usually have picatinny rails on the side for mounting yet more hardware.

As far as optics are concerned look at truglo and ATN.

Stay far far far away from Barska and NCstar.

Unless that AK you have is an airsoft variety.
i have a dust cover mount and its great. the first generation ones suck, but mine has the screws and is as solid as a rock. i have a truglo 2x red dot recticle on it and even when i remove the cover, and put it back on, it stays pretty zero'd.

10.jpg

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I have that same 'dust cover(?) mount. I call it the bolt cover... but ...

Anyway... It's function is fast target aquistion for the Aimpoint... it's an AK... not some tack driver. IfI gotta hit a man-shape... center of mass or even a head at reasonable ranges... it'll do it. The AK's not a sniper rifle... or even a good varmint gun at distance. It is what it is. My AK's a pre-ban Norinco that I've had since the early 80's... Type 56S1... I think it sez on the box.Bottom folder...People who don't own 'em say they're flimsy... NOT! I've changed a few things... but it don't need trainin' wheels to drag it around like some I've seen. It is what it is. It's amedium range to closecombat weapon. If I don't bang the scope... it stays whereI bore-sighted it.

ODA 226

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
LOL!!!
botach_1939_289548739

Marco
This is the same setup I had in Iraq.I mounted an EO Tech Holo sight over the gas port. It worked great!

mercutio545

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
LOL!!!
botach_1939_289548739

Marco
I'll second that option. UTG/Leapers is pretty awesome company, and you can't beat them for the price. I have the UTG mid-length quad rail mount for my AR, and it's great. I would never buy one of their scopes, but for accessories, cases, and mounting options, that's a good way to go.

Marco

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
LOL!!!
This is the same setup I had in Iraq.I mounted an EO Tech Holo sight over the gas port. It worked great!
Holo sights weren't available when I served.
Red dot were primitive, can't remember who made it but in the gun rag Slim Pickens was the celebrity hocking itin the ads.

The M9 wasn't yet adopted as the issue firearm and OD green fatigues were authorized and only highly specialized troops wore Berets.

Marco

icode

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:
LOL!!!
Holo sights weren't available when I served.
Red dot were primitive, can't remember who made it but in the gun rag Slim Pickens was the celebrity hocking itin the ads.

The M9 wasn't yet adopted as the issue firearm and OD green fatigues were authorized and only highly specialized troops wore Berets.

Marco
Damn you're old Marco:p